FansofKiEntertainment.com Counting Down til Opening with 20 Question Challenge!

Kirk Sheppard

Join us at FansofKiEntertainment.com's FaceBook page (here) as we countdown to April 30th with a 20 Question Kings Island Challenge. Also, listen to our podcast here. Looking forward to a great season at the parks and partnering with our friends at KICentral.com as well!

The first question on the 20 Question challenge is... "What is your favorite current Kings Island coaster." Feel free to post your comments here or add them to our FB page OR even add it to your own FB or other social media site...

Let the discussion begin...

Very good interview Kirk! This is very interesting to me as I have been trying to get into Entertainment as a technician and have been an avid fan of the Entertainment Department the past 3 years especially. Thanks so much for sharing this :)

I do believe this violates TOS of this site.

Why does everyone feel the need to be a moderator on this site?

Aw, I think we're all just bored waiting for April 30th to get here . . . and I see where they're coming from if I were posting "spam" or non-KI related stuff or trying to make money from the KIC followers . . . however, KIC and FansofKiE are friends . . . so I think we're all good. . . but the moderators can correct me if I'm wrong and I'll stop posting these sorts of things . . .

As a former mod, I hate when topics get like this. It is unfair to the user who made the topic! Can everyone just learn to use the PM or report button? Thanks!

Great Interview Kirk! Love the site and love how your finding ways to inform people who love the park just for the rides to also find the Entertainment side of KI just as interesting and fun! Your doing a great job!

Great Interview Kirk! Love the site and love how your finding ways to inform people who love the park just for the rides to also find the Entertainment side of KI just as interesting and fun! Your doing a great job!

I agree Kirk! Thanks fort keeping us informed about the show side!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Kevin Brunck the Area Manager of Live Entertainment wrote Hot Blooded and Way Too Much TV! Those shows were absolute crap. Any child could piece songs together and call it a show. Sorry, there's no talent there at all. The performers, singers, and dancers did a good job given the crap they had to work with and I felt sorry for them watching them perform such crap because I'm sure they thought they would be doing a real show when doing their auditions, but now I think we the people here at KICentral should start writing some real shows and submitting them for some season in the future. Average show length should be somewhere between 20 minutes to 40 minutes, let's get on it, let the show writing begin!

Selective,

Don't forget the venue... It's a seasonal amusement park and furthermore, it has to cater to a wide audience and I think it does that with moderate success. Is it of professional / broadway quality? Having seen over 15 broadway shows, I can tell you the answer is absolutely not. (how many times did Simon Cowell reference feeling like he was in an amusement park when giving his critique to a less than stellar audition-er?). Selective you do make a point though, its generally not the performers that make the shows somewhat hokey - its the content/arrangements. And too, I think after you see a certain number of 'revue' shows - they all sort of bleed together. When was the last time a revue show got any of us so excited that when it was over we jumped to our feet in standing ovation?

Does the General Public really come to Kings Island for the sole purpose of watching the Live E? (with the exception of Kirk Sheppard) No. Its an additional offering to the rides. It rounds out the park experience, but isn't the focus. I hope you don't expect to see anything that exceeds 30 minutes and has a real plot to it, because I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. The revue type shows are what primarily works apparently, and they arent going anywhere anytime soon and if I had to guess why - I'd say because they are tried and true... in essence - they are safe.

Am I a "FanofKIentertainment" ? With my 6 year old god-son when he wants to watch it, or on a rainy day / extremely hot day - sure why not... but again, it isn't like we've got a full queue house to see way too much tv.

What would make you a fan of ki entertainment? I can tell you my answer...

A variety of live entertainment...

For anyone to try and sell me on Kings Island having a variety of live entertainment options would also have to moonlight as a used car salesmen ... because IMO, they don't. It has boggled my mind why Kings Island (or any parks, except disney) have never done a "blast!" type show. What about a bmx / skateboard show here? Live music ensembles. Wandering street performers? Just to name a few ideas off the top of my head at 1:50am...

If there was more variety in the types of live e, i might subscribe to being a fan of ki entertainment... but when Kings Island has the same essential offerings that most seasonal parks around the country have - to me, it creates a continuity of sameness across the parks and the park operators even. Kings Island has what, six or seven shows? In my perfect world, one of those would be a musical revue type show. There are plenty of other types of productions that can be put on, especially with the venues Kings Island has (at a park its size with its history in live e no less)...

