Personal Belongings On Roller Coasters at KI

KILateNighter

OK, so I checked several stores today with no luck. Target and TJ Maxx both had nothing with zippers. I checked Kohls also; I couldn't find the shorts linked above on the rack, and they didn't have hardly any shorts in any style available in my size (30) anyway. As I said yesterday, I struck out at Walmart and Kmart as well. Any other ideas within a reasonable distance of Xenia, or will I just have to go with the waist pack again?

As said before, pack as lightly as possible and wear cargo pants/shorts with deep pockets. Carabiners are an excellent idea for small items such as kees and cell phones. I've never lost any items on a ride by using this kind of system. It's super effective!

Jeans work great as long as they are not too tight where you can barely fit your phone/wallet in because it may fall out. All I wear are cargo shorts in the summer. I have noticed less and less ones with zippers. But buttons are not too bad. Now I have a fairly big sized phone so I cant speak for everyone, but putting it in the pocket with buttons sideways, rather than vertical works pretty well. I also put my wallet in the same pocket with it because more items in the pocket=less room for it to move.

As said before, pack as lightly as possible and wear cargo pants/shorts with deep pockets. Carabiners are an excellent idea for small items such as kees and cell phones. I've never lost any items on a ride by using this kind of system. It's super effective!

If you have a cell phone in its case on a carabiner, you need to make sure that the cell phone case stays shut during the ride.

• 1 month later...

OK, I bought a pair of Op cargo shorts at Walmart today. Here's a photo of the pockets:

5632925490_5fdba1fcfc_b.jpg

To give you an idea of scale, the velcro squares are about an inch wide. Do you guys think that's enough to hold objects in, or do I need to add more velcro? I would typically be carrying just cash, change, my ID, my pass, my small cell phone, my keys, and a couple of small Ziploc bags.

When all else fails, just wear a fanny pack!

stereotypes.jpg

Never thought I'd be defending RaptorGuy for any reason. Dressing for safety and keeping your belongings out of the nets is just plain smart, however you do it. Also, sharing tips and tricks are very helpful to everyone. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned on this site.

Thrill junkies go to KI for excitement, not to impress you with their fashion (or lack of fashion) sense.

I don't really like having to wear a fanny pack, but as of last summer, I started carrying and expensive camera, and this year, I have upgraded to an IPhone. There's no way

I'm going to take a chance on my Iphone ending up in the Cell Phone box in the DB que area. My main reason for going to a fanny pack involved the fact that I refuse

to pay $2 for lockers by Firehawk to store my stuff. I can wear a fanny pack on that and the other coasters, and I'm not worried that I will lose anything. And like Snowman

says, I am not there to be a fashion model. I wear coaster Tshirts, and shorts and stuff. I don't look preppy or anything else when I am at a park. I want be comfortable

and feel safe for my stuff, and the fanny pack does that for me!

Never thought I'd be defending RaptorGuy for any reason. Dressing for safety and keeping your belongings out of the nets is just plain smart, however you do it. Also, sharing tips and tricks are very helpful to everyone. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned on this site.

Thrill junkies go to KI for excitement, not to impress you with their fashion (or lack of fashion) sense.

Now, hang on there holmes. I wasn't criticizing or saying RaptorGuy had a lack of fashion sense. Through his previous posts on here he has acted like the stereotypical "ACER," and the fanny pack comment was just one of those. I was just making a joke.

All this conversation is interesting, but can I get an answer to my question?

OK, I bought a pair of Op cargo shorts at Walmart today. Here's a photo of the pockets:

To give you an idea of scale, the velcro squares are about an inch wide. Do you guys think that's enough to hold objects in, or do I need to add more velcro? I would typically be carrying just cash, change, my ID, my pass, my small cell phone, my keys, and a couple of small Ziploc bags.

All this conversation is interesting, but can I get an answer to my question?

No just no to those shorts.

how much do you wanna spend? i can find you the perfect shorts for roller coaster riding.

Also what all are you wanting to fit in the pocket?

I'm guessing wallet/phone possibly camera?

how much do you wanna spend? i can find you the perfect shorts for roller coaster riding.

