Time for Timberwolf to exit stage left?

Oldschool75

Without TW There would be no place to host the Sean Hannity show.......

'cause Six Flags has the Looney Tunes Trademark!!!

I do agree, it's a waste of space, but it would be great if they would add a cool Cirque Du Soleil type show like at Busch Gardens Europe

It's not a bad venue for concerts by bands that aren't exactly 'headliners' (Collective Soul comes to mind). I've learned over the years that if an act isn't full-out 'mainstream', you can hold a concert in venues of virtually any reasonable size depending on the level of promotion given to the show. I'd love to see a smooth jazz show there someday, though.

I think Timberwolf is a good thing. If you think about it when there are music in the park days, TW is used for awards. Like many people have said there are multiple uses for TW.

While I agree that if TW wasn't at the park, there would be room for more attractions, I just don't see it as a good option to remove it.

The only reason I can see the park removing Timberwolf is because of its age. I did some work with a rigging company that sets up stages for different concert and show events and while I was working at a Cirque show in Columbus the topic of Kings Island came up. I asked if they ever did any work there and they said, "Yes, but it was a nightmare." Asking why, he explained to me that because of the age of the structure they can't climb in the rafters of the stage to do all their rigging. Therefore they had to bring in lifts to do all their rigging. I foresee it leaving us in the next few years if it is not renovated.

Actually if I remember correctly, they moved Collective Soul to the bandstand due to poor ticket sales. The main reason I think Timberwolf isn't exactly on par with other facilities is the lack of restrooms.

Actually the last time Collective Soul played at Kings Island was back on May 24, 2009 and they played at the TimberWolf. It was a free concert for Kings Island ASA weekend and a heavy metal band called Pop Evil played first

0_0_25449ba5451b2732673ae54614a616a2_1.jpg

Here is a clip of Collective Soul playing at the Timberwolf on that day

<object width='640' height='360'> <param name='movie' value='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' /> <param name='flashvars' value='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=eea7fc8a6e5d75383ea87334b09e891f%26u=1009485%26a=3356079%26i=69876870%26w=640%26h=360' /> <param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /> <param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /> <embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='640' height='360' allowfullscreen='true' bgcolor='#000000' src='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' flashvars='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=eea7fc8a6e5d75383ea87334b09e891f%26u=1009485%26a=3356079%26i=69876870%26w=640%26h=360'></embed> </object>

From a business stand point. Probably not going to happen. Considering they make money from the concerts. (tickets, concessions, that bands merchandise). But I would love for that to happen. If you got rid of Timberwolf and Congo Falls, that is a ton of room!(add SOB to that equation and you got a whole new zone ;) )

Actually if I remember correctly, they moved Collective Soul to the bandstand due to poor ticket sales. The main reason I think Timberwolf isn't exactly on par with other facilities is the lack of restrooms.

That wasn't Collective Soul that moved to the Showplace Stage; it was that Jordan chick and I remember they were having a field day trying to stop passersby from watching the show from outside Showplace because they didn't pay for the concert itself.

Also, it's not the actual stage itself that's used for a Haunt, but the path leading to it that goes directly behind Congo Falls (dubbed Shantytown due to the placement of souvenir huts and "shanties" littered on said path).

I've always wanted to see Kings Island pull a CityWalk/Downtown Disney by having the former parking lot become a massive shopping/dining district, with a brand-new amphitheater to replace Timberwolf placed outside the park, and, in place of the parking lot, a new parking garage over near Boomerang Bay.

But, 'tis but a dream.

I've always wanted to see Kings Island pull a CityWalk/Downtown Disney by having the former parking lot become a massive shopping/dining district, with a brand-new amphitheater to replace Timberwolf placed outside the park, and, in place of the parking lot, a new parking garage over near Boomerang Bay.

But, 'tis but a dream.

I'd love to see that! And, somehow put in some small, artificial waterways to resemble the San Antonio Riverwalk, or the 'River' in the Gaylord Opryland Resort, with little bridges, gondola rides, fountains, etc. It'd be awesome if this was somehow worked in a way that it connected KI with GWL. It would give the park that 'resort' feel it seems to be missing.

I don't think it has anything to do with people getting bigger (although this is coming from a guy who has eaten at a diner for the past three days and just had a bunch of chocolate for dinner), I remember going there in the late 90's as a kid and remarking that the seats were awfully small and crowded.

One year for my sister's birthday, my parents got her Aaron Carter tickets. Since it was billed as some sort of Nickelodeon show, they thought it be a blast to take the whole family. Now, if you remember, Aaron Carter is the younger less talented brother of that one Backstreet Boy who has very little talent himself. So suffice it to say, the show wasn't very good. Even for little 11 year old me whose musical tastes were quite limited. The worst thing I remember about the show was that neither I or the other kids could see. The slope of the seats is terrible and if there's an adult in front of you, forget about it.

Timberwolf really lost it's use as a concert venue for mainstream artists when Riverbend opened.

I'm sure every ACEr and their brother would love to tear it down and put in six dueling B&M coasters that have no trims and interlock with a revamped and remodeled version of Son of Beast. However, the thing probably doesn't cost the park much to run and what it does cost I'm sure it is made up for 10x over when the place is packed with flag waving suburbanities hailing for hannity and Skynyrd.

If it's not broke, why fix it?

Well, I wouldn't know-everyone blocks my view at any concert because of my height. The seats do need replacing in the worst way-they are starting to break. I prefer to sit in the lawn area when such an area is available. The lack of restrooms is another issue, but that would be cost prohibitive to correct at this point. My favorite outdoor venue was Shoreline in California-plenty of sloping and restrooms that could acomodate a sold out show. Only problem there was the gases from the landfill it was built on which would spark flames occasionally from people lighting cigarettes. Lol. I think that problem has been resolved for many years though.

There is a marked contrast between KI`s Timberwolf, and what looks like a very nice venue down at Carowinds with their Paladium. I believe the Paladium has covered seating, while KI`s Timberwolf does not.

Needless to say, Riverbend Music Center, with its two stages, has the contemporary market pretty well booked for outdoor concert venues. (Remember, that the Jimmy Buffett craze and parrothead nation originated at a concert at Timberwolf. Now Buffett`s shows always sell out within a matter of minutes at Riverbend.

• 2 months later...

Timberwolf is a great venue & there's no bad seat in the place. Spirit Song has some of the top names in Christian music, so just because they aren't "mainstream" doesn't mean there's not a following..they usually sell out or come pretty darn close to it each year. Plus you can't beat the price! If other bands would stop being so flashy with their lighting & theatricals they would do good at Timberwolf. I think sometimes they just suck so bad that they have to throw all that extra stuff in for entertainment! What happened to just setting up some instruments, sound equipment & just jammin'?

Yes, it would be a nice addition to Action Zone to have it removed and expand the area, but, like said many times before, it brings in a lot of visitors and green.

Maybe, someday, they could remove it (like they have to a LOT of attractions), but in the distant future.