Scariest Ride at KI

jcgoble3

I choose Flight of Fear because being a first time rider you don't know what you are getting into, even in the station (can't see the rest of the ride and getting to see the launch,) also with the theming still in place it can be quite scary for riders. As for a flat I have to choose Delirium. I did not ride it the first few times I went to KI after it opened. It just didn't look like a ride I would enjoy and was very intimidating. After getting on and ridding it, I loved it!

A perfect example of how ride experiences vary from person to person. I find Sling Shot to be less exciting than sitting on a park bench watching pigeons walk. Truly.

It's good to see I'm not the only one with that opinion. The only thrill I get from it is trying to flip the ball over.

A lot of people have responded Drop Tower, but to me that's nothing compared to Skyflyer. Looking straight down at the ground with nothing between you and it but a harness is the scariest thing in the park!

A perfect example of how ride experiences vary from person to person. I find Sling Shot to be less exciting than sitting on a park bench watching pigeons walk. Truly.

It's good to see I'm not the only one with that opinion. The only thrill I get from it is trying to flip the ball over.

A lot of people have responded Drop Tower, but to me that's nothing compared to Skyflyer. Looking straight down at the ground with nothing between you and it but a harness is the scariest thing in the park!

The scariest part of Skyflyer for me is when the floor falls out from under you and you fall forward until the harness catches you. ohmy.gif

I voted Sling Shot. Simply because it is the only ride in the park I have yet to gain the courage to ride.

This thread reminds me of my very first trip to Kings Island in 08'. I was deathly afraid of roller coasters and wanted absolutely nothing to do with them. My mom tricked me into riding Flight of Fear by not telling me what it was she was making me get on. I was clueless. She had everyone in the queue say that it was just "a room you went into and it spun you around." And being a fan of teacups, I was okay with this. But then out of nowhere, I hear the blood-curdling screech of Flight of Fear launching. To say the least, I freaked out. I was panicking, and although I don't remember very vividly, but I was was probably crying. The rest of the queue seemed like it took forever. But then, there I was. Getting into the train. I held on tight, nervous as could be.. then, HURRMMMMM *swosh* we were off. White-knuckled all the way. Then we arrived in the station.. and that is how my love affair began <3

I voted Sling Shot. Simply because it is the only ride in the park I have yet to gain the courage to ride.

This thread reminds me of my very first trip to Kings Island in 08'. I was deathly afraid of roller coasters and wanted absolutely nothing to do with them. My mom tricked me into riding Flight of Fear by not telling me what it was she was making me get on. I was clueless. She had everyone in the queue say that it was just "a room you went into and it spun you around." And being a fan of teacups, I was okay with this. But then out of nowhere, I hear the blood-curdling screech of Flight of Fear launching. To say the least, I freaked out. I was panicking, and although I don't remember very vividly, but I was was probably crying. The rest of the queue seemed like it took forever. But then, there I was. Getting into the train. I held on tight, nervous as could be.. then, HURRMMMMM *swosh* we were off. White-knuckled all the way. Then we arrived in the station.. and that is how my love affair began <3

Awesome story FOFFreak. Thanks for sharing. Glad you were able to be tricked out of your fear!

• 2 weeks later...

I voted Xtreme Skyflyer, the whole experience being lifted up to the top, pulling the chord (may actually be the part I find scariest), and the second or two right after you pull the chord before the rope catches you and you are essentially free falling are all really scary to me, but at the same time, very fun.

Drop Tower comes in first as the scariest non-up charge attraction, the anticipation on the way up and especially the last bit at the very top. Although I must say, after seeing the pictures of WindSeeker's seats, that may also be a very scary experience as well.

189350_10150207625283368_155893938367_8897868_8321548_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I fully second that.. I am so glad I'm not the only one. Skyflyer scares me because regardless of all the precautions, I just can't fully convince myself to feel safe while riding. I'm not too sure about a ride where a metal cable is the only thing separating me from life and death.

I fully second that.. I am so glad I'm not the only one. Skyflyer scares me because regardless of all the precautions, I just can't fully convince myself to feel safe while riding. I'm not too sure about a ride where a metal cable is the only thing separating me from life and death.