I paid $16 for those shorts, and that's about all I can afford; I'm on a really tight budget. As for what's going to be in the pockets, I listed that at the bottom of the post. :)

^ Those should work fine, I might go get a pair of those myself. Spread your stuff out in different pockets though for more security.

OK, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

^ Those should work fine, I might go get a pair of those myself. Spread your stuff out in different pockets though for more security.

Most of the time when riders come up to me and tell me they have lost their personal belongings, I usually ask what pocket it fell out of and 7 out of 10 guest are always velcro pockets.

I paid $16 for those shorts, and that's about all I can afford; I'm on a really tight budget. As for what's going to be in the pockets, I listed that at the bottom of the post. :)

Combine ur pass/money/etc put it in a wallet.

I suggest using a debit/credit card when going to KI(maybe keep a loose 20 on you for games etc)

for your keys, get a rock climbing carabiner and put it on your belt loop. and put the keys on a key ring and put it on the carabiner.

493-large_Petzl_Attache_Locking_Carabiner_PTZ0204_2.jpg

now for cell phone & wallet, get a tight pocket with buttons. I rarely see things fall out of shorts with 2 buttons holding the flap over the pocket.

Either get one of those draw string bags and hope that no one takes anything. (I have never gotten anything stolen but have seen a lot of people come up into Guest Services asking if a bag was turned in because it wasn't there when they got back to the station). My favorite thing are my shorts that have a pair of zipper pockets. I feel completely safe putting everything in there and don't have to worry about it during my ride.

I was in Kohl's today in West Chester and found a pair of Sonoma cargo pants with a Zipper on the right side pocket. $21.99 today, who knows tomorrow, regularly $40. Got a pair, and I suggest go quickly because I haven't seen zippered cargo pockets anywhere else. Good Luck

I don't really like having to wear a fanny pack, but as of last summer, I started carrying and expensive camera, and this year, I have upgraded to an IPhone. There's no way

I'm going to take a chance on my Iphone ending up in the Cell Phone box in the DB que area. My main reason for going to a fanny pack involved the fact that I refuse

to pay $2 for lockers by Firehawk to store my stuff. I can wear a fanny pack on that and the other coasters, and I'm not worried that I will lose anything. And like Snowman

says, I am not there to be a fashion model. I wear coaster Tshirts, and shorts and stuff. I don't look preppy or anything else when I am at a park. I want be comfortable

and feel safe for my stuff, and the fanny pack does that for me!

If I have my camera stuff with me, I try to avoid the coasters. (I don't need to ride coasters to have fun)

Those who have seen my Olympus and its lenses know better than to drag me onto Dback or Beast cause I get pretty mean knowing I gotta leave the stuff in the station. :P

On the rare occasions I go without my camera stuff, I wear cargo pants of course to keep my cellphone with me, then I'm more than happy to ride the rolley coasters.

Well, I'll throw my two cents in here. I'm one of those people who's paranoid about losing stuff on rides. If I'm with someone else, I'm usually paranoid that they'll loose something which is why I'll offer to put it in my zipper pockts. I'll say that again. Zipper pockets. I do not feel good about velcro pockets. Not at all. Zipper pockets can only fail if you forget to zip them. That's it. Most velcro shorts leave to big of a hole and stuff can fly out. I wear glasses/sunglasses and I'm paranoid about losing them on the coasters. So I always secure them in a case in my zipper pockets as well.

The trouble is that zipper pockets have gone out of style. I see them in thrift stores at times, but they're never my size. I currently have one pair and one pair only. However, I've done some digging and even though I haven't officially made the purchase yet I think I'm going to eventually buy the shorts featured on this page: http://www.amazon.com/Weekender-Marco-Polo-Short-Spruce/dp/B001QGERF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304221258&sr=8-2 unless I can find something cheaper. The ones I have now have the zippers and compartments more on the side and these look more like the ones I used to have where the pockets are more towards the leg area. (As opposed to the thigh area.) I like the leg area pockets better. The trouble is I have absolutely no way of knowing just how big the zipper compartments are on the shorts on Amazon. But I figure I'll give them a try. Unless someone has a better suggestion...