The Life of a Ride Op: The Great Movie Ride

That was GREAT!!!! Thanks for sharing that Interprerter! That sums up some of the rudimentary questions that ride operators get from time to time. And how people don`t understand what you are telling them.

Case in point. At Coney, we have a miniature golf course. Its not very extravagent. But in addition to the price of admission for it, everyone must pay a $1 ball deposit per ball. (Hole 18 doesn`t siphon the balls into a hidden locked box like on most courses. So you will get your $1 back when you return your ball at the conclusion of your game. Try explaining that to guests! It is not an easy task sometimes!

**EDIT** While I do not like to brag about post counts, this is my 9,000 post here on KICentral.com. That is a lot of posts. I wonder how many minutes (more likely hours or days) I`ve spent composing all of my messages. Most of you know that I sometimes can write very thorough messages!

**EDIT** While I do not like to brag about post counts, this is my 9,000 post here on KICentral.com. That is a lot of posts. I wonder how many minutes (more likely hours or days) I`ve spent composing all of my messages. Most of you know that I sometimes can write very thorough messages!

Congratulations CoastersRZ! But as a wise poster once told me, "Its about quality, not quantity."

And you have effectively conquered both.

Yes I have. Now I wonder who that wise poster was you speak about?

It is silly comments from the GP that has produced some of my fondest memories from working at an amusement park, as well as from visiting KI. Over ten years ago I got stuck on The Beast, outside of the station due to a mechanical malfunction that shut the ride down. Before the ride ops got out to us to explain what was going on, the guy behind us turned to us and said "do you think they will mind if I light up a cigarette?" My cousin and I looked at each other and then back at him to see if he was serious. He had pulled a pack of cigarettes out! We both said, "Um, no, considering we are sitting on tons of wood, that would be a TERRIBLE idea."

And to bring the topic back to Coney, its always funny when you hear little kids say that there are sharks or crocodiles in Lake Como! And to bring back the subject of guests not understanding, only kids 48" or less need to wear lifejackets while on the pedal boats. But yet, we will get some parents who insist on wearing life jackets themselves. We then explain to them, that the lake is only three or four feet deep all the way across. Granted, you can drown in even an inch of water. However, there is no need for life jackets in Lake Como on a pedal boat if you are like 5'-6" tall, because if you fall in (and people do fall in), then you could stand up and walk back in! (Lake Como is a man made lake after all. When we tell people the lake is that shallow, they often look at us in disbelief. Now, I will caution you, if you go to Coney and ride in the canoes that are also in Lake Como, EVERYONE in a canoe, regardless of height has to wear a life jacket. The reason? The canoes can be very top heavy, and they can and WILL flip over. It is a rather common occurrence to see people walking their canoes back to the dock. And the canoes can also be troublesome on windy days, as it is hard to get the canoes back to the dock, when there are inexperienced rowers.

(Now how is that in terms of quantity?)

As an employee of Cedar Point, I've been asked what ocean we were in the middle of...numerous times...had someone try to tell me there were sharks in Lake Erie. And everyone thinks I know where the "Millennium Falcon" is located. Not to mention Magnum Force, they're always stunned when I tell them it's in Japan...