Flashback Till Opening 2011

TOPGUN1993

The Monster is an underappreciated classic. While the "big" rides get most of the attention, the good ol' flats keep doing their job year after year with little fanfare. So I salute you Monster, Scrambler, Viking Fury, ShakeRattle & Roll, Zephyr and the Dodgem's. Keep up the good work of putting a smile on the face of each and everyone of your riders! :D

Plus, under Paramount, the employees were treated as and expected to be stars, compared to...

Oh yes, very much so! Here was an incentive the park instituted in order to...keep order. They were called star cards and for every 10 cards you received an actual star that would affix to your name-tag. Notice that I am being congratulated for being on time...I can almost hear the sarcasm in my managers voice when writing this out to me ;)

The Star Cards came in with Paramount, but it was an evolution of the program the park had in place before then. Before Paramount, they were known as Apple Cards. When you got so many Apple Cards, you could turn them in for an apple to put on your nametag. The first apple was green, then the next set of cards you turned in got you a red apple, the next was silver and the one after that was gold. Back in those days, Apple Cards were much harder to come by than Star Cards were. You had to really go out of your way and do something special to earn an Apple Card, but sadly the program eventually devolved to the point where supervisors were writing out Star Cards for the smallest, silliest things.

This now completes today's session of useless Kings Island history trivia. :)

I can't say as Wild Animal Safari ever made that big of an impression on me. I do remember riding the monorail...and even though I was a kid at the time it didn't really seem like a great time.

I will say that I wish the park would have kept that African theming though...it would be SO much nicer than the look of Action Zone.

Paul, as always thanks for taking the effort to post the daily photos...I am sure it is the highlight of this site for a lot of people. :)

Great photos, Paul. In the midst of University midterms, it's always the bright spot in my day biggrin.gif

I really wish I could have seen the Wild Animal Safari area of the park, as well as Adventure Village before it became the Action Zone. That being said, I really have fond memories of Action Zone, and I always found that it was clever how they tied Son of Beast into that region of the park. SOB really would have been amazing in Rivertown now that I think about it...hm.

Wow, 10 days left! As many have said, thanks for all the photos. I've seen every one, and now just 9 to go. We're down to single digit days, it's been a looooong winter!

Those sure were some nice trees on the map.......too soon?

I can't say as Wild Animal Safari ever made that big of an impression on me. I do remember riding the monorail...and even though I was a kid at the time it didn't really seem like a great time.

I agree. My mom always wanted to ride the monorail when we'd visit the park and my memories of it are how cramp and humid it was inside. We have several pics in our family photo album of the animals and plants...very few of the rest of the park, however :( I think there is a charm to vintage/defunct rides that kinda makes those who had never ridden them believe them to have been much more wonderful than they actually were...that is not to say that monorail was not a great ride - it was, just that it wasn't as wonderful as one might believe. Just to prove my point, I never rode Scoobys Ghoster Coaster, but thought it was a great little ride and very fitting for the environment. Unique, novel and a very cool look overall is my perception! However, you ask anyone who rode it and they would likely report that the line was slow, the seats were very uncomfortable and wasn't friendly to the man package. Overall perception - not a great ride! just a thought

so... when opening day hits- does that mean the end of the great array of vintage pictures from yesteryear?

I certainly hope not. I'm really enjoying this and am hoping to find time to dig through our family photos to see if I can find something to contribute :)

ki19752.jpg

This shot always reminds me of The Brady Bunch episode...although I guess it is 2 years later. I also always notice that the boy can't be "cool" because his socks are too short...and they don't have stripes! (You kids won't understand. :P )

ki.jpg

These are what all of the cool guys wore back then.

I agree. My mom always wanted to ride the monorail when we'd visit the park and my memories of it are how cramp and humid it was inside. We have several pics in our family photo album of the animals and plants...very few of the rest of the park, however :( I think there is a charm to vintage/defunct rides that kinda makes those who had never ridden them believe them to have been much more wonderful than they actually were...that is not to say that monorail was not a great ride - it was, just that it wasn't as wonderful as one might believe. Just to prove my point, I never rode Scoobys Ghoster Coaster, but thought it was a great little ride and very fitting for the environment. Unique, novel and a very cool look overall is my perception! However, you ask anyone who rode it and they would likely report that the line was slow, the seats were very uncomfortable and wasn't friendly to the man package. Overall perception - not a great ride! just a thought

Actually I remember the monorail as being air conditioned inside.

I love the pictures of Coney Mall, can I ask at what point in our lives did it become acceptable to littler and destroy the surroundings? I see it all the time everywhere not just KI, for example a mother changing the diaper of her kid in the parking lot and throwing the dirty one on the ground. Does anyone understand that one every piece of trash requires a paid person to clean it up, and also we all get to see the whole place turned into a concrete jungle. I loved the water around The Beast and the flowers everywhere, I would stand up and tell someone not to littler but in today's climate not only would I get beat up I would then get sued for infringing on someones Civil Liberties. Crazy isn't it?