Beast Of A Project

HTCO

Very cool and interesting blog post.

Carpenters have been busy this winter working on The Beast roller coaster at Kings Island. Since mid-December, they've had to fight rain, snow and ice in their effort to re-track an 800-foot section of the ride's course. But don't worry! They'll have The Beast ready to thrill riders when the park opens for the 2011 season on Saturday, April 30!

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/fun/blog/2011/2/14/Beast_of_a_project.cfm

And before anyone asks, no they are not adding a tunnel. That plastic tarp with the wood supports is just there so that the carpenters can safely do their work in the winter months when Mother Nature is not as agreeable. Nice to see them retracking 800 feet of the ride! That appears to be the section of track right before rounding the bend and heading to the second lift hill.

Guest rcfreak339

Very cool. The quote; "Beast of a project" is actually how The Beast received it's name, when workers would come in from the work site they would always say something along the lines of "That is a Beast of a project" or "We need to go back out and work on that Beast" shortly after The Beast was born.

Lots of people probably knew that, something I learned last summer that I thought was very cool.

Guest rcfreak339

^Myself and about 30 or so people were told exactly what I said by Don on a walk back last season.

I'm not saying you were wrong, just saying what I was told.

On wooden coasters, the track is made up of layers of wood, typically eight layers of wood. Over many seasons of the wear and tear of the heavy coaster trains running over them, sections of track, particularly in high speed, or high force areas, can wear out. I don`t know the exact science behind it, but would imagine part of it has to do with the nails and connections wearing bigger holes in the wood over time. Another possibility could be that the wood itself has become fatigued (ie has started to compress slightly from all the forces exerted on it).

When people refer to retracking a wooden coaster, it usually means that the park`s maintenance team removes several layers, or all the layers of wood tracking in a section of ride. As you can see in that video, they are working on placing some new wood in that stretch of ride, which is a high speed section of the ride. Because of the amount of work involved, retracking a wooden coaster is typically a winter/off season project. Generally, retracked sections of wooden coasters run smoother in that section of track than they did the year before under the old track. And is this maintenance that generally results in wooden coasters having higher upkeep costs compared to their steel counterparts. In essence, wooden coasters are never finished being built, as wood is continually being replaced throughout the years. The blog post mentioned that 800 feet of Beast track was being retracked this off season. To put that into perspective, the 800 feet of track is roughly 10 percent of the total track length on The Beast. That seems like a high amount! Hopefully, The Beast will be roaring in excellent shape on April 30th!

I`m not sure if all of it is, but the section that was shown in that video appears to be from the area you described.

Not saying this is the area, but if they did do 800 feet... here is the area that basically covers all of those turns. (The real high speed area of The Beast.)

Michael+2011-02-17+at+4.15.35+PM.PNG