Flashback Till Opening 2011

TOPGUN1993

Actually I think the Cedar Fair maps are kind of cute in their silly cartoonlike portrayal of the coasters.

Actually, Kings Island's current park map is still Paramount-style. They have simply "updated" them with the new paint schemes and rides since 1999, which is when the current map made its debut, or so I think...could have been 1998. Know it was 1997, though.

Ah yes, spring, before the plants covered the entire walkway. Between that beautiful arch structure and the nice, arched wooden bridges that used to cross the creeks, I don't know which I miss more...

Thanks for that! (Several of these still exist, including at Six Flags Over Georgia and at Carowinds. After KI removed the covered archway from the location shown in TOPGUN1993's photo, they relocated a portion of it over by what is now Chick-Fil-A, but several years ago, that portion, too, was removed, I believe)...

I believe they didn`t relocate it. Rather, they shortened it. Instead of being a connector to Rivertown, they cut it in half, and put tables in it for the food stands in that area.

Is there an area like that still at KD? I was watching roller coaster the other day, and I had seen something just like that.

Ah yes, spring, before the plants covered the entire walkway.

There are only 4 things that I still remember vividly from my very first trip to Kings Island ever...the site of the fountains & the Eiffel Tower as I entered, riding the Rotor & The Enchanted Voyage (over and over) and walking underneath the vine covered walkway. As a kid I didn't comprehend how they made the plants grow in a tunnel shape. :lol: (Which made it even more amazing to me.)

That is why whenever I see a tree...or in the case of Cedar Fair lots of trees removed I grieve because landscaping IS a big part of the magic of the park, even from the point of view from a kid.

Paul, thanks for the continuing cool photos.

I believe they didn`t relocate it. Rather, they shortened it. Instead of being a connector to Rivertown, they cut it in half, and put tables in it for the food stands in that area.

I was thinking that I didn't remember the arch being that long as seen in the picture, but now that you mentioned that it was shortened I feel my memory is not as bad as I had thought. smile.gif

My biggest memory of the arch walkway was it being cooler under there on those hot days! Anybody remember what year they took it down completely?

:( yet another part of Kings Island that Paramount destroyed....

Eventually someone who has a better memory than I will supply the answer of when the first part of the tunnel was removed...but Paramount is not responsible for putting the tunnel to rest, Cedar Fair is. The (half) tunnel was still at the park through the 2007 season...it was gone when the park opened in 2008. :angry:

Anybody remember what year they took it down completely?

I'm surprised that you would phrase your question like that knowing how it might be answered. :D

I was hoping it would be answered before a certain Terpy showed up! smile.gif

This certain Terpy is now here with a new and different answer, apparently.

No....not that answer...a different question! When it was first partially removed? I don't know.

But I bet someone does! :)

And TOPGUN1993, thanks so much for the comparison pictures...I LOVE those....

Indeed, the tunnel was split directly in the middle, which then they could convert the other end into a dumpster/freezer area for the popular food stand.

Am I being too cynical if I think that they got rid of the tunnel to force more people (especially those with kids) to walk past the ice cream stand?

The tunnel side by side shots are great, thanks TOPGUN1993. It's funny that the tunnel dead ends into a wooden fence. Usually a tunnel refers to an object with 2 openings... not an opening and a fence! Did they rename it "The Shady Cave"?

CoastersRZ, Im glad I'm not the only one who noticed the arch. Weird how little details like that stand out.

This is the bestest thread ever!!!