2011 Gold Pass ERT includes WindSeeker and Vortex

jcgoble3

But, but, but...again to be fair...what happened to Flight of Fear after Firehawk opened? Look for Vortex to have much, much longer lines this year....people ride what is close...and Vortex will be close when the WindSeeker line is what they consider to be too long....

So is your point of view that after the ERT is over we'll all go ride Spongebob? I don't think so.

The Beast is not exactly a few steps from DB but still worth the walk. Not so much with Vortex.

However you try to frame this Terp, it's a bad decision on KI's part.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to frame anything (as I typically do not...). I am laying out facts and interpretations on all sides of the issue. As those who know me well (or have read many of my posts here), I am hardly a "Kings Island (or Cedar Fair) always right" kind of guy. I am, however, a strong supporter of the park industry.

ERT is used for marketing purposes...anybody who couldn't see WindSeeker ERT coming this year probably hasn't been watching KI marketing under Cedar Fair. Will this mean The Beast ERT of many, many years will go by the wayside? Probably. And that's a shame. I believe you will find it was I who posted that somewhere Ruth Voss is crying.

Agreed. My anger stems from purchasing my gold passes for this year in October 2010, and on November 10 2010 the official KI blog prints (as linked to earlier):

"For just $5 more per pass you’ll be upgraded to Gold Pass status and enjoy a long list of VIP perks including FREE SEASON-LONG PARKING (a $39.99 value per pass!); early rides every public operating day on two of the best roller coasters in the world, The Beast and Diamondback; early entry every public operating day into Boomerang Bay, our splashtacular 15-acre waterpark; free admission to two amazing Halloween events, Halloween Haunt and HOWL-O-FEST; special discounts on select food items, merchandise and more! "

Now they're saying they are only opening an untested flat and a coaster built in 1987.

That's different than "marketing purposes", it's false advertising.

If they decide to go through with this, they should be called out on it

But as always, things are subject to change. I would miss the early ride times (or at least the walk back) to The Beast. But I would really miss the Diamondback ERT times. I would often get to the park at opening to grab a couple of Diamondback rides, and then a quick couple of Beast rides before the park opened. I guess I`ll have to change my plans this year it looks like.

It will be interesting to see the length of lines that WindSeeker will draw. It should get fairly decent capacity for a flat ride since it seats 64 people per ride cycle, which is getting up there. (Drop Tower seats 40, Delirium 50), I just do not know if it will have the draw of some of the coasters. Then again, Drop Tower has had pretty long lines, but part of that is the lower capacity. I wonder if they will load the ride like Delirium (ie, separate the queue into the next 64 riders when the ride is cycling, to try and increase the throughput. I think they would be wise to try and do this, regardless of the lines they expect to draw.

If they didn't have ERT on WindSeeker, there would be many complaints. Logistics are therefore likely the cause of The Vortex choice v DB or Beast. Having two areas of the park open for ERT would be problematic.

For me, this is an expected but unfortunate change. Many of my park trips began with DB ERT. This will likely cause less trips for me this season.

If they didn't have ERT on WindSeeker, there would be many complaints. Logistics are therefore likely the cause of The Vortex choice v DB or Beast. Having two areas of the park open for ERT would be problematic.

For me, this is an expected but unfortunate change. Many of my park trips began with DB ERT. This will likely cause less trips for me this season.

Yep, DB ERT was the reason I made so many trips from Indy the last 2 seasons. If there is no DB ERT, I will not be motivated to take the 2hr trip over. I do appreciate the park giving ERT, but they are going to loose lots of money by not having DB ERT. I am sure there will be hundreds if not thousands of other pass holders that feel the same way.

I think keeping DB and Beast ERT and adding WS first ride of the day would be nice. This would not cost any more money for the park. Here is how to do it. You have the same ERT as before and there is a WS line by the securuty chain by Beast. Then 5 min before opening you let the people wanting to ride WS through the check point to head to to the WS queue. The ride still does not start till normal start, but pass holders have the option to be first to the ride.

Per Cedar Points site: http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/admission/season_passes/point_perks.cfm

• Millennium Force (must be 48" tall to ride)
  • Raptor (must be 54" tall to ride)
  • Maverick (must be 52" tall to ride)
  • Iron Dragon (must be 46" tall to ride)
  • Planet Snoopy (seven rides - height requirements vary)

These are the early rides available at CP for ONE HOUR (as they put it) everyday.

Notice that 4 of their premier coasters are offered. and 11 total rides are available as ERT for pass holders.

