Windseeker & Coney Mall Construction Continues

The webcam is blurry, especially on the left side of the frame. Anyone else notice this? I am thinking that the lens might be dirty and having issues focusing?

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/fun/webcams/index.cfm

not to change the subject... but in the image on the webcam page at the top of fireworks coming from the Eiffel Tower.... that's a Paramount era image isn't it?

I believe so, Nights of Fire I think...

Guest TombraiderTy

^Actually, Action Theater is there. It just wasn't modeled like Racer or WindSeeker were, but is instead part of the map.

The original-

windseeker03.jpg

I wouldn't go jumping to conclusions though. I don't think Troika, Backlot or Drop Tower were modeled either.

Don Helbig said this in the article:

It's gonna be higher than the Drop Tower

Obviously, this shows how generic the names are at Kings Island, because the writer of the article didn't capitalize it! :)

The tower itself is not taller than Drop Tower, but you will be higher than the drop point when you are riding.

This was covered last month, someone posted pics of how a new que could be added to Vortex. There is no need for that. That ride is almost 25 years old and no one really cares about it anymore. Plus, it had extra que under the station once upon time and it was removed because they never used it. Vortex is on it's last leg. I suspect it will vanish in the next 5 years. No reason tocdo any upgrades on it!

This was covered last month, someone posted pics of how a new que could be added to Vortex. There is no need for that. That ride is almost 25 years old and no one really cares about it anymore. Plus, it had extra que under the station once upon time and it was removed because they never used it. Vortex is on it's last leg. I suspect it will vanish in the next 5 years. No reason tocdo any upgrades on it!

Who cares how old Vortex is? That doesn't mean nobody cares about it. Um....exactly how old is The Beast? Racer? Pretty sure people still care about those and they are much older than Vortex. It's still a very popular ride and its popularity will most likely be increased with the new foot traffic going towards that section of the park with WindSeeker opening this year!

He's just still being a crybaby because the ERT moved to Vortex this year. He figures if he whines on this board enough it will change.

Lines for Vortex can still spill out into the midway and plenty enjoy riding it. I doubt it will go anywhere any time soon.

Well, I was going to say that exact thing lol but you said it for me! I don't know why someone insists on posting on a KI thread if they vowed to never step foot in said park again. Oh well, I'm sure there will be plenty of people riding Vortex and WindSeeker to make up for his "boycott".

Who cares how old Vortex is? That doesn't mean nobody cares about it. Um....exactly how old is The Beast? Racer? Pretty sure people still care about those and they are much older than Vortex. It's still a very popular ride and its popularity will most likely be increased with the new foot traffic going towards that section of the park with WindSeeker opening this year!

Well, the fact is, Beast and Racer are actually good coasters. Wood coasters get better with age, typically. Some don't, obviously, but Beast And Racer DO get better with age. Steel coasters

are NOT like that. They get fatigued, and end up getting so rough, you have to take them out. Vortex never was that great to start with. It was unique for maybe 3 or 4 years, because

for awhile, it had the most loops of any coaster in the country. Then GASM came out and it had 7 loops. Arrow loopers, though are going to start disappearing from the landscape more

and more, since they are not made anymore. Most of Toomer's coasters were just not very good. Vortex was actually one of his better ones, which really isn't saying much. Just most of

the other ones like it were more unrerideable than Vortex. So, keep in mind, wood coasters-better with age, steel coasters-worse with age. It will be interesting to see how well

B&M's hold up. They are in their 20th year, and the ones that old are not doing so hot, but from Raptor on, most are holding up a lot better. Maybe they will change this theory!

