Windseeker & Coney Mall Construction Continues

And how exactly will it cause all the work on WindSeeker to come to a halt? Its not like they are tearing up the ride pad or anything.

I`m sure there is a very valid reason for the removal of the concrete. They actually cut some of the concrete at some point last week.

And how exactly will it cause all the work on WindSeeker to come to a halt? Its not like they are tearing up the ride pad or anything.

I`m sure there is a very valid reason for the removal of the concrete. They actually cut some of the concrete at some point last week.

Unless I'm missing something, they can't drive the pieces in when there's no concrete there to drive on. Or I have no clue what I'm talking about. Nevermind...

Trucks can drive on dirt, just as long as it is not all muddy from rain. In fact, in some instances, they will install all the heavy equipment BEFORE placing the midway. Why? because heavy equipment can cause damage to concrete, if it is not meant to handle heavy duty traffic.

I'm wIlling to bet they were not driving the pieces on that new concrete anyway - maintenance roads are a better guess. As for why tear up concrete - it is possible that a bad pour occurred. After concrete is poured, it is not uncommon to test it to ensure it meets specifications - many factors can cause it to fail including an error in the mix, a poor install, or lack of proper post pour environment. Bottom line - I'd guess something was wrong, so they are fixing it ;)

It could be as simple as one division not know what the other is doing. The contract for the ride may have included having concrete in the area and it may have been executed out of Sandusky. The Coney Mall paver project may be part of Kings Island Cap X items for 2011. It is very possible that the one did not know what the other was doing until it was too late.

Being a part of a large and fast construction project previously, I know this happens all the time.

Well, I can assure you, that the project at KI, while it may have design intents based out of the corporate design office in Sandusky, was executed locally. I know what I speak about, but can`t divulge why I know these things. Those that know me well, know full well that I really do know what I speak about.

And it is pretty well delineated who is to do what, and when. And they usually test concrete BEFORE pouring it. If the mix is not up to the specs (through various tests like the slump test), they can and will reject the truck of concrete and send it back to the plant. That is not as critical on projects like sidewalks and midways, but it is more critical for structural concrete like foundations and concrete used in high rise construction. Concrete strength is specified in psi.

I was not trying to belittle your comments. Sorry if my previous post came off sounding harsh. Yes, changes/screw ups do happen from time to time. And when they do happen, someone usually ends up paying for the changes (in the form of change orders), or to rectify a situation, in the case of something being done out of order.

Its too hard to say, from an outsiders point of view, which this was. Only time will shed some light on this subject, and even then, we may never know why the concrete was ripped out.

Just remember, for many, many years things like this occurred and virtually no one ever knew. Webcams come with pluses and minuses. At Cedar Point, for example, webcams have occasionally shown minor worker misconduct, such as omitting going to the nearest restroom facility, but finding relief nearby. The day will probably come when a major construction mishap will occur in front of the watchful eyes of many web watchers....

That is a very good question. I wonder why they are tearing up the fresh concrete. Maybe they had some extra pavers? Although, it certainly seems like a lot of work to put down some additional pavers.

Well it looks like they are bringing in sand in that area now to lay down pavers. Wonder if it was additional pavers, a mistake made, or just a change order? It does seem to be a very specific cut out of that laid concrete though.

I wonder what they are doing to Vortex? They had a crane hanging over that way.

I was thinking maybe they were bring the trains back from winter rehab, but have not seen evidence of trains?

Somebody knows, but not I.

Looks like you might be correct, hard to see but it looks to me like a train is now on the transfer area.