Kings Dominion ?

jlopez

Does Paramount KIngs Dominion Have an Eiffel Tower like Kings Island.....because when I was watching a video of Grizzley..I thought I saw an Effiel Tower in the distance.

I also think grizzley is suppose to sorta be like Beast..because its in the woods..and its a big wooden rollercoasrer...just a thought because they are both owned by the same people. But we all know The Beast is The Best !!! and nothin amounts up to it. biggrin.gif ....They showed this on a video called Americas Greatest rollercoasters in 3D 2. It also has Outerlimits Flight of Fear on it....(kings Dominion) and it shows what it looks like with the lights on.

PKI was first. Then PKD. Then they bought the other parks. PKD was modeled after PKI, so they had an almost identical layout. Complete with international street, fountain, tower, Racer, Beastie (different name), Flight of Fear, Paramount Theatre... list goes on and on.

PKI was built before KD. They are owned by the same people and have similar rides and attractions. They both have FOF's which are identical BUT ours is better blink.gif because we don't stop you in the mid course any more. Most of the other rides are different. PKD was a Taft project.

Yeah, PKD is a great park. Technically, we have the first LIM Lauched coaster because FoF opened just a couple weeks before theirs. They have several launched rides though, all excellent. I really wanna make a trip down there. They also have Shockwave, a clone of King Cobra.

The Grizzly is not a clone in anways of The Beast. in fact, the Grizzly is a clone/loose copy of the Wildcat that used to grace Coney Island, before they dismanteled the ride to make room for the skyride in the late `60`s that wasw later moved to PKI. The Grizzly at PGA is also a clone of the same ride, but it has been tamed to be more family friendly. PKI was built in 1972. Because of its success, the owners, Taft Corporation, decided to build another park, in Virginia. Kings Dominion opened in 1975. Their racing coaster, Rebel Yell, is not exactly identical to The Racer, because it does not split apart for the turnaround. Also, Rebel Yell has a tunnel over the final bunny hop. Overall though, the two parks have a lot in common.

I visited PKD in 2000. Yes, their International Street is much shorter than PKI`s, and unlike PKI`s, PKD`s International Street has no midways off of it untill one reaches the Eiffel Tower. Although they do have Frenzoid (I believe that is the name of it) on the left middle side of IS, which is an inverting viking ship.

As far as same areas, no, they don`t have the same areas. PKD has the Congo, which is home to Volcano and Avalanche. Also, PKD does not have a Rivertown or an Octoberfest area of the park. Their Coney Mall section of the park is similar to PKI`s but has a different name that escapes me now. You can probably find out the names of all their themed areas at their website.

Kings Dominion has some areas that are similar to Kings Island's:

Their International Street is simiar to ours, same Eiffel Tower, but with slightly different fountains and building designs. And no restaurant over the front gate.

Candy Apple Grove is like Coney Mall with the rides around the midway, and the landscaping in the middle.

Old Virginia has similar rides and theming as Rivertown (wood coaster, White Water Canyon and Log Flume). Old Virgina has the park's Paramount Theater (former Mason Dixon Music Hall) similar in design to our former American Heritage Music Hall.

Both parks used to have jungle-themed areas headlined by the Safari Monorail systems. Both monorails were taken out by '94; while KI's area (Wild Animal Habitat/Adventure Village) was rethemed to Paramount Action Zone, KD's is called "Congo" and retains the jungle theme, although Flight of Fear is located there.

Also, both parks had Hanna-Barbera lands with junior woodies, KD's was renamed Kidzville in the late 90s, and both parks now have Nick Central, although different rides.

A good source of info is the 1977 film Rollercoaster! which was shot at the defunct Ocean View park, PKD, and SFMM.

I hope to give y'all a trip report sometime this spring as I hope to get there, SFA, and BGW in April.

EDIT: "Someone stole my thunder"

The Grizzly is not a clone in anways of The Beast. in fact, the Grizzly is a clone/loose copy of the Wildcat that used to grace Coney Island, before they dismanteled the ride to make room for the skyride in the late `60`s that wasw later moved to PKI. The Grizzly at PGA is also a clone of the same ride, but it has been tamed to be more family friendly. PKI was built in 1972. Because of its success, the owners, Taft Corporation, decided to build another park, in Virginia. Kings Dominion opened in 1975. Their racing coaster, Rebel Yell, is not exactly identical to The Racer, because it does not split apart for the turnaround. Also, Rebel Yell has a tunnel over the final bunny hop. Overall though, the two parks have a lot in common.

Yes the Grizzly is a clone/loose copy of the Wildcat from Coney Island in Cincinnati Ohio. I am not sure if any thing from the Wildcat from Coney is still around today. I have a tape from PBS showing them buring the WildCat to the ground making room for the Ski Ride that was later used at Kings Island. Some one tould me that The Beast started out as the WildCat at one time but as they started to rebuild it things strated to change. I wish i still had that post in my yahoo group but yahoo deleted it when it became a group.