Windseeker & Coney Mall Construction Continues

Terp try to post something relevant to the topic rather then worthless nonsense you've been posting lately.

I'd also like to see Vortex's que line reworked to remove the "midway line" aspect that it is currently. I didn't photoshop this into the photo but having a planter dividing the line from the midway rather then a metal fence would make the area look much nicer. And I believe Vortex could benefit from a series of switchbacks added.

vortexnewque3.jpg

(Photoshopped)

vortexnewque4.jpg

(Non Photoshopped)

Lay off of Interpreter there Paul!

Yes, the exit at Dollywood can be a bottleneck, since you are essentially funneled through one gift shop, with an opening of maybe twenty feet.

I don`t have a problem with Vortex`s queue. Remember, that at one point in time, back in the days of The Bat. The queue was longer. there were additional queues located beneath the queues in the station. Those have long since been removed. With the ride having decent capacity, its line only spills out past the "entrance" on only the busiest of days. The issue that I have, is few people, especially first time park goers, actually realize where the line forms for the queue, as it is not readily marked.

I do think The Vortex line would look better like that but as Robbie pointed out that only on the busiest of busy days does it spill out for a long distance. Also, when Vortex runs three trains at once it has an amazing capacity and can move the line through very fast.

It's also continued Cedar Fair's pattern of adding a new ride to an area of the park, and renovating that area in turn. First Rivertown, then Planet Snoopy, and now Coney Mall.

I really hope this pattern continues to Action Zone next year :)

And I'd love to see some of the other improvements to Coney mall that you mention - even just a change to the music could help bring a different feeling to the area.

I like Interpreter's post, he was proving a legitimate point. Sure, he has a roundabout way of going about it, but it was indeed relevant.

Now about The Vortex queue, I do very much agree that it would be benefited by the switchback idea. It often spills out into the midway on busy days, and blocks the midway at times. I like the idea a lot!

And btw, TOPGUN, I love your Photoshops! You always do a great job on your illustrations.

It's also continued Cedar Fair's pattern of adding a new ride to an area of the park, and renovating that area in turn. First Rivertown, then Planet Snoopy, and now Coney Mall.

And I'd love to see some of the other improvements to Coney mall that you mention - even just a change to the music could help bring a different feeling to the area.

Whats Wrong with the music?

There was a time when each area of the park played its own, appropriate music, not unlike a Disney Park. There was German music (and food and entertainment and rides) in the Oktoberfest area, and really extravagent, grand orchestral music (and movie scores) on International Street, for example. Now, with the exception of Boomerang Bay, all of the park plays the same music at the same time - generally, a playlist of light pop-hits from the last 5 - 10 years. It's not altogether unpleasant or inappropriate.... It's just not very thematic and is yet another small step towards an amusement park where a theme park used to be.

There was a time when each area of the park played its own, appropriate music, not unlike a Disney Park. There was German music (and food and entertainment and rides) in the Oktoberfest area, and really extravagent, grand orchestral music (and movie scores) on International Street, for example. Now, with the exception of Boomerang Bay, all of the park plays the same music at the same time - generally, a playlist of light pop-hits from the last 5 - 10 years. It's not altogether unpleasant or inappropriate.... It's just not very thematic and is yet another small step towards an amusement park where a theme park used to be.

I thought Coney Mall Still played older 70-80's music from what I remember I was singing along to Karma Chelmeleon last year in Coney Mall!

Looks like they pulled a MaxAire just jamming the ride where ever it was easiest to fit. It might grow on me Im not sure buts it wouldn't be my first pick to put the ride.

My guess is, the idea was to place it as to give Coney Mall a towering landmark at the base. Ala Eiffel Tower/International Street. Problem is, Coney Mall isn't a straight shot... it veers to the North past the Zephyr.

Shaggy

Guest PizzaBaby027

I thought Coney Mall Still played older 70-80's music from what I remember I was singing along to Karma Chelmeleon last year in Coney Mall!

March they said, I believe.

To the topic of the queue line for Vortex, I don't like currently how there is a iron fence off to the side of the midway, I'd rather see switchbacks. I always see people confused where the enterance to the line is for Vortex because the fence kind of blends in. I'd like to see switchbacks, closer to the "queue house" enterance (up the stairs). They'd take up less space, if there were 2-4 switchbacks and would allow for less confusion. Just my opinion on that fact.

