Fixing themes/lighting at KI... THE CRYPT

patsum

Yes. It was not played in the park, unlike the Coney theme song which has been around for nearly five years now, I think. And trust me, after working the Ferris Wheel as often as I have (which is right next to the open air Lakeside Pavilion, where the live shows are held), that Coney theme song can get a tad bit annoying!

I havn't rode the Crypt sence the year it opened and then I wasn't really much on it but I do have to agree with the themes on some rides need to be fixed up a bit more. I mean I was waiting in line for the Flight of Fear last summer and I have noticed some of the lights are not all on( burn out I'm guessing) . I mean, it sometimes adds on to the ride making it creepier but computer looking thing in the flying saucer made me sad when It wasn't glowy. But I mean Cedar Fair will hopefully go back and theme up some places and or fixs the lights.. I mean it will be sad if we have to bring flashlights on the inside rides... Jk JK :P

I havn't rode the Crypt sence the year it opened and then I wasn't really much on it but I do have to agree with the themes on some rides need to be fixed up a bit more. I mean I was waiting in line for the Flight of Fear last summer and I have noticed some of the lights are not all on( burn out I'm guessing) . I mean, it sometimes adds on to the ride making it creepier but computer looking thing in the flying saucer made me sad when It wasn't glowy. But I mean Cedar Fair will hopefully go back and theme up some places and or fixs the lights.. I mean it will be sad if we have to bring flashlights on the inside rides... Jk JK :P

The Crypt's queue line is so dark a flashlight would be helpful...but it was like that under Paramount, too. Really, though, Cedar Fair no longer has the dark scene on Flight of Fear's preshow...so why is it okay to have a nearly pitch dark queue over at The Crypt?

I have always wondered why the queue for crypt was so dark. I think some dim pathway lighting would be sufficient.

The Crypt's queue line is so dark a flashlight would be helpful...but it was like that under Paramount, too. Really, though, Cedar Fair no longer has the dark scene on Flight of Fear's preshow...so why is it okay to have a nearly pitch dark queue over at The Crypt?

I miss the old dark days of FOF pre show. Sad that some things are ruined by immature people.

I don't know that any of us here are privy to the exact specifications of the transaction that went on between CBS' Paramount Parks and Cedar Fair. One story that I was given by a high-ranking employee at Kings Island (whose position was not seasonal in nature - no Dippin Dots guys) is that for whatever reason, when it came to Tomb Raider: The Ride, the transition from a ride with an intellectual property to one without meant not just a change in name. Perhaps because Tomb Raider was so intricately themed, that particular transformation required not just a simple removal of the film props, but near-abandonment of the very concept of the ride: an ancient temple, a search for a lost treasure, a deity. The new, Cedar Fair version of the ride was required to lose not only the movie props, but the idea of searching for something; of excavating a tomb; of a goddess and ancient powers.

Again, I would consider my source reliable, but by no means do I claim that that is that only (or even most important) reason for any switches that occurred.

Given the fact that Paramount Parks patented the entire Tomb Raider experience, I would imagine your source is spot on. Not only were the Tomb Raider namesake and theme in question, but literally everything down to the fog and loose item pouches used during the ride are included in Paramount's patent. I'm no lawyer, but I imagine Cedar Fair's hands are tied, and they could do very little themeing even if they wanted to.

I don't know that any of us here are privy to the exact specifications of the transaction that went on between CBS' Paramount Parks and Cedar Fair. One story that I was given by a high-ranking employee at Kings Island (whose position was not seasonal in nature - no Dippin Dots guys) is that for whatever reason, when it came to Tomb Raider: The Ride, the transition from a ride with an intellectual property to one without meant not just a change in name. Perhaps because Tomb Raider was so intricately themed, that particular transformation required not just a simple removal of the film props, but near-abandonment of the very concept of the ride: an ancient temple, a search for a lost treasure, a deity. The new, Cedar Fair version of the ride was required to lose not only the movie props, but the idea of searching for something; of excavating a tomb; of a goddess and ancient powers.

Again, I would consider my source reliable, but by no means do I claim that that is that only (or even most important) reason for any switches that occurred.

Given the fact that Paramount Parks patented the entire Tomb Raider experience, I would imagine your source is spot on. Not only were the Tomb Raider namesake and theme in question, but literally everything down to the fog and loose item pouches used during the ride are included in Paramount's patent. I'm no lawyer, but I imagine Cedar Fair's hands are tied, and they could do very little themeing even if they wanted to.

What a great find. I'm salivating. It's also a testament to how ambitious Paramount truly was concerning this ride. Even when the ride ended up with half of its intended effects years later, it was still light years ahead of any other ride in Ohio, and definitely top-tier for any American seasonal park.

It also seems that perhaps they didn't know the effects of the lack of weather-proofing at the time, since the patent mentions fog (and even fine mist) in nearly every effect - hanging over the pool of lava, sprayed amid the icicles, etc. They also mention the ride's capability to perform varied cycles - they mention a "G-rated," "PG-rated," and "R-Rated" cycle that may be programmed for the daytime, afternoon, and "after 10 PM" respectively that increase the ride's length, intensity, effects, etc. including adding flames for the "R-Rated" cycle (which is contrary to all that I've heard about the building not even being coded or ventilated for open flames, much less having the ride able to withstand the heat). And it's also nice to read about the "high-powered halogen" lights which "scanned" the gondola from the goddess' eyes. It's that sort of thing that you just forget over time...

Interestingly though, the patent was filed March 31st, 2003... Nearly a year after the ride opened (and doubtlessly years after it was first designed or conceived). Is that typical of the industry? Or was that perhaps done in preparation for the corporate shuffling that followed, and ultimately lead to the sale of Paramount Parks? Anyone know more, or have a timeline that may be more helpful?

I miss the old dark days of FOF pre show. Sad that some things are ruined by immature people.

Which only further extends the irony of The Crypt being so dark. Why is that ok while FoF being dark isn't? Not cool :(

You make good points, but I feel like most were already addressed - the ride (allegedly) cannot have a theme even mildly related to Tomb Raider. That means no "adventure," no "quest for an ancient treasure," no "attacking goddess," etc. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has the right to use the Indiana Jones franchise in its amusement parks (a license which they purchased from Paramount, ironically). I shudder to think what it would cost them to bring him to Kings Island.

I just want to correct you here.Lucasfilm Limited (George Lucas' company) owns Indiana Jones.Paramount was the distribution company.

• 5 years later...