Windseeker & Coney Mall Construction Continues

Thought some of you may be interested to know that, while at the Point the past 2 days, WindSeeker is coming to life. Rotating and traveling half-way up the tower. Curiously, no sign of lights yet, however. That said, it is coming to life.

Yet I have heard they are having electrical issues and doing a re-wiring.

Thought some of you may be interested to know that, while at the Point the past 2 days, WindSeeker is coming to life. Rotating and traveling half-way up the tower. Curiously, no sign of lights yet, however. That said, it is coming to life.

I checked out the webcams the other night toward sun down and they at least have the LED lights on the top of the tower up and running.

Hmmm.

Going with a proven design (actual operating installations) versus a prototype design with no current operational installations? Who thinks Cedar Fair opted for the cheaper of the two versions and is now paying dearly for it? Remember, originally, they said WindSeeker would be ready for opening day at KI. We are almost a month out from that. And with next weekend being the big "unofficial" start of summer, it seems as if there is a chance that WindSeeker will still not be ready by then!

EDIT:

Is it just me, or does it look like the swings in this webcam image are actually rotating? The seats look like the extend out past the end of the support arms, indicating that they are rotating.

116_01_01_Current.jpg

I`m not certain if I`ve seen them rotating before (either in person or on the webcams). Hopefully, this is a sign of good progress and that the ride is getting closer to opening. I know I personally can`t wait to ride it! I really hope its open Memorial Day weekend...

Who thinks Cedar Fair opted for the cheaper of the two versions and is now paying dearly for it?

While plausible, this is not correct. Mondial was chosen for CP because Funtime's design does not allow for high winds at 300 feet (which are ever-present on the coast at CP). Mondial's sturdy arms versus Funtime's lawnchair-strapped-to-a-chain design was selected for CP. In turn, a juvenile Funtime let the cat out of the bag about what was coming to CP publicly before Cedar Fair could announce it (it was leaked through the Sandusky Register), and also claimed (without merit) that they were going to sue (which they never did) Cedar Fair for backing out of a "contract" to build their rides, which also never existed.

Funtime then turned tail and offered their rides to Six Flags, while Cedar Fair got a great package deal from Mondial.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a prototype. The season is still in its infancy, and I would bet my Memorial Day both CP and KI's WindSeekers will be fully functional.

I've been at Kings Island all day until 7pm. It was near the top all day long until about 5pm when it lowered down to the bottom extremely slow. It never did full tests of even moved other than that. But they were putting the structure up for the shade queues.

For Dinosaur's Alive, the sign is going up.

Just an Observation. I was at KI today and Was looking at WindSeeker really closely. I noticed the water Dummies were all in the interior seats of the ride and also that every seat was Tetherd to the one in front/Back of it. Im pretty sure this wont be permanent as the seats are supposed to swing outward in full rotation. Am I right about this?

benred just a theory on why the chairs are teathered. One possibility is to make sure if one of the 1 ton arms (estimated weight) breaks off that it just hangs there instead of killing whoever might be under or near the ride. As the ride is still in testing im sure its just to make sure nothing bad happens but like i said im not sure just a theory.

That arm will not come loose.

Something tells me that they can not say that to an insurance company.

You always prepare for something like that with a backup.

It wont happen it does. That ride in China where the car came off and went flying......

Also, do you think this ride will be the full 3 minutes.

I have watched the CW version testing and it was a 2 min video and I do agree it might be a little more in time but not much.

This will have a very long slow line since it is single threaded. So 3 min ride, 1 minute load, 1 min unload...... not sure aboui that.

In an unrelated but strangely similar note, Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Mach Tower grand opening is now officially postponed while it awaits a part from Italy. No opening date is speculated at this time.

For those keeping score, it seems that Six Flags' StarFlyer is the only tower ride that's made it off the ground in a timely matter... Interesting, indeed!