And what separates you from life and death on a sky ride, Flying Eagles, ziplines, etc.? Also a metal cable...

And what separates you from life and death on a sky ride, Flying Eagles, ziplines, etc.? Also a metal cable...

You have absolutely no idea how terrified I am of sky rides for that reason. I'll only ride them if the park is truly worth looking at and can't see it any other way, or if I'm tired of walking, but I'm white knuckled the whole time.

I've never been on a zipline at a park. As far as Flying Eagles, they have several cables that attach from the ride itself to the car, not just one cable.. plus the sky rides and sky flyers are MUCH higher off the ground than a flying eagle ride.

I suppose that may also stem from the fact that my fear of heights is still about 5% there, which is probably also why I was really nervous on Kings Dominion's Drop Tower.. that thing is far more terrifying than any Drop Tower I've ever ridden.

Amen Terp.

I voted Drop Zone (yes, it's still that in my mind) mostly because it's the one ride that I still have a hard time getting on. Ironically enough, I had a much easier time riding it when it first came out in 99' then I do now. Funny how that works...

The paintings on the Grand Carousel used to freak me too sad.gif Specifically the giant gothic looking castle.

Drop Tower gives me a different type of anxiety than any other ride in the park. The anticipation of the drop at the top combined with my feet dangling cause alot of uneasiness. For some reason I always feel like my shoes are going to slip off during the climb. I also love taking friends on FoF for the first time. There reaction when they step into the station is priceless!

• 12 years later...

WindSeeker by far is the most terrifying ride at Kings Island for me. I can only imagine the ride breaking down and me getting stuck up there, Drop Tower also falls in this category, it’s guilty by association.

• Like 2

Agreed. I've been up there when it's windy.

I would say Diamondback in the left "wing" seat. I only ride in that seat if I'm feeling really brave (and often regret my decision soon afterward lol). I think it's the scariest as you are most exposed in that seat.

-MDMC, who sees Diamondback as a "challenge-by-choice" coaster

• Like 1

I'm not necessarily afraid of the Drop Tower when I'm standing on the ground but when I get to the top I always get the sensation that I'm going about to wet my pants then once it drops I'm perfectly fine. It's weird because I do ride it and enjoy it so idk if I'm subconsciously afraid of it or not. The one I worry about breaking down while I'm riding is definitely wind seeker because I don't want to be stuck on that ride at all let alone a couple hundred feet off the ground. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Ah. Scary. I can't really think of any ride at KI ( or really any park for that matter ) that actually scares me. I think maybe "high thrill" factor comes to mind more, but if anything actually came close to being scary it would be these two:

Defunct: Son of Beast-I think anyone who rode it understands without much explanation why this coaster could be classified as scary. In theory, no roller coaster is scary to me personally, but this is the only one in my mind that could fit the bill here mainly because of it's reputation and just the overall relentless rip your head off sensation this ride gave. You really did question your life when riding this thing. So I give the crown to the euthanized feral son. 

Operating: SkyFlyer-Again, I find it difficult to really classify any ride as scary because I just don't get scared on rides, but there are parts to this that make me have a moment or two of going "whoa"-the initial sweeping off your feet into the harness and that moment of realizing you're 150 something feet in the air dangling by a cable in a body harness at the mercy of this thing holding you up as you free-fall back to earth. This to me is still the most thrilling ride in the park and something I do 1-2X a year when I have someone with me willing to take the leap. 

There's rides I won't ride that don't necessarily freak me out themselves, but the way they make me feel. I have a huge issue with my stomach feeling like its dropping when I fall straight down on things. That being said, Drop Tower is a no for me. I won't ride it. That and because I have an irrational fear of falling out of it (especially ever since the video was on the news of the kid slipping out of a similar tower). 

I love riding Orion, and made it my mission to ride it from every seat last summer. I rode in the very back row with my friends who are also coaster junkies, and we all said NEVER again. We all felt like we were going to get flung from our seats when we went down the first drop, which was especially fast because of the stalling and then all the seats in front of us lunging forward, so it felt like the drop x2 for us. 

It was awesome after that initial drop, but it freaked us all out a little bit. 

And I know I said NEVER again, but I'm probably going to do it again next summer lmao.