Windseeker & Coney Mall Construction Continues

Whatever you do, don't question their "Weather" excuses on Facebook. They DO NOT like it :(

They don't like any bad things said at all on KI facebook and if you say to many bad things on there KI blocks you from there "FAN" page, myself and 2 other friends have been blocked already!

:(

*feels soooo sad*

Some time this month they said.... well it's now June!

Looks like "WindSeeker" will become another non-operational ride like "Son of Beast"...

The least they could do is turn on the darn lights at night and let us enjoy looking at it so it's not a total waste of space.

I was checking the web cam page of ki daily for the last two months, but I give up, my prediction is it won't open at all this summer. If we are lucky, it might be working in time for Halloween Haunt!

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WindSeeker

On May 24, 2011, after a 16 day delay, Canada's Wonderland announced on their Facebook page that WindSeeker would open to the public later that day.[/url] After only one hour of operation, the ride was closed due to the discovery of mechanical problems. To this day, WindSeeker still remains closed and one of the thirty-two seats have been removed for an unknown reason.

All 4 Locations of WindSeeker are experiencing the same problems! I think the company that built the ride, built it with defects! If new parts need to be created, it could be another year before it will open!

While we wait for the testing to begin, I've got a question for anyone whose knowledge far surpasses mine regarding this vertical swingy thing:

Claimed WS height: 301 feet. Mr. Sheid says: (copied from KI's site) Kings Island vice-president and general manager Greg Scheid said. "Soaring 300 feet above Kings Island will provide an exciting ride experience for our guests."

Is the top of the tower 301 feet, or are the swing seats 301 feet? If the top of the tower is 301 feet, then the swing seats are well below 300 feet, and if the swing seats are 300 feet, then the tower is well over 301 feet.

Just sayin' is all

While we wait for the testing to begin, I've got a question for anyone whose knowledge far surpasses mine regarding this vertical swingy thing:

Claimed WS height: 301 feet. Mr. Sheid says: (copied from KI's site) Kings Island vice-president and general manager Greg Scheid said. "Soaring 300 feet above Kings Island will provide an exciting ride experience for our guests."

Is the top of the tower 301 feet, or are the swing seats 301 feet? If the top of the tower is 301 feet, then the swing seats are well below 300 feet, and if the swing seats are 300 feet, then the tower is well over 301 feet.

Just sayin' is all

I believe the top of the tower is 301 feet. I actually could've sworn that at one point they were marketing it as 280 feet or something, since that'll be the height of the swing, but I could be wrong. 300 is a substantial psychological barrier for many, though, so if it piques interest and increases attendance then I'm all for it.

I believe the top of the tower is 301 feet. I actually could've sworn that at one point they were marketing it as 280 feet or something, since that'll be the height of the swing, but I could be wrong. 300 is a substantial psychological barrier for many, though, so if it piques interest and increases attendance then I'm all for it.

So if you think the swings are about 280'? Why would Mr Sheids misquote the height of the riders experience by 20'? We've seen how anal people can get over a few feet, especially, as you mentioned, with the 300' barrier. I'm excited about the attention as well, and I'm not trolling. I just got to thinking about it. Is Drop Tower measured from the lightning rod tip of the structure? How far is the Drop Tower seats to the ground? It's got to be at least a 20' difference as well.

So if you think the swings are about 280'? Why would Mr Sheids misquote the height of the riders experience by 20'? We've seen how anal people can get over a few feet, especially, as you mentioned, with the 300' barrier. I'm excited about the attention as well, and I'm not trolling. I just got to thinking about it. Is Drop Tower measured from the lightning rod tip of the structure? How far is the Drop Tower seats to the ground? It's got to be at least a 20' difference as well.

But how are tower rides measured? Would you deny that WindSeeker is 301' feet tall? And wouldn't it seem superfluous to say "On WindSeeker, you will be 285 feet up a 301 foot tower!" People want the bigger number, they'll remember the bigger number, they'll tell their friends the bigger number, so what's the harm in advertising it with that number?

And then there's Drop Zone... How many feet tall is it? And how tall is Kings Dominion's? Both claim to be the tallest gyro drops on the planet, but both have very different height statistics... Unusual indeed! Kings Dominion's drops farther, so isn't it the tallest gyro drop on Earth? But Kings Island's tower reaches higher, so isn't it the tallest gyro drop on Earth?

And then there's Drop Zone... How many feet tall is it? And how tall is Kings Dominion's? Both claim to be the tallest gyro drops on the planet, but both have very different height statistics... Unusual indeed! Kings Dominion's drops farther, so isn't it the tallest gyro drop on Earth? But Kings Island's tower reaches higher, so isn't it the tallest gyro drop on Earth?

I didn't know both claimed to be the tallest. I saw this over at Wikipedia: Kings Island's tower is the tallest in the world. While Kings Dominion's tower isn't taller, the brakes start farther down, therefore providing a longer drop than Kings Island's.

Let's get into a "tallest WS" competition with the other parks, we could compare how far above sea level each city a WS is in and claim the tallest based on that. :o

They don't like any bad things said at all on KI facebook and if you say to many bad things on there KI blocks you from there "FAN" page, myself and 2 other friends have been blocked already!

