Windseeker & Coney Mall Construction Continues

I would like to share some first hand experiences I had as I got on WindSeeker the night it opened. It probably opened at about 7 pm as that's when the call went out around the park and the ride operators relayed it to guests. I was in line for Dragster at the time, so the line was extending past Wicked Twister at by the time I got around to it. I had about a 1.5 hour wait, plus a breakdown, but all they did was run a cycle without riders. Don't know what it was, but it got back up and running none-the-less.

The lights look excellent at night, though they kind of get trippy if you look at them for too long. Its almost mesmerizing when you're that close to the lights. I don't know if the other 3 will have this, but CP does have a speaker with music playing attached to the ride carriage, which actually works rather well. As for the ride itself, its rather enjoyable. Its comparable to Zephyr or a typical swings ride in terms of the forces you feel. With Cedar Point's, its great being seemingly swung over the lake, which is a much improved view in the day. I felt that the thrill comes from the actual altitude as well as being hoisted up there so quickly. Its kind of a weird feeling looking down, plus its nice having nothing but a lapbar, making for a bit of a feeling of a lack of ride car, also kind of neat at 300 ft.

As for re-ride-ability, I probably wouldn't wait for it unless it looked short, kind of like Crypt. Even if the queue switchbacks are full, it does chew through lines pretty well for what it is. Watching it in action kind of helps pass the time. All in all, I'm really glad Cedar Fair went with adding them.

I'm glad to see WindSeekers finally start opening. Can't wait for KI's to finally get there, too!

I've got to wonder, though, what the deal is with the chairs getting as close as they do in the CP video. I kind of assumed from the renderings that they'd be constrained to only swing towards and away from the center of the tower... I thought it'd be more like the swinging motion of Arrow suspendeds crossed with the spinning of Zephyr. Maybe the WindSeekers are a little more like Zephyr than we originally assumed?

So yeah, as others have said, WindSeeker was testing today at what appeared to be full speed for a good portion of the day. The gondola gets up the tower very FAST!! I was amazed. Also, I don't think it looks 300 feets tall when standing under it looking up....obviously it is but still :P haha There was music playing but I didn't ever hear Harry Potter music :( Also, I asked one of the ride ops about it...he said they were still trying to finish up test (DUH!) and were looking to open the ride sometime next week (take it for what it's worth as it may not be the best info)

Edit: I wonder if this will be the ride cycle...if so, I'm disappointed it's only at the top of the tower for about 20 sec but whatever, at least you'll be 300 feet up for a little while :)

So yeah, as others have said, WindSeeker was testing today at what appeared to be full speed for a good portion of the day. The gondola gets up the tower very FAST!! I was amazed. Also, I don't think it looks 300 feets tall when standing under it looking up....obviously it is but still :P haha There was music playing but I didn't ever hear Harry Potter music :( Also, I asked one of the ride ops about it...he said they were still trying to finish up test (DUH!) and were looking to open the ride sometime next week (take it for what it's worth as it may not be the best info)

Edit: I wonder if this will be the ride cycle...if so, I'm disappointed it's only at the top of the tower for about 20 sec but whatever, at least you'll be 300 feet up for a little while :)

I can tell you I have herd the soundtrack for KIs WindSeeker its different from Cedar Points and Canadas Wonderland!! i was at the park last night it was testing full speed the music plays on the Gondola so u can hear it wile riding not on the ground!!

Happy to say I rode Cedar Point's WindSeeker this evening twice (with about a ten minute wait each time).

I know you might think I'm saying this just because it's "my sort of thing," but the music and lights truly do make the ride. It's almost unreal to be honest. As I first rose up the tower, I felt no sensation of movement and instead just saw everything around me lowering down. It was very trippy (and I experienced it the second time, too). As mentioned, the audio is with the gondola and not projected from the ground, so it follows you up to the top where those in line can no longer hear it.

I heard five different songs waiting in line. I do not know if Kings Island's playlist will be the same as Cedar Point's. The only reason I would speculate that they might be different is because one of the song's featured on Cedar Point's was "Flight of the Valkyries" (which currently plays on our Backlot Stunt Coaster), and another was the theme from Star Trek: The Next Generation (which used to play on International Street and was removed in favor of summery-bee-bop jams). There were two songs from Harry Potter that played as well, with Hedwig's song being the one featured in the video circulating the web and the one that I rode to the first time.

I truly would rate the WindSeeker experience very, very highly. I only wish that the cycle lasted a little longer - even an extra rotation or two - but I understand how adding that would seriously decrease hourly or daily capacity. The main problem with Cedar Point's (which it shares with many of that park's rides) is the bug problem. It's located right on the water, which is bad. But even beyond that, it is a giant rainbow light. The bugs literally ascend with the gondola and create a cloud just as the ride begins to rotate. Luckily, you rise above their flight level for the duration of the ride, but descend right back into a cloud of them as the ride ends. I'm not sure how that could be fixed, really. It's an unfortunate side effect of Lake Erie.

I'm writing up an official review with photos and a video for themeparktourist.com, so if that review is posted before Kings Island's opens (which I should hope isn't the case!) I'll be sure to link to it so you can read more.

Wow, after watching that video I can understand why the high wind speeds would force this ride to close down. Thos seats do come really close to each other, and I now see why the backs of the seats say to not extend your legs.

So are the bugs bad only at night or during the day as well?

