Flashback Till Opening 2011

TOPGUN1993

A day late...but I resized and tilted both of the photos Paul provided so that they matched...then I erased the area where the full tunnel was back in the day just so I could get an idea for myself of where it was.

tunnels.jpg

(Sorry if it bores anyone but I found it interesting. :) )

now that you got me looking closer @ it; it has 2 blue trains instead of 1 red & 1 blue.

The Racer had one train of each color on a given side until Cedar Fair turned recar back forward. :)

In the picture, both are going forward. To my knowledge, when going forward, there was always a red side and blue side.

A day late...but I resized and tilted both of the photos Paul provided so that they matched...then I erased the area where the full tunnel was back in the day just so I could get an idea for myself of where it was.

tunnels.jpg

Very Cool! You got some serious Photoshop skills! Wouldn't it be great if the tunnel were still there. Great place to take a break, and a way to get to DB faster.

tunnels.jpg

Very Cool! You got some serious Photoshop skills! Wouldn't it be great if the tunnel were still there. Great place to take a break, and a way to get to DB faster.

That would be a great shortcut to DB especially since it kind of looked like a snake :)

Once again very cool photos, I enjoy looking at the new ones every day.

I thought I'd share this in here since it fits in with the flashback till opening idea, I'm sure some of you may have seen this video, but for those who have not I just found it and it's very cool. It's a video of the park in 1981, mainly focused on The Bat, but shows other rides as well, it's a very cool video I thought.

Look how much those trains swing!

^Relatively speaking.

I doubt maintenance would say Bat's swinging was 'better':lol:. It was the down fall of the rides because it very quickly wore out and I believe physically broke the shocks used to absorb the force of those swings. It was the undooing of The Bat. Though the year it closed a ride op on ET told my family that it was sinking.

^Relatively speaking.

I doubt maintenance would say Bat's swinging was 'better':lol:. It was the down fall of the rides because it very quickly wore out and I believe physically broke the shocks used to absorb the force of those swings. It was the undooing of The Bat. Though the year it closed a ride op on ET told my family that it was sinking.

I was always told it was taken down because someone had died on it when I was a younger. It want not till I joined this site that I learned the truth.

I always believed that, on Demon Drop, a car failed to stop and launched off the end killing 4 inside and 5 on the ground.

I work at an elem. school, we rule the stupid rumor arena. It's amazing how every year we have pregnant 5th graders:lol:

I rode (or slid?) it back in the early '90's. I'm not sure how tall it is, but it felt like a straight free fall for the first several feet. And it felt much taller than it looks....

And the issue that proceeded after doing so was having no way to fix your...unmentionables down at the bottom without everyone seeing! At least the Cliff at the Beach has a pool at the bottom for fixing ones "issues". I agree with you though, once you would reach the top it looked (and felt) like your were headed straight down! You almost had to be dared to go through with it :)

I rode (or slid?) it back in the early '90's. I'm not sure how tall it is, but it felt like a straight free fall for the first several feet. And it felt much taller than it looks....

I agree with you though, once you would reach the top it looked (and felt) like your were headed straight down! You almost had to be dared to go through with it. :)

I know what you mean. I hate heights. (But I have overcame my fear mostly.) Back then when I did this it was sponsered by Nestea. They had a big banner saying "Take the Nestea Plunge"...so even after the banner was gone that is what we always called it.

Anyway, on my first time doing it...which I was only doing it because everyone else I was with wanted to do it...I was in shock when I got up there and saw that it looked like you were just pushing yourself off of a cliff. You really couldn't see even a hint of the slide! While waiting for my turn I noticed that the female op would give the kids a push over the edge if they asked. When it was my turn and I was sitting in the water waiting to go I was talking to her...I told her I hated heights and really didn't want to do this...so would she mind just giving me a shove when it was my turn to go. She looked at me a little surprised....but she said sure....but then she said with genuine concern "You gotta promise not to grab me and pull me down with you"! It is still one of my most memorable moments at the park. :)

After that I did ride it a few times everytime we went to Water Works,but it was never because I personally liked it... but at least I never had to be pushed off the edge again.

aztrees.jpg

I was in shock when I got up there and saw that it looked like you were just pushing yourself off of a cliff. You really couldn't see even a hint of the slide!

You're right. It was no more than a sit and fall. I would estimate it to have only been about a 2 ft straight section and then a complete freefall from there on. I was more concerned about my trunks ripping once I hit the bottom than I was getting down there ;) Still one of the more thrilling water rides I've been on...less on the pleasurable side, however. And I do remember the Nestea banner from the 1990 season. When working at KI we all called it "the plunge" as well...what was its actual name?

~Josh