Well, the fact is, Beast and Racer are actually good coasters. Wood coasters get better with age, typically. Some don't, obviously, but Beast And Racer DO get better with age. Steel coasters

are NOT like that. They get fatigued, and end up getting so rough, you have to take them out. Vortex never was that great to start with. It was unique for maybe 3 or 4 years, because

for awhile, it had the most loops of any coaster in the country. Then GASM came out and it had 7 loops. Arrow loopers, though are going to start disappearing from the landscape more

and more, since they are not made anymore. Most of Toomer's coasters were just not very good. Vortex was actually one of his better ones, which really isn't saying much. Just most of

the other ones like it were more unrerideable than Vortex. So, keep in mind, wood coasters-better with age, steel coasters-worse with age. It will be interesting to see how well

B&M's hold up. They are in their 20th year, and the ones that old are not doing so hot, but from Raptor on, most are holding up a lot better. Maybe they will change this theory!

Racer has improved with age?!? Spoken like someone who never rode it in the 70s and 80s.

--Beatle, who enjoys Vortex far more than any B oring & M ediocre coaster he has ever ridden

^I agree with you. It seems like Arrows with the exception of Magnum and Gemini just do not age well. I remember Vortex being very smooth in its first few years butnow I fear that I will get whiplash on the ride. It seems like B & M's do hold up well-Raptor now seems just as new and fresh as it was 17 years ago.(Note: Response to Raptorguy's last post.)

He's just still being a crybaby because the ERT moved to Vortex this year. He figures if he whines on this board enough it will change.Lines for Vortex can still spill out into the midway and plenty enjoy riding it. I doubt it will go anywhere any time soon.
Well, I was going to say that exact thing lol but you said it for me! I don't know why someone insists on posting on a KI thread if they vowed to never step foot in said park again. Oh well, I'm sure there will be plenty of people riding Vortex and WindSeeker to make up for his "boycott".

Both of you are missing the point. I even agree with RaptorGuy. Everything he said was valid. Operationally there is no need for a Vortex queue line to be added or changed up. Would it be nice? Yes, but there is no reason that it needs to be added/changed. The ride is almost 25 years old, and his perception about if anyone cares about it was his opinion. Don't accuse him for being a crybaby for stating his opinions. He is also valid in saying that there was a queue under the station that was not used. The remaining 2 sentences are his opinion don't fault someone for their opinion.

I'm sorry you haven't met RaptorGuy to know that he is a genuine guy who actually cares about the park and isn't a "crybaby". You are valid Ashers in saying that the lines can spill out into the midway and plenty enjoy riding it. Your opinion is that you doubt it will go anywhere any time soon. You're allowed to say that, just don't discredit someone because they state their opinion on something.

Anyone is allowed to post on this forum as long as they don't violate the TOS. I'm getting tired of people complaining about other people being a "crybaby" but can just be a "crybaby" themselves. This board is not for personal attacks. Yes, I got frustrated with RaptorGuy when it came to Haunt stuff...but you know what, I'm over it...a person is still a person no matter how much you disagree with what they post.

Back on topic-- I am wondering what day vertical construction will begin...has anyone heard an official word? From the videos KI has posted about the Coney Mall construction, I'm getting excited everything looks great so far!

^I agree with you. It seems like Arrows with the exception of Magnum and Gemini just do not age well. I remember Vortex being very smooth in its first few years butnow I fear that I will get whiplash on the ride. It seems like B & M's do hold up well-Raptor now seems just as new and fresh as it was 17 years ago.

I don't think Flight Deck has aged poorly, at least as far as the ride experience is concerned.

I'm pretty sure I never called RaptorGuy a crybaby. Someone else said that. I was quoting that someone on the part about him saying if he whines enough on this board he thinks things will change. And in my opinion, I did in fact see a lot of WHINING about the ERT being changed from DB/Beast to Vortex/WindSeeker. Was that not true? And I was also just stating my OPINION wondering why someone continues to post on here when they've said they won't even come to KI anymore because of Haunt..or ERT or whatever the reason is. I wasn't personally attacking anyone. No I do not know this person, I have never met them, so why would I insult them personally? I was simply asking a question based on my observation. Also, I never contradicted the fact that The Vortex queue is no longer in use, or the fact that they don't need to change anything about Vortex. I said in my post that I'm not sure why he's saying it's on its last leg just because it's 25 years old, because plenty of people still love that ride and obviously people continue to ride it. RaptorGuy's comment was that NOBODY cares about Vortex anymore and saying it's on its last leg. THAT is the part of his post I was putting my two cents towards. I wish people would quit putting words in my mouth. Oh, and for the record...I hardly ever ride Vortex anymore because it gives me a headache and my head bangs on the OTSR's, but I'm not saying it needs to be torn down or that it's on its last leg just because I PERSONALLY don't like it all that much.