Maybe they can issue disposable masks for the ride :-)

I really want to ride CP the most as it should have the best view.

Maybe it will be a day only ride to avoid bugs.

In my experience, the bugs were only present at night. But like I said, it's a seasonal issue for Cedar Point. We also rode Maverick in the dark, and had our hands over our faces the entire time (which, of course, makes for a REALLY bad ride on Maverick). Whoever decided to light up the canyon walls at night needs to have their head examined. The view is spectacular during the day, and it's truly a completely different experience at night - the water is absolutely pitch black, so you can't even tell it's a body of water. We also managed to somehow get on the next-to-the-last ride of the night, which took place during the finale of the American Portrait show, so there were fireworks going off. A really nice experience!

P.S. According to a Maverick team member, the effect lights in the tunnel will never be on again, as they "interfered with the sensors" on the LSMs. As someone who is not intimately familiar with the ride or the mechanical workings of it, I can't say whether or not that is a realistic reason. I just know a lot of people here were questioning it earlier, and that is the answer I was given.

P.S. According to a Maverick team member, the effect lights in the tunnel will never be on again, as they "interfered with the sensors" on the LSMs. As someone who is not intimately familiar with the ride or the mechanical workings of it, I can't say whether or not that is a realistic reason. I just know a lot of people here were questioning it earlier, and that is the answer I was given.

As I (vaguely) understand it, there are several sensors along the track that "count" the number of cars that pass alongside them using optical sensors. (On most wooden coasters, these are the green blocks you see in the middle of the track .) Fins beneath the car--I presume they're the brake fins--break the light beam between both sides of the sensor, allowing the ride's computers to tell when a full train has passed. In Maverick's case, the sensors would presumably count to three to make sure that other trains weren't being launched into an occupied block. I'd believe it when they say those lights messed with the sensor--as I remember, there were also some strobes, so I'd bet they caused some miscounting now and again.

But, it also begs the question: can't they just move the lights or something? They were bright, but it seems like something could be done so they don't interfere with the sensor(s), even if it means putting a physical barrier between the lights and the sensor(s). But this is Cedar Fair we're talking about, so just shutting them off is the best solution we'll probably get.

This is all based off guesstimations I've made combined with an experience while waiting in line for Raven last year, so I may be wrong. As the ride op explained, the sensors were miscounting the cars, so the computer only read that there were five cars on the train. The computer would then assume that the sixth car was still waiting in the station and send the ride into a two-train mode, in which it would slow the lift chain considerably and then bring the train to a complete stop on the brake run as it waited for that last, nonexistent car to leave the station. Maintenance had to repeatedly come out and reset the computer system... Turns out even computers have trouble counting to six. It turned a 15 minute wait into a 45 minute one, but it was educational, so I guess that evens it out? :lol:

In my experience, the bugs were only present at night. But like I said, it's a seasonal issue for Cedar Point.

And the good news is that it will get better as the season goes on. Mid June to Mid July is the worst for the midges, but they quickly fade.

In response to those who think Cedar Fair is showing favoritism to CP over KI, I remind you that we should be thankful to CF that we are getting a new ride at all at KI. And I also remind you that there has not been a new coaster at CP since Maverick opened in 2007. Between then and 2011, we have seen Firehawk and DB at KI as well as I-305, Bohemeth, Dominator, and Intimidator at the other parks acquired in 2006. Not to mention the wonderful live shows and makeover at KI, including the new pavement on the midways. Isn't it just awful how CF has treated KI?

Last night WS was doing full tests, it sure is pretty. One of the ride ops was answering questions. Most of those questions of course were, "when does it open?"

One kid said that his friend said "The ride closed because one of the arms fell off". The park is really tired of this rumor.

Kings Island was a flagship park for a very long time, and no one seemed to find favoritism unfair back then... Now it is part of a larger group of parks, and not only is it not the flagship, but it's mere hours from the park that holds that title. Things are different now. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. It seems to me that there's no desperate need to build taller, faster, more well-themed rides at Kings Island anymore, because the competition is either owned by the same group, or is closed.

But hasn't Kings Island still been treated well? Haven't we still been "favored" over pretty much every other park except Cedar Point? And we've also had moments where we've gotten more than they have. Kings Island is different from Cedar Point, and I don't think half of their rides would fit in our park anyway.

Basically, everything is working out for everyone. I don't see a problem being second or third in line (if that's even what we are).

Kings Island was a flagship park for a very long time, and no one seemed to find favoritism unfair back then... Now it is part of a larger group of parks, and not only is it not the flagship, but it's mere hours from the park that holds that title. Things are different now. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. It seems to me that there's no desperate need to build taller, faster, more well-themed rides at Kings Island anymore, because the competition is either owned by the same group, or is closed.

But hasn't Kings Island still been treated well? Haven't we still been "favored" over pretty much every other park except Cedar Point? And we've also had moments where we've gotten more than they have. Kings Island is different from Cedar Point, and I don't think half of their rides would fit in our park anyway.

Basically, everything is working out for everyone. I don't see a problem being second or third in line (if that's even what we are).

Not to mention that the primary reason why Cedar Fair bought Paramount Parks was for Kings Island (one of Cedar Fair *Kinzel's* biggest "I want that!" items for many years). I can almost be assured that had CBS not wanted to sell all of the parks as a whole, Cedar Fair would have only purchased KI.