Scariest Ride at KI

jcgoble3

OK, here's another poll. According to the search function, this basic idea has been done twice before. However, the first time was several years ago before Diamondback and WindSeeker, and it only listed a limited selection of rides in the dry park. The second one was just a discussion with no actual vote, and it too predated Diamondback and WindSeeker. Therefore, I decided to do a new one.

All rides are listed in alphabetical order; there's also two options for rides not listed and an option for those people who are totally fearless. Have fun (that is, if you can overcome your fears)!

OK, now that a few people have posted and voted, I'll state and explain my vote.

My vote was for the center slide on Bondi Pipeline. When you first go into the vertical drop, you freefall without touching anything for a fraction of a second, and that gives me one of those "OH CRAP!" moments.

Other than that, nothing at KI still scares me.

Drop Tower is the only ride I find myself a little edgy when getting on. I'm willing to bet WindSeeker will bring out that same feeling though.

The only time I was ever truely scared waiting for a ride was opening year of FoF. I was 11 and had a mortal fear of roller coasters at the time.

The only time I was ever truely scared waiting for a ride was opening year of FoF. I was 11 and had a mortal fear of roller coasters at the time.

Same with me! My friend made me go on FoF.

Man, it seems like it was only two years ago...oh wait...it was.

This may sound bizarre, but I picked a dry park ride not listed - Zephyr.

I can climb on Skyflyer, Drop Tower, any coaster with a sense of excitement, but looking at Zephyr gets me nervous/scared. And thank goodness there isn't a Ferris Wheel at Kings Island, because those scare the heck out of me also.

So if you are terrified of Zephyr, are you going to ride WindSeeker?

Ferris Wheel`s do not scare me. I actually had to ride the Ferris Wheel at Coney this past year, because we had guests complaining about wasps at the top of the ride. Not exactly the place you want to be, 40' in the air in a car with wasps swarming around!

I have ridden Zephyr and similar swing rides with my kids (along with Ferris Wheels), but will not choose to ride or suggest them myself.

I will ride WindSeeker - how often is still to be determined based upon the enjoyment factor. I know that my nervousness on Zephyr is irrational - it stems from the seemingly small bar and chains attaching the seat to the structure. I'm hopeful WindSeeker "looks" more structurally safe.

And before anyone who knows me mentions it, yes I am an engineer and should know that the "looks" don't matter - as was mentioned above, the "mind is a mysterious thing"

Sling Shot takes the cake as the most scariest ride at KI nothing holds a candle to it.

(yup that's right not even Drop Tower compares too it.)

And if you don't believe me, go buy your ticket at opening for ten bucks a person and ride it later on in the day.

A perfect example of how ride experiences vary from person to person. I find Sling Shot to be less exciting than sitting on a park bench watching pigeons walk. Truly.

I totally believe you and respect your opinion.

After all, I adore Rolling Thunder.

(Someone besides just Rich and Sue has to!)

:o

One reason I love Sling Shot is when you're being launched and you see the two steel towers disappearing and then for a couple seconds you see nothing but the sky, no towers, no Eiffel Tower.

And then you're flipped over getting a quick view of the Eiffel Tower and then looking straight at the ground. eh good times.

But yea it does get quite boring if you ride it over and over a lot :P

Oh, I totally respect your opinion. About the only rides left that really scare me (or at least make me queasy):

* Kiddie Frog Hoppers...that little bounce at the top of each launch just gives me a pit in my stomach.

* First generation Intamin freefalls, like Demon Drop...see above, plus the drop just causes that very same pit...

* Magic carpet rides where the riders face each other in a configuration much like Viking Fury...when those babies are cranked up, I get that exact same feeling, and then have difficulty walking for several days. The one Kennywood had back in the old days when they really ran it flat out especially did that to me. Oddly, if all the seats face out in three rows, I don't get that sensation...

I have never been on the Frog Hopper ride at Coney. And it has a big boy seat in the center too... The Scream Machine ride at Coney is nowhere near as tall as Drop Tower at Kings Island, but it provides quite a little rush in the stomach when you drop. The only downside with working that ride, is the ride cycle time is so short. If you are at that ride, the time seems to drag by because it is such a repetitive operation, with only about a minute ride cycle time.

Ok. Diamondback. Not for the amazing drops, hills, speed and turns, but for the restraint system. I know it's fail-safe, diligently inspected and maintained, and would require sheer, brute force to overcome the "clicks". I'm just one of those who have read about "micro-fractures" and "metallurgic impurities" that somehow get by the most intense scrutiny and start thinking: "What are the odds?... Naaah." (The 'Naaah' comes usually at about the MCBR). Other than that, it's a great ride, let me tell you!

Yeah, DB's entire "passenger" system freaks me out. If it had trains similar to say, Vortex, I would have probably ridden it a lot more by now. However, judging from its popularity, I don't think it's been much of a problem for ridership :D.

I would say Drop Tower, that is the only ride I get really nervous on. I wouldn't say I am the only one, if you watch everyone sitting waiting for the ride to head up the tower just watch all the nervous energy the riders expend with their legs all moving and kicking in and out!