Coney lowers height requirement on Twister

CoastersRZ

I`m not certain why the sudden change. I do know that back in 2009, Coney lowered the height requirements on two other rides: River Runner and Scream Machine. Scream Machine used to be 48" to ride, but then it was changed to 36" to ride with an adult, 48" without an adult, after new, bigger over the shoulder restraints were added.

Back in 2009, while looking up Coney Island for a quick family trip, I was amazed at how bad the height restrictions were, honestly. You were either tall enough to ride the big rides, or short enough to ride the small ones (like the kiddie ones). My little sister couldn't ride much because of these problems with the restrictions.

Actually, Coney is quite good with height requirements compared to KI. There are currently only 4 rides that require you to be 48 to ride (Tempest, Bumper Boats, Round Up and Rock O Planes.) The Tempest requires those between 48 and 52" to ride with an adult. River Runner allows kids between the heights of 40-48" to ride with an adult. The Ferris Wheel and Scream Machine allow kids 36-48" tall to ride with an adult. The Python coaster and Dodgems allow kids 36"-52" to ride with adults. And Flying Bobs, Giant Slide, Trabant, Tilt a Whirl, Pedal boats, Scrambler and Carousel all allow kids under 48" to ride with an adult. Yes, most of the kiddy rides at Coney are restricted to 48" and less (KI restricts them to 54" or less in general). But Coney has a lot of rides with lower height requirements than KI. Compare Coney`s Dodgems to KI`s. You can`t ride the slow mobiles at KI if you are under 48, while you can ride the faster Dodgems at Coney when accompanied by an adult.

So I don`t exactly get where you are coming from with these "bad with height restrictions" view point in regards to Coney. Yes, there were complaints over at Sunlite Pool that with the removal of the Zoom Flume, there were no water slides for the younger set to take on (The Cyclone and Pipeline Plunge both have 48" height requirements). But that should be remedied this year with the change in height requirements to the Twister.

Several years ago, jdawg1998 was very, very young indeed. Perhaps it was a bad day that day for any of dozens of reasons, virtually none of which had anything to do with Coney itself...Maybe, for instance, and I am just postulating, his sister didn't want to ride any of the kiddie rides, and to keep peace in the family, a parent told the brother, jdawg1998, that she was too short to ride....If your parents did this to you (and I can see it), you'd remember what they wanted you to remember...that your sister couldn't ride, not that she wouldn't...

Parents often don't realize they are raising one of us...fascinated with things like ride restrictions, operations, prices, where things in the gift shops came from (largely Japan, back then), executive dealings...oh, wait...that's a Terpy (poor Mom and Dad...). Did I mention the little guy (Terp, not jdawg1998) chattered incessantly, asking literally hundreds of questions, questions that 'normal' kids didn't ask...or at least no 'normal' kids my parents knew?

Terp, once a little guy, and trying to help....

• 2 weeks later...

From Coney Island`s Facebook page (found here: http://www.facebook.com/coneyislandpark) they are lowering the height requirement on the Twister water slide from 48" to 36". The Twister replaced the Zoom Flume in 2009. The Zoom Flume had a height requirement of 36"

This is great news! GatorGirl will be thrilled... That is, if we ever get to Coney as a family this year (besides during Fall-O-Ween), since my company's picnic is now at KI instead of Coney! :angry:

Huh? Too SHORT to ride any of the kiddy rides? The kiddy rides at Coney do not have a minimum height requirement. As long as the kids are able to site up on their own, they can ride.

Actually there is a maximum height requirement on many rides like the airplanes.

That confuses many people!

pilotank

I was not talking about maximum height requirements on the kiddy rides. He was referring to kids being too short for the rides. In fact, once the kids outgrow most of the kiddy rides, they are then tall enough to ride the rest of the rides. I am well aware that most of the kiddy rides have MAXIMUM height requirements.