Windseeker & Coney Mall Construction Continues

Although April 30th may seem like an eternity away for many park lovers, that doesn't mean that construction isn't continuing at a feverish pace in the Coney Mall section of Kings Island.

In 2011, Kings Island will present WindSeeker - an all-new 301' swinging thrill ride - to the masses, but it doesn’t stop there. In line with Cedar Fair’s commitment to improving the over all look and feel of the park, the entire Coney Mall section of the park is getting some much-needed attention. Gone are the days when park patrons will walk through Coney Mall on the dreaded blacktop surface. This spring, you will see very classy-looking brick pavers line the walkways similar to the entrance to the park, which was renovated a few years back.

KICentral was invited into the park for an exclusive tour to see how things are progressing. Much of Coney Mall looks great now, while other areas are still a work in progress. Oh yeah – and WindSeeker seems like it’s just dying to go vertical!

Check out the photos by clicking the link below:

http://www.KICentral.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=333

It's great that they're changing to the pavers. It will improve the KI experience greatly, I'm sure. Aesthetics are very important, and KI has always lived up to my visual expectations. One thing is still missing (for me at least). Does anyone know if there's any information on whether they plan to change the background music played throughout the park this year? (I hate to beat a dead horse, but asking once a year is not too much, I hope.) I've asked CR, but all I've gotten are form letters.

Anyway, I'm happy to see the changes taking place there in CM. It looks like a lot of great planning went into it.:)

great update!

my favorite time to see pictures of the park is when everything is covered in snow and/or in rehab.

*thought i'd add, in the picture of shake, rattle, and roll, you said it was the monster. ;)

EDIT: that has since been fixed, see post #9

thanks, robbie :)

Edited by coaster_junky

Looks like that bathroom might be getting some love as well.

Hopefully it gets a complete overhaul like the bathroom in Planet Snoopy did in '06 (next to Sally's Sea Plane) instead of the "cosmetic upgrade" its conjoined twin received in '09 (facing Diamondback). Although I wouldn't mind having all the restrooms in the park with those hand dryers. :)

I would. I HATE, HATE, HATE Dyson driers. So much so that I would think seven times before even looking at a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Not sanitary (in my opinion, though for some reason the NSF does not agree), don't work very well (at least for me)...must have cost less than Xlerators, the gold standard in hand drying (though noisy!).

And Xlerator is MADE IN THE USA:

http://www.exceldrye...xcel-Dryers.php

Dyson? Can you say Malaysia?

Why not?

Why are there some games buildings right in the middle of the pathway? Why did there used to be tree planters right in the middle of the Coney Mall midway? Sometimes there are valid reasons for decisions. Just think how seeing WindSeeker terminating the Coney Mall axis will look when you stroll down Coney Mall. Ok, enough with the architecture speak. It will definitely look better than the area used to look, when it was essentially just an exit area, and the entrance for the seldom ridden FX Theater.

Why not? It's sure to be beautiful as a towering landmark (or as Mr. Disney would say, a "weenie") at the far end of the Coney Mall area. It's also continued Cedar Fair's pattern of adding a new ride to an area of the park, and renovating that area in turn. First Rivertown, then Planet Snoopy, and now Coney Mall.

Thematically (though I don't imagine this was necessarily their intention), the idea of a turbo-charged yo-yo swing fits very, very well with the idea of the Coney Mall area. A new take on a classic ride. And it's placed such that it'll provide a great view of the entire park in one glance, and a lot of wilderness with another. I think it's great, and will liven up that area of the park.

Now if only they could really renovate Coney Mall... If it lived up to its potential and had twinkling carnival lights, red-white-and-blue nostalgic coloring, a bright, freshly painted Racer (that actually raced), flags everywhere, and some cheap, fun food options, it might truly be a beautiful place to spend an evening. And how romantic would the Tower Gardens be, a couple huddled together by the waterfall, fish swimming through the ponds, with the shrieks of joy and the clank of the roller coasters and the old-timey music of Coney Mall fading in the distance.....

GYK, a romantic.

...And how romantic would the Tower Gardens be, a couple huddled together by the waterfall, fish swimming through the ponds, with the shrieks of joy and the clank of the roller coasters and the old-timey music of Coney Mall fading in the distance.....

Fish shrieking with joy? The mind...boggles! :)

Or perhaps it was the roller coasters shrieking with lack of grease...oh, wait...that's at The Finest Theme Park In New Jersey (I hear the.....rolling thunder)!

Terp, amateur ichthyologist/audiologist