I'm pretty sure I never called RaptorGuy a crybaby. Someone else said that. I was quoting that someone on the part about him saying if he whines enough on this board he thinks things will change. And in my opinion, I did in fact see a lot of WHINING about the ERT being changed from DB/Beast to Vortex/WindSeeker. Was that not true? And I was also just stating my OPINION wondering why someone continues to post on here when they've said they won't even come to KI anymore because of Haunt..or ERT or whatever the reason is. I wasn't personally attacking anyone. No I do not know this person, I have never met them, so why would I insult them personally? I was simply asking a question based on my observation. Also, I never contradicted the fact that The Vortex queue is no longer in use, or the fact that they don't need to change anything about Vortex. I said in my post that I'm not sure why he's saying it's on its last leg just because it's 25 years old, because plenty of people still love that ride and obviously people continue to ride it. RaptorGuy's comment was that NOBODY cares about Vortex anymore and saying it's on its last leg. THAT is the part of his post I was putting my two cents towards. I wish people would quit putting words in my mouth. Oh, and for the record...I hardly ever ride Vortex anymore because it gives me a headache and my head bangs on the OTSR's, but I'm not saying it needs to be torn down or that it's on its last leg just because I PERSONALLY don't like it all that much.

Raptorguy said he was going to tell people bad things about Vortex and WindSeeker if they didn't give him his precious little ERT on Diamondback....... Looks like more toddler level sulking to me!

Just as an FYI, I DID in fact ride The Racer in the 70's. It was the very first coaster I ever did ride when I was 7 years old. I remember it scared the bee gees out of me! When I got that exceptional airtime on the big hump, I thought I was going to actually fall out. But, it didn't discourage my coaster riding career. I came back year after year to ride The Racer. It was my favorite wood coaster for over 25 years, until I rode Shivering Timbers, and then Hades, and then the coaster to end all coasters, The Voyage! The only things I don't like about Racer and Beast from those good old days are the trains. I loved them much better with the buzz bars and no seat dividers or head rests. they were so much better then! But, I have to say as far as the structure, track and general ride itself, they've held up

very well. And also, let me add to my previous discussion that wood coasters can be rebuilt and fixed and retracked over and over. Steel coasters, that is not so easy to accomplish. It also doesn't really

happen often, unless its like I-305 and having to get a total do over in certain spots. One last point here, even though I am not excited about WindSeeker, I am glad Coney is getting a make over.

I will give a thumbs up on getting the new brick style walkways.

^I agree with you. It seems like Arrows with the exception of Magnum and Gemini just do not age well. I remember Vortex being very smooth in its first few years butnow I fear that I will get whiplash on the ride. It seems like B & M's do hold up well-Raptor now seems just as new and fresh as it was 17 years ago.

I don't think Flight Deck has aged poorly, at least as far as the ride experience is concerned.

I agree with you there-my only complaint about Flight Deck is that the ride is too short.

Flight Deck has been getting a little rougher, but it's still smooth. Then again it's only like 18 years old, I believe. If Vortex's que was a problem it would have been changed years ago. But to be back on topic, it seems that vertical construction will be coming in the next week or two. They have all the parts lined up in the parking lot and the foundation is pretty much completed.

I agree with you there-my only complaint about Flight Deck is that the ride is too short.

I agree, especially with the long walk to get to it, but it is another Arrow that has held up relatively well. And now that I think about it, Corkscrew is also ok considering its age.