Now selective... Im sure a certain fan of ki-entertainment is going to come to the creators and performers defense - but keep your opinion, its yours and its important. And perhaps if more people at KIC discuss different entertainment options we might see them start to pop up sometime in the future - who knows?

I certainly don't mean to 'dog' the entertainment department at Kings Island, like I said - they have provided me with some entertainment over the past few years, especially when I'm with a younger crowd. We could have a conversation about quality vs. quantity too, would you rather have one really great show that packed a big punch... or multiple revue shows and the Ice Show. Its definitely a conversation that perhaps is worth having at some point (not now though, Im sleepy), but it just seems like all to often the phrase "variety is the spice of life" is forgotten. With that said, Im grateful we have Live E at all and I hope it evolves into something greater than its current incarnation soon. Who wants to watch Snoopy's *insert misc. tag line here* ON ICE! in 50 years? ;-)

Anyway - just my 2 cents as always...

No need to defend anything, though I will tell you that "Hot Blooded" played to sold out crowds a lot during Haunt last year and there are definitely times where Way Too Much TV was VERY crowded and it was hard to get a seat last summer. I will also tell you that there are far more people that go to see the shows and have the same park habits as I do (ride in the AM before it gets crowded, ride between show times, walk around the park and eat good fattening park foods, etc. but making shows a priority) than you think.

So, you guys can debate. I'll just be here awaiting Selective's first submission of a music revue show complete with choreography, completed musical score, and the casting of the talent to pull it off well.

Go ahead. . . I'm waiting. . . .

Free internet is crappy? You paid for the computer...

Free shows at Kings Island are "crappy?" You paid to get in but nothing additional for the show.

Gee...I think I see a trend here.

Disney shows are far better? Or Dollywood? Busch? Or Fiesta Texas? At those parks, shows are a primary attractor of the target audience. At Kings Island (and even more so at Cedar Point), they are not. What is emphasized gets more money, more attention and higher quality. It was always thus. There was a time when shows at Kings Island were a primary emphasis, and some of the shows truly were near Broadway quality. There was also a time when the park was owned by an entertainment company, but the shows were even less of an emphasis than they are now. Fortunately, that latter time has passed into the past.

Free internet is crappy? You paid for the computer...

Free shows at Kings Island are "crappy?" You paid to get in but nothing additional for the show.

Gee...I think I see a trend here.

Have no idea what the point you're making here is at all . . . but to clarify, the wi fi where I live is free and you certainly get what you pay for as it is slower than molasses. You're old enough to remember molasses, right Terpy?

For anyone to try and sell me on Kings Island having a variety of live entertainment options would also have to moonlight as a used car salesmen ... because IMO, they don't. It has boggled my mind why Kings Island (or any parks, except disney) have never done a "blast!" type show. What about a bmx / skateboard show here? Live music ensembles. Wandering street performers? Just to name a few ideas off the top of my head at 1:50am...

They did have wandering street performers in early 2009, I believe. And they were largely ignored by most people.

CedarPointer, who has fond memories of watching someone walk through Nickelodeon Universe with those weird stilt things, a cowboy in Rivertown, and a magician near Front Gate.

They did have wandering street performers in early 2009, I believe. And they were largely ignored by most people.

CedarPointer, who has fond memories of watching someone walk through Nickelodeon Universe with those weird stilt things, a cowboy in Rivertown, and a magician near Front Gate.

i remember the magician, he caught me off gaurd.

I wasn't really referencing anything to do with Coney Island, just roaming characters at Kings Island (and not just the Cedar Fair Kings Island either).

To make the statement "The street performers were largely ignored by most people" is really no more than just an opinion with no tangible data to back it up. Especially with roaming street performers, you'll never really be able to know how many visitors per day have interacted with that performer. If you park these performers in high traffic areas in front of merchandise or food locations, you not only are getting views by all the eyes that walk by, but of those sets of eyes some may stop for a period of time to watch, and as I mentioned, if the performer is parked in front of a merchandise location - it could motivate a sale. So while the exact number of guests they interact with is more or less an intangible figure - they do serve a purpose in not only entertainment but directing a guests attention to *insert specific location here*

And to respond to Kirk... You said Hot Blooded performed to sold out crowds a lot during Haunt... My response to that would be, so did the Rivertown restrooms, with probably longer lines. The truth is - Haunt is very busy - to put it lightly. I would almost go so far as to say, Haunt is so busy it borders on no longer being fun. I am not surprised that Hot Blooded had big crowds, everything in the park was stuffed to the brim. I was guilty of even watching it, for no other reason than I didn't want to wait hours upon hours in an endless queue line and to be fair I did enjoy it the one time I viewed it, though I can't say I'd go out of my way for a second viewing. Your comments about Way too much TV being 'very' busy and more people than we think going to the park that exhibit your habits are strictly subjective thoughts. Im sure there are plenty of people who come to the park and watch some of the shows mid-day to escape some of the longer lines, but the comment in my post did not negate that fact, it instead inferred the general public does not come to Kings Island to partake in strictly its live entertainment offerings.