I can't say as I blame them...you are supossed to be their "friend"...if a friend kept coming over to my house just to insult me I would stop asking them over.

I can't say as I blame them...you are supossed to be their "friend"...if a friend kept coming over to my house just to insult me I would stop asking them over.

Like!

Consider yourself lucky. Many fan pages on that site don't have an area for guests to post comments, and if they do it requires a few clicks to get to it. As has been said in other posts, if you see 10 good things and 5 bad things in a day at the park, it's the 5 bad things that most people will pick out when they see the opportunity to contact the park. Read through the Facebook comments and you'll see a whole lot of negativity, a whole lot of uneducated speculation by people who don't seem old enough to even have a Facebook, and guests answering other guests questions (usually incorrectly). Frankly, I think it's a miracle the park still allows as much discussion as they do. Because policing that mess would be a nightmare. Especially during a season with a delayed ride opening... Brave souls.

I didn't know both claimed to be the tallest. I saw this over at Wikipedia: Kings Island's tower is the tallest in the world. While Kings Dominion's tower isn't taller, the brakes start farther down, therefore providing a longer drop than Kings Island's.

Let's get into a "tallest WS" competition with the other parks, we could compare how far above sea level each city a WS is in and claim the tallest based on that. :o

I don't think that is right because I am sure they prob. are counting the brakes as part of the drop.

Like!

Consider yourself lucky. Many fan pages on that site don't have an area for guests to post comments, and if they do it requires a few clicks to get to it. As has been said in other posts, if you see 10 good things and 5 bad things in a day at the park, it's the 5 bad things that most people will pick out when they see the opportunity to contact the park. Read through the Facebook comments and you'll see a whole lot of negativity, a whole lot of uneducated speculation by people who don't seem old enough to even have a Facebook, and guests answering other guests questions (usually incorrectly). Frankly, I think it's a miracle the park still allows as much discussion as they do. Because policing that mess would be a nightmare. Especially during a season with a delayed ride opening... Brave souls.

Yup. I didn't say anything bad just asked if more than weather was a factor. It was gone in minutes, lol. Yet people ask legitimate questions and get no response.

I always do research before answering any questions but stay away from what I cannot find an answer.

Most people on the FB page are very young or just plain trolls. I have worn out the "report" button. There are some very nasty things said there and plenty of personal attacks.

I don't think that is right because I am sure they prob. are counting the brakes as part of the drop.

Not meaning to get off-topic(just trying to continue my education) but if KI's Drop Tower is taller, how can KD's Drop Tower have a longer drop if it's not the brakes?

From what I could understand, correct me if I'm wrong, but Kings Island's is the tallest Gyro Drop, meaning it spins on the way up. Kings Dominion's is the tallest drop ride, that doesn't spin going up.

From what I could understand, correct me if I'm wrong, but Kings Island's is the tallest Gyro Drop, meaning it spins on the way up. Kings Dominion's is the tallest drop ride, that doesn't spin going up.

Our Drop Zone tower is taller, but theirs drops you higher because the gondola goes farther up than ours.

^ Trying to figure out how our tower can be taller, but their gondola goes higher than ours... :P Someone somewhere must be levitating.

"Gyro drop" is the style of ride, like a HUSS Top Spin or an Intamin Blitz coaster. Intamin has two types of Drop Towers - Intamin Giant Drops (like Wonderland, Carowinds, and Great America's Drop Zones) and Intamin Gyro Drops (like ours, with the ring of riders). Both Kings Island and Kings Dominion have Gyro Drop Towers.

Kings Island's tower is taller, but the brakes start higher up, thus resulting in an altogether shorter drop. The tower is 315 feet, while the drop is 264 (which would mean that the brakes begin 51 feet up the tower).

Kings Dominion's tower is shorter than ours, but the brakes also begin lower down, so there's actually a longer drop area before coming in contact with the brakes. The tower is only 305 feet tall, but drop distance is 272 feet, meaning that the brakes start 33 feet up the tower.

So both are the tallest, just in different ways.

^ Trying to figure out how our tower can be taller, but their gondola goes higher than ours... :P Someone somewhere must be levitating.

"Gyro drop" is the style of ride, like a HUSS Top Spin or an Intamin Blitz coaster. Intamin has two types of Drop Towers - Intamin Giant Drops (like Wonderland, Carowinds, and Great America's Drop Zones) and Intamin Gyro Drops (like ours, with the ring of riders). Both Kings Island and Kings Dominion have Gyro Drop Towers.

Kings Island's tower is taller, but the brakes start higher up, thus resulting in an altogether shorter drop. The tower is 315 feet, while the drop is 264 (which would mean that the brakes begin 51 feet up the tower).

Kings Dominion's tower is shorter than ours, but the brakes also begin lower down, so there's actually a longer drop area before coming in contact with the brakes. The tower is only 305 feet tall, but drop distance is 272 feet, meaning that the brakes start 33 feet up the tower.

Thank you for the education. Once again GYK, your knowledge of KI is very impressive! So I have another question for you,

When will WindSeeker open?:)

Kings Dominion isn't a gyro drop as it doesn't rotate on the way up. Never has never will. They have a seperate name for it even though I can't think of what it is.