Windseeker & Coney Mall Construction Continues

^I hope so! I feel like X-Base has been an extremely neglected part of the park for some time now. I felt the same about Coney Mall as well. So I'm glad its getting some attention.

IMO, X-Base and Action Zone are both in need of some attention.

I'd also much rather not have pavers in X-Base. I think that it fits the secret government hanger theme better.

But, if X-Base is not re-paved, where will the pavers end? Under The Racer? Partially inside X-Base? Or even at the beginning of the path that runs between Zephyr and the carnival games?

Yeah, I never even noticed the runway pattern until I looked it up on Google Maps a few weeks ago. Is it still there?

And the pavers would probably end under the X-Base sign. But that's just my guess.

EDIT:

Look at it on Google Maps, the blacktop extends past Racer a little bit. I'm guessing they'll do that with the pavers too.

Something of interest: I was as at a Larosas earlier today and I saw a poster advertising WindSeeker and under the logo for Kings Island it said What's Up?....

That's all I got.

If this is the parks slogan this year, it'll be yet another terrible slogan for Kings Island.

What's Up? come smell the funnel cakes. where else? the fun & only.

If that is really their slogan for 2011, some marketing guy should be fired. I thought it amusing when the "Cedar Point" response to "where else?" was said. I just cringe thinking of answers to "what's up?" - how about "food prices" in all likelihood.

I agree with corn4ahead, I really hope that AZ gets a face lift next year. Get rid of that awful looking water tower, add some shrubs, and get the place looking right. Action Zone feels like a Wal-Mart parking lot with some rides in it.

Last time I checked, that was the themeing they were going for. I'd just like to see the water tower get some paint and then it'll look a lot better. But Kings Island tweeted that verticle construction will start soon, so that's something to look forward to. I can't wait to see what this will look like finished!

In reality, the themed sections of KI aren`t as distinct as what they used to be when the park originally opened. I mean, technically there is still an Oktoberfest area of the park. But besides the Festhaus, there is no real connection to the original German heritage of the Cincinnati area. (Remember, the Hofbrauhaus that opened in Newport in 2003, was the first one to open in the United States). Once upon a time, the Festhaus actually served German cuisine. Now, it features other nationalities of food but no German food...

And at one point in time, the uniforms were themed area dependent, and in some cases, ride dependent. Those are long since a thing of the past.

Ok, before I post this information let me begin by saying that I have no idea if this is/for WindSeeker, and am not saying that it is, but I just thought that I would throw this out there.

This morning, as I was heading down I-275 to NKU, I witnessed a cavalry of flat-bed big rigs (I am pretty sure that there were 3 trucks, plus the guidance truck in the front). Each truck was carrying a large cylinder, and each was probably around 50 - 60 feet in length. These cylinders looked as though they were around the same circumference as the structure of Drop Tower, and I am fairly sure that these are NOT some parade of giant drainage pipes, as the pieces did appear to be painted a glistening silverish white color. The most interesting thing though, is how the pieces looked at the ends......almost like connectors of some sort.

The parade of trucks was headed north/east on I-275.

Again, please don't bash this comment, I just thought that it was a nice little observation.

Ok, before I post this information let me begin by saying that I have no idea if this is/for WindSeeker, and am not saying that it is, but I just thought that I would throw this out there.

This morning, as I was heading down I-275 to NKU, I witnessed a cavalry of flat-bed big rigs (I am pretty sure that there were 3 trucks, plus the guidance truck in the front). Each truck was carrying a large cylinder, and each was probably around 50 - 60 feet in length. These cylinders looked as though they were around the same circumference as the structure of Drop Tower, and I am fairly sure that these are NOT some parade of giant drainage pipes, as the pieces did appear to be painted a glistening silverish white color. The most interesting thing though, is how the pieces looked at the ends......almost like connectors of some sort.

The parade of trucks was headed north/east on I-275.

Again, please don't bash this comment, I just thought that it was a nice little observation.

That may very well be WindSeeker. Oddly enough, the Webcam hasn't been working on my Laptop for the past 2 days... perhaps they are beginning vertical construction?

I tried to get on the webcam last night, and was unable to load the image. I thought vertical construction wasn`t supposed to start until March. However, pieces for WindSeeker were supposed to start arriving in mid-February. Clearly the 17th is mid February. It will be interesting to see if we have any reports of pieces showing up in the Kings Island parking lot...

If that is WindSeeker, then its right about on schedule, pieces were supposed to arrive mid February and go vertical in early March.

I don't think there's any reason to suspect that the downtime of the webcam has anything to do with the pieces arriving....then again, it has been nearly a week of downtime...and why does it always crash right when the good stuff is happening?.....its a conspiracy! Kings Island is keeping it from us! Its so clear now! :P

when it does start going vertical it won't take long before it is visible from just about anywhere in or around Mason.

Obviously, it wasn't a no-brainer when Drop Tower was going vertical. But then again, you won't see it until it get's a good 200 feet, well at least from where I'm at.

The webcam has been up earlier in the week. In fact, see Indyguy4KI`s post on Monday which includes a screen capture of when they were pouring concrete around the ride area for WindSeeker. Its only been down for a few days now, not an entire week.

Sorry, I remember it being down over the weekend and into the week for some reason. Must have been my browser.

And now, the webcam is back up for me.

windseeker1.jpg

Looks like the concrete is finished being poured for the midway.