As for WindSeeker and that area of Coney, I'm wondering how the platform, loading and unloading will look.

windseeker1.jpg?r=1296948354465

Just thinking out loud here, please feel free to offer your opinions, will the only concrete be the octagon? Where will the operating booth be? Where will the queue lines be? Where will the lights be? Etc. Tons of questions in my mind about this but just wondering!

That is just the foundation pier cap. I`d venture to say that the actual ride pad, or loading area, will be a little bit bigger than that area. Probably about 1.5 times as big (it will likely extend towards The Racer a little bit more than that current run of concrete. If I had to guess, I`d say that the operator booth, (and likely the extends of the loading pad, will be about where those two orange cones are. One of those cones is sitting on a pipe. That pipe likely contain conduit that will be run to the conduit pipe that are located in the center of the foundation area. Once vertical construction starts in mid-March, we might get a better idea too. Keep in mind that we are likely about a week or two out from the first pieces arriving on site at KI. The pieces are expected to arrive in mid-February, with vertical construction slated for early March. Depending on weather, the ride may only take a week or two to actually erect the steel for the ride.

To the topic of the queue line for Vortex, I don't like currently how there is a iron fence off to the side of the midway, I'd rather see switchbacks. I always see people confused where the enterance to the line is for Vortex because the fence kind of blends in. I'd like to see switchbacks, closer to the "queue house" enterance (up the stairs). They'd take up less space, if there were 2-4 switchbacks and would allow for less confusion. Just my opinion on that fact.

As for WindSeeker and that area of Coney, I'm wondering how the platform, loading and unloading will look.

windseeker1.jpg?r=1296948354465

Just thinking out loud here, please feel free to offer your opinions, will the only concrete be the octagon? Where will the operating booth be? Where will the queue lines be? Where will the lights be? Etc. Tons of questions in my mind about this but just wondering!

You should have seen how it was in the early years of Vortex without switchback queues-the line would snake all the way out along the midway causing all kinds of conjestion. I always wondered what management was thinking in their decision not to build a bunch of queues.

^That used to be one of the major differences between CP and KI-starting with Magnum, CP would always build huge queue areas to make sure that the midways wouldn't be overflowing and would make sure to fill up the queues on busy days-it seems like KI at least in the 90's would let lines snake out onto the midway and would not fill up queues on busy days-The Beast was a good example of this.

And people back then in the Cinci area would nicely wait, virtually never cutting line or being rude. One of the reasons that switchbacks exist is to keep people in order that they appeared in line, and to stop/lessen linejumping. Back then, at KI, that was rarely necessary, and I think then current management was proud of that. Also, back then, KI had automatic gates on most rides, while Cedar Point still had open chutes with yellow (or red) safety lines. Both parks seemed very proud of their own system. There was a KI way, and a CP way, and they were very different. CP talked to guests...many KI rides had operators who were instructed to load in silence. It was a very different time.

And many of the times that there was a huge line built up across the midway, the few switchback queues in the station were....closed, with the shortcuts detouring them open instead. Same for Beast. KI was famous for this, among many other things.

I think you must of just went on off days, I often recall queing for Vortex.

I know at Beast, the crew will open "que house #2" first (the one parallel to the ramp). Then they will open "que house #1"(The one near the on ride photo) second. And finally the station que lines third/last. In the summer the station is a lot hotter when you have people in line in the station ques, thus why it's last. Which is also why you may see the station ques used first during Halloween Haunt days.

During Halloween Haunt nights the line for Beast rounded the corner and ended in front of LaRosas, and this includes all ques open. Judging from this I'm sure Vortex could greatly benefit from additional que lines. With the new addition of WindSeeker I'm sure Vortex will have more riders this season.

Just a little que line tidbit B)

Something of interest: I was as at a Larosas earlier today and I saw a poster advertising WindSeeker and under the logo for Kings Island it said What's Up?....

That's all I got.

If this is the parks slogan this year, it'll be yet another terrible slogan for Kings Island.

Something of interest: I was as at a Larosas earlier today and I saw a poster advertising WindSeeker and under the logo for Kings Island it said What's Up?....

That's all I got.

If this is the parks slogan this year, it'll be yet another terrible slogan for Kings Island.

What's Up? come smell the funnel cakes. where else? the fun & only.