Versus 1 flat and one neck shaker from 1987? Vortex is fun occassionaly but definately NOT a KI premier coaster! and not one that will bring tourists in from out of town.

I wonder if KI will offer refunds to all of us that bought Gold Passes last year under false pretenses?

That is a nice idea. Kind of like the d Beast ACE walkbacks. But aren't there often other ERT sessions as well? It will be interesting to see what the complete list of perks is. I just wish that ride warrior weekend was coming back. That was a blast and I only did the first day.

I'm sure if you head back to The Beast as soon as the park opens it will have a minimal wait time, probably a walk on. Not many people will go back there first, if anything they would go to Diamondback or WindSeeker first since it's the 'new' thing.

Per Cedar Points site: http://www.cedarpoin...point_perks.cfm

These are the early rides available at CP for ONE HOUR (as they put it) everyday.

Notice that 4 of their premier coasters are offered. and 11 total rides are available as ERT for pass holders.

Versus 1 flat and one neck shaker from 1987? Vortex is fun occassionaly but definately NOT a KI premier coaster! and not one that will bring tourists in from out of town.

I wonder if KI will offer refunds to all of us that bought Gold Passes last year under false pretenses?

You label Iron Dragon one of Cedar Points Premier Coasters, but Vortex is not one of Kings Island's? :?

Per Cedar Points site: http://www.cedarpoin...point_perks.cfm

Most tourists from out of town wouldn't have gold passes anyway.....

...I do appreciate the park giving ERT, but they are going to loose lots of money by not having DB ERT. I am sure there will be hundreds if not thousands of other pass holders that feel the same way.

Sorry but KI isn't going to lose "lots" of money by not having Beast and DB for morning ERT. Nor will there be hundreds or thousands who feel the same way. Better yet, there won't be hundreds or thousands who really give a darn which major ride is available for ERT.

At Cedar Point, Cedar Point regular season passholders do not get to participate in ERT. ONLY Platinum Pass holders (and resort guests) do. There are no Cedar Point gold passes.

I know, I was quoting his sentance in context of Kings Island, where he said they shouldn't have Vortex ERT because it doesn't bring people in from out of town. Well, tourists from out of town wouldn't be likely to have Gold Passes to Kings Island anyway, so why would it matter to them what the ERT is on.

Kings Island doesn't have to offer ERT at all. Just like what happened to Ride Warriors Weekend...Kings Island didn't have to offer it. They offered it once, some KIC people complained and complained about how they didn't like "this" or "that" about it, and now there is no RWW, and now half of the same people complain that there isn't one anymore.

When did I ever complain about Ride Warrior Weekend? I don`t think I ever did. And I don`t recall any KIC members complaining after the one and only RWW either. I had an incredibly fun time, and thats all I heard from other people. Sure, there may have been minor hiccups, but it was the first time that KI was hosting the even, so there are bound to be some hiccups.

...I do appreciate the park giving ERT, but they are going to loose lots of money by not having DB ERT. I am sure there will be hundreds if not thousands of other pass holders that feel the same way.

Sorry but KI isn't going to lose "lots" of money by not having Beast and DB for morning ERT. Nor will there be hundreds or thousands who feel the same way. Better yet, there won't be hundreds or thousands who really give a darn which major ride is available for ERT.

I beg to differ, I do belive they will loose money by not having DB and Beast ERT. It may not be much, but for those lets say hundreds instead of thousands that came specifically for those rides during ERT might stop for a Coke, coffee, ice cream, or preztel before leaving. That is income for the park. Got to remember there are a lot of locals with passes. Either way you calculate it, there is going to be upset people about the change, not just by us enthusiasts.

I am kind of bummed to see that there is going to be no ERT for Diamondback and Beast, well as far as we know now. I am looking forward to having a new set of rides to get in some laps on before the park opens. Also, what I like about this is how it is so close to Firehawk, now I might be able to beat the crowds to Firehawk and FoF and get a couple of rides in.

^KI never said that there wasn't going to be ERT on DB or Beast-I mistakingly thought by reading your post only that was the case-however, I went back to the beginning of this thread and see that KI simply announced there would be ERT for both Vortex and WindSeeker. It appears they are simply adding additional rides for ERT.

Oh, really? You might try reading ALL the thread, not just the first post and a few at the end.

I'll help...start here:

http://www.KICentral...ndpost&p=416307

So, if they are just ADDING rides to ERT, why did they take Diamondback and Beast out of the FAQ question and replace them with WindSeeker and Vortex? A bit odd, don't you think?