Flashback Till Opening 2011

TOPGUN1993

... and will it run again at Fun Spot Park in Angola, IN?

Nope. KI's example went to Camden Park as Thunderbolt Express, where it ran for a while (1988-1999), suffered greatly from a lack of maintenance and paint, nearly rusted away, stood but didn't operate for a while (2000-2004--five seasons), and was eventually dismantled.

Fun Spot's Afterburner came from Boardwalk and Baseball, and had an elevator...though the 'vator seldom (if ever) worked at Fun Spot...The coaster itself last operated in 2008. To say it faces a glum future is to be fairly accurate, most likely.

This picture takes me back to a great time in my life, fear of coasters and the thought that everything was soooooo big. I loved the thrill of not knowing what I was in for until I stepped foot on the ride and experienced it first hand. Love the picture and thanks for restarting my memories.

Terpy,

Glad you posted that. I've been confused/misinformed for a long time and was holding out on some hope that I would get to ride my first looping coaster again.

Top Gun, that is one of if not the best photo I have ever seen of KI! I would love to have a glossy 8X10 in a frame.

Photo 1

33241662002018cae30eb.jpg

I saved this photo until now, because it's one of my all time favorite KI photos I've come across. (1978) :)

And if your worrying what will happen to this topic, don't.

That is a beautiful photo Paul, thank you for curing the off-season blues.

Paul:

I know how you don't like 'junk posts.' I also know just how modest you can be. At this point, I truly don't care.

I won't feel good about myself unless I point out publicly just how incredible your contributions here (and elsewhere) are, your immense talent, your unique perspectives.

Thanks for this amazing thread. It helped make a long and sometimes frustrating winter/spring go by with much more speed and pleasure.

Have an incredible summer, and keep on doing the great stuff you do!

Terp, who appreciated this thread, appreciates Paul and can't wait to see what Paul does next in life!

I'd also like to chime in and say thank you for this thread. I was a bit sad that the 5@5 did not return this year as KI said that it would. However, this thread really served as a replacement.

I really hope folks at the park have discovered this thread and checked it daily. It would be pretty amazing if they decided to do something like it themselves. I can only imagine that they must have a whole lot of photos stored somewhere. It would be easier than answering questions daily to just post another photo each day.

I also remember when they used to play rock music in The Beast and racer stations, I swear I remember hearing AC/DC before I rode The Beast my 1st time. Or maybe I was just so scared, that I imagined it.

And for some reason, AC/DC was going through my head last Friday as I got my 100th coaster credit... :lol:

THUNDER! (aw, aw, aw, aw, aw, aw, aw, aw, aw)

^I saw The Razor's Edge tour...the Thunderstruck opening will always be one of my more memorable concert events! :)

I can only imagine that they must have a whole lot of photos stored somewhere.

I would love for this to be true...but i'm not sure if it is. Years ago on this site a poster who claimed to have been there said that one of the new owners chucked about everything that wasn't nailed down when they took over. :(

I also remember when they used to play rock music in The Beast and racer stations, I swear I remember hearing AC/DC before I rode The Beast my 1st time. Or maybe I was just so scared, that I imagined it.

And for some reason, AC/DC was going through my head last Friday as I got my 100th coaster credit... :lol:

THUNDER! (aw, aw, aw, aw, aw, aw, aw, aw, aw)

I am currently sitting on 95 coasters as far as my credits go. Not sure when I`ll break into 100. I had hoped to do it this spring by visiting Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens Williamsburg. But that doesn`t look as likely anymore. I`m still hopeful I`ll break 100.

Paul, this has been one of the best threads we`ve had on here. It certainly made the offseason fly by just a little bit quicker. Thanks once again for taking the time to do this topic. It is a well deserved thanks!

I hope people realize just how amazing this site is...and I'm not just saying that cuz I'm stuck working at a school on a Sat :lol:

I learn much more about the amusement industry from this site than from everything else combined. Not only do we have access to very well informed people, we've got some incredible talent on these boards. Really, where else do you get this many free hours of quality entertainment?

I have learned a ton about something I very dear to me and I thank all of you for that. I've had conversations with folks who I thought were strangers only to find that we already know each other from this site. I had that happen with Terpy. We were chatting and I really liked the guy and then I introduced myself and he simply said (in Terpy fashion) "you know who I am" and all of a sudden a new acquaintance morphed into an old friend. Very cool! I've had it happen in que lines and even on DB (including a, check out the guy with the green wig, Oh that's Rotag) :lol:

I've also seen a ton of really cool stuff and gotten a lot of laughter from this site :lol:

Enjoy the warm fuzzy and give someone a hug today.

I hope people realize just how amazing this site is...and I'm not just saying that cuz I'm stuck working at a school on a Sat :lol:

I learn much more about the amusement industry from this site than from everything else combined. Not only do we have access to very well informed people, we've got some incredible talent on these boards. Really, where else do you get this many free hours of quality entertainment?

I have learned a ton about something I very dear to me and I thank all of you for that. I've had conversations with folks who I thought were strangers only to find that we already know each other from this site. I had that happen with Terpy. We were chatting and I really liked the guy and then I introduced myself and he simply said (in Terpy fashion) "you know who I am" and all of a sudden a new acquaintance morphed into an old friend. Very cool! I've had it happen in que lines and even on DB (including a, check out the guy with the green wig, Oh that's Rotag) :lol:

I've also seen a ton of really cool stuff and gotten a lot of laughter from this site :lol:

Enjoy the warm fuzzy and give someone a hug today.

Absolutely. I couldn't have said it better. I've been a lurker on the site for a long time (probably 4 or 5 years), but I finally made a profile and such this year when I knew that a Gold Pass was in my future. I know that I'm still relatively new to the board and most likely a stranger to many of you, but coming to this site is just as nice as hanging out with old friends. I hope to meet up with some of you guys this season so I can share some genuine enthusiasm for the park!

Let's make '11 the best Kings Island season yet.

I just wanted to chime in as well and thank you for this thread! ;) It's been a great deal of fun logging on everyday awaiting the next photo of the day. And it's hard to believe that those 100 days went by so fast! Paul I think the only thing left now is to do a follow up of all the photos that didn't make the list just to get us to full season daily operations May 13th ;) Thanks again!

~Josh