Cedar Point releases 2011 shows

And about American Portrait:

Cedar Point Press Release

SANDUSKY, Ohio – Marathon Petroleum Company LP (Marathon) will add even more dazzle to Cedar Point when it sponsors a spectacular new nighttime music and light show this summer at the Sandusky, Ohio, amusement park resort.

Called American Portrait, the new attraction will feature exciting music, high-def digitized video, advanced lighting system and an extensive display of colorful pyrotechnics that will illuminate the evening sky.

“American Portrait is dedicated to the Spirit of America,” said John Hildebrandt, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “It will combine patriotic and contemporary music with unique images of American life. The program will be fast-paced, uplifting and will be enjoyed by everyone in the family.”

The 15-minute program will be presented nightly beginning Friday, June 3 through Sunday, Aug. 21. American Portrait will be shown on the park’s huge 3,600-square-foot projection screen located on the Iron Dragon Midway. On most nights, American Portrait is scheduled to be shown at 10 p.m.

The park’s first nighttime sound and light show, The Summer Spectacular, began in 1995 as part of Cedar Point’s 125th anniversary celebration.

“We are proud to join Cedar Point in bringing this patriotic salute to the park,” said Tom Kelley, Marathon’s Senior Vice President Marketing. “The brilliance and high energy of the new American Portrait nighttime show will be the perfect ending to a visit to Cedar Point.”

In addition to American Portrait, Cedar Point will also have a new show in the Jack Aldrich Theatre plus live music in two other theaters, an ice skating show featuring the PEANUTS characters, a thrilling stunt show with inline skaters and skateboarders and sing-a-longs with Snoopy and his friends.

Marathon is an integrated international energy company engaged in exploration and production; oil sands mining; integrated gas; and refining, marketing and transportation operations. Marathon, which is based in Houston, has principal operations in the United States, Angola, Canada, Equatorial Guinea, Indonesia, Iraqi Kurdistan Region, Libya, Norway, Poland and the United Kingdom. Marathon is the fourth largest United States-based integrated oil company and the nation's fifth largest refiner.

For more information, please visit http://www.marathon.com or cedarpoint.com.

Source: Cedar Fair Entertainment Company

-30-

Given the high winds that peninsula is prone to, I am a bit surprised that has not happened already...

The screen has been torn by severe weather a few times, but they always insist on replacing it. For a park with the acreage and capacity of Cedar Point, a location-based "spectacular" makes absolutely zero sense. Only small percentage of the day's guests can cram into the Funway to watch it, and the daytime aesthetics of all the infastructure are atrocious.

If they're really want something they can market...

Install a rolled screen (automated or manual) 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up Dragster's tophat. Put the projection and laser equipment in the infield, keystoned up towards the screen. Use one of the secluded areas around PWE/Millennium Island for your launch site, and presto! You have a video/laser/fireworks spectacular that can be seen from the entire front half of the park. The soundtrack could be played throughout the zones where the screen can be seen (I'm not sure exactly how the park's audio is zoned, but I'm certain that it is). Since the screen rolls and stows when not in use (which would be 23.5 hrs a day), it would be better protected from weather damage than the current set up.

The potential with a set-up like that is incredible.

Given the high winds that peninsula is prone to, I am a bit surprised that has not happened already...

I asked that very question to a CP exec.

From what he told me, the screen was positioned at an angle where the majority of the severe winds would not harm the screen.

Also, the screen has very small holes to allow wind to pass through it.

But living on the shores of Lake Erie my whole life, I completely agree with you. We get crazy, severe weather.

The screen has been torn by severe weather a few times, but they always insist on replacing it. For a park with the acreage and capacity of Cedar Point, a location-based "spectacular" makes absolutely zero sense. Only small percentage of the day's guests can cram into the Funway to watch it, and the daytime aesthetics of all the infastructure are atrocious.

Install a rolled screen (automated or manual) 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up Dragster's tophat. Put the projection and laser equipment in the infield, keystoned up towards the screen. Use one of the secluded areas around PWE/Millennium Island for your launch site, and presto! You have a video/laser/fireworks spectacular that can be seen from the entire front half of the park. The soundtrack could be played throughout the zones where the screen can be seen (I'm not sure exactly how the park's audio is zoned, but I'm certain that it is). Since the screen rolls and stows when not in use (which would be 23.5 hrs a day), it would be better protected from weather damage than the current set up.

The park's Midway sound system is interconnected through the whole park, with the ability to be zoned. Zoning is used most of the time in the summer, except for the national anthem and the night show. At one time the music zones looked like this park map. Recently, the zones have been reduced combining Main, Gemini, Kiddy Kingdom and most of Oceana. Games area uses Johnny Rocket's, Planet and Camp Snoopy each have there own loop. Frontier town/trail are there own loop as well, until the trail switches to starlight (trail is the only midway not to have the night show played on it). There are three out of park zones main gate, boardwalk/challenge and Soak City. During Halloweekends, the whole park minus Camp and Planet are on the same zone until night when trail becomes the Fright Zone.

Ride and que sound systems are exclusive to the ride and are not connected to the midway. (thus is why one cannot hear the night show in MF's que).

The Dragster scenario you mentioned would require it to go down during the show thus making it unfeasible.

The HD will come in handy in the fall when they show sports on the screen, ruining the atmosphere of Halloweekends.

Finally, The night show takes place on the Million Dollar /Laser/ Hot Summer Lights Midway not the funway. The funway is the old name for the Main Midway (between the Sky Ride stations) in which the original CP&LE station was until the moved it in 1970. The never bothered to change the sign on the station. See this map for more details.

The park's Midway sound system is interconnected through the whole park, with the ability to be zoned. Zoning is used most of the time in the summer, except for the national anthem and the night show. At one time the music zones looked like this park map. Recently, the zones have been reduced combining Main, Gemini, Kiddy Kingdom and most of Oceana. Games area uses Johnny Rocket's, Planet and Camp Snoopy each have there own loop. Frontier town/trail are there own loop as well, until the trail switches to starlight (trail is the only midway not to have the night show played on it). There are three out of park zones main gate, boardwalk/challenge and Soak City. During Halloweekends, the whole park minus Camp and Planet are on the same zone until night when trail becomes the Fright Zone.

Ride and que sound systems are exclusive to the ride and are not connected to the midway. (thus is why one cannot hear the night show in MF's que).

The Dragster scenario you mentioned would require it to go down during the show thus making it unfeasible.

The HD will come in handy in the fall when they show sports on the screen, ruining the atmosphere of Halloweekends.

Finally, The night show takes place on the Million Dollar /Laser/ Hot Summer Lights Midway not the funway. The funway is the old name for the Main Midway (between the Sky Ride stations) in which the original CP&LE station was until the moved it in 1970. The never bothered to change the sign on the station. See this map for more details.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like they have it done better than I expected.

I wouldn't call a :30 to :45 minute closure of TTD completely "unfeasible." Close the queue at a posted time (:20 minutes before showtime?), continue to operate the ride until showtime, allow patrons to watch the show from the queue, and then finish out the line after the show.

^^PREMiERDrum, Have you ever been in The Beast Queue when it shuts down for fireworks? If so I'm sure you've seen the good number of guests that get frustrated/angry during the 30 minute shutdown. Also as a reminder, the crew makes announcements about the shutdown beginning at 9pm, following at 9:15, 9:30, and then every 5 minutes leading up to the closure at 9:45pm.

As PhantomTheater said, a 30 minute downtime could wreck havoc on TTD on a cool day. You've got to admit though, a giant screen on the tower would look awesome!