Windseeker & Coney Mall Construction Continues

Those spools you see are electrical wire. On any large project, large spools are brought in so the builders don't have to splice the wire to make a run longer, minimizing the chance the wire will short out. I have seen several projects that had 6-10 left over spools that eventually get used throughout the course of the next couple of years.

With WindSeeker added to the skyline, I like how all the aircraft warning lights blink at different intervals over Kings Island at night; adds kind of a sparkle to the sleeping giant (even the 'Imposter', that radio or cell tower to the south of the park that gets in on the act... still, pretty cool).

If you mean this, it's a radio tower:

wlw-1.jpg

Lots more info at http://www.necrat.us/wlw.html if interested.

Oh, no. But I've always loved seeing the lights of the ol' Blaw-Knox Blaster, letting me know that I was just a few miles from my beloved hometown! (My dad moved us to suburban Detroit (yes, there is a SUB-urban Detroit XD) for a few years when I was a kid, and all of the special road trips down to see the relatives included a day at KI!) We'd stay at my uncle's house, which was on E. Circle, which meant this beauty was right past his back yard. The first time I realized how monstrously huge it was, I was like this:

:blink:

Anyway, back before all the sprawl and development, you could see the WLW tower, the VOA towers, and off in the distance, the sparkling little green jewel that was (and is) the Eiffel Tower from I-75. It was like a grand gateway to home.

The "Imposter" I'm referring to is a gray cell tower that is to the direct south-west of the park, and it's about 250' tall with a white flashing beacon on top. It kind of blends in visually with the colorful attractions of BB, and almost looks like a 'Parachute' ride tower (like the ones in classic 'boardwalk' pictures).

I too heard a radio commercial this morning for KI.

Those reels are now gone too. I`m still kind of surprised that they haven`t started to attach the seats yet. Time is quickly running out! The park opens in less than two weeks! And they`ll still have to complete all the testing and get the ride certified by the state before it can open to the public...

Kings Island posted the following messages and photos this afternoon:

Coney Mall will have a fresh new look when the park opens for the 2011 season April 30.

279641856.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1303147574&Signature=zlaw0FCF51NqmkROwPGJkIUFdV4%3D

Construction of the entrance area for Dinosaurs Alive! at Kings Island is underway

279640438.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1303147655&Signature=lHRhicCAEa3TzqY44dntBv%2FP%2FW8%3D

Coney Mall is looking spectacular. Bright new paint scheme, new pavers, hopefully some new lighting, a brand new ride... It's a good year! Now let's just see if the Tower Gardens are reinvigorated... But this is a great leap in a good direction, regardless!!

The images did not load. Where were these images posted? I can`t seem to find them on the park`s blog, twitter, FB page OR WindSeeker page on the KI website.

The arms should begin going up by mid-week, with the seats by the end of the week, per the WindSeeker page update from today on KI`s site.

Part of that is because the park has so many pages available (twitter, FB, the park blog, the WindSeeker webpage), that they often will post something at one, but not all of those places. Then its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I think the above images might have originally been posted to Twitter, and since removed?

Those images definitely haven't been removed from the park's twitter. They are currently the second and third update from the top.

For you, maybe. For me, the top item on their Twitter feed is "Rehersals [sic] for the new American Country show in the Festhaus are underway." posted 14 hours ago. This type of nonsense is part of why I don't have a Twitter account yet.

(Quick link for others that are interested: http://twitter.com/kingsislandpr)

They could get the chairs on by wednesday for all we know, and begin testing by thursday, and build the line as they are running the tests each day, and have the whole ride done and ready to go by opening day. I remember watching a roller coaster show about the building of Kingda Ka and their crews stayed there 24 hours to get the testing done, I am sure the same could be done for WindSeeker.

Sounds pretty straight forward to me. Arms go on Wednesday or Thursday, followed by the seats Friday or Saturday, and the next week is spent testing while the queue and landscaping are completed. It can be done, don't worry guys. I trust these people know what they're doing :)

The testing can get done rather quickly, all things considered. It just really depends on when the ride is complete and ready to cycle. If it's ready early next week, it's definitely plausible for it to open on time. Also, equally plausible to not open on time. Only time shall tell.

Not to mention that the weather can have an impact on how quickly things get done. Also, don`t forget, that they have to have the ride inspected by the state, in order to take on riders. Not to mention, that the ride will likely need to complete a number of required test cycles before ready to take breathing test riders. All of those things take time. And if they have an unforeseen hiccup, then there isn`t much time left over to remedy that situation.

Yes, the contractors may face stiff penalties if they don`t complete the project on time. Most of those penalties could involve monetary reprecussions.