To put it in perspective, perhaps the question should be asked... Of all the users on KICentral.com - how many of you would buy a season pass or make multiple trips if Kings Island had no rides, if it were strictly admission to its Live Entertainment offerings? I know that really isn't a completely fair question, but I sometimes get the feeling (and I could be totally wrong), that you, Kirk, feel there is a vast group of people who are primarily visiting Kings Island for the Live E... Maybe there are, I'd love to meet them to hear what they'd like to see improved.

Again, Im really not dogging Kings Islands Live E. In its current incarnation, I personally feel its a lot of the "same", and I would love more variety in the types of programs offered. I have faith though, and I do realize things move in baby-steps at times, as such Im committed to seeing where CF takes Live E - I know they have lots of great ideas to bring to their parks, hopefully the funds will one day be allocated...

Lastly, just as an afterthought... Kirk, I don't think selective will be responding to your snarky comment at the end of your post (just a hunch), so I hope you are comfortable and ready to hunker down for the long haul, because you might be waiting a while...

And to respond to Kirk... You said Hot Blooded performed to sold out crowds a lot during Haunt... My response to that would be, so did the Rivertown restrooms, with probably longer lines. The truth is - Haunt is very busy - to put it lightly. I would almost go so far as to say, Haunt is so busy it borders on no longer being fun. I am not surprised that Hot Blooded had big crowds, everything in the park was stuffed to the brim. I was guilty of even watching it, for no other reason than I didn't want to wait hours upon hours in an endless queue line and to be fair I did enjoy it the one time I viewed it, though I can't say I'd go out of my way for a second viewing.

Being that I was at every show on Friday nights the entire Haunt run and every show on a couple Saturdays, I can tell you that there were multiple repeat customers of Hot Blooded. It is a very popular show and I think that is largely due to the special effects that are unique to it. It is a pretty big time production. I would also say that I don't think the majority of park guests come just to see it or even watch it more than once. However, there can be no denying that it is a vital part of the Haunt experience for lots of people.

Why do you say that you are "guilty" of watching it? Your biggest peeve seems to be the lack of variety. There is one show of its kind during Haunt. (Ghouls Gone Wild, which is in the same vein as it is a singing/dancing musical revue with a Halloween theme only played during Howl-O-Fest except for the first Friday night.) You felt "guilty" because . . .?

Your comments about Way too much TV being 'very' busy and more people than we think going to the park that exhibit your habits are strictly subjective thoughts. Im sure there are plenty of people who come to the park and watch some of the shows mid-day to escape some of the longer lines, but the comment in my post did not negate that fact, it instead inferred the general public does not come to Kings Island to partake in strictly its live entertainment offerings.

Nor have I ever indicated that the majority of the general public comes to Kings Island just for the shows, directly or indirectly. This is some wacky assertion that you have made on your own.

To put it in perspective, perhaps the question should be asked... Of all the users on KICentral.com - how many of you would buy a season pass or make multiple trips if Kings Island had no rides, if it were strictly admission to its Live Entertainment offerings? I know that really isn't a completely fair question, but I sometimes get the feeling (and I could be totally wrong), that you, Kirk, feel there is a vast group of people who are primarily visiting Kings Island for the Live E... Maybe there are, I'd love to meet them to hear what they'd like to see improved.

Ummmm, no. Even I would probably not buy a season pass to Kings Island if it had nothing but live entertainment. I love the shows, obviously, and more than most people, but I also ride the rides and enjoy the atmosphere throughout the park. I would tell you (subjectively, I suppose) that there are more than a handful of people that do go out of their way to re-watch their favorite shows or performers on each of their trips to Kings Island. I know this because again, I see them on a regular basis and HAVE had conversations with many of them. But I - like them - also enjoy lots of other things Kings Island has to offer.

The purpose of FansofKiEntertainment.com is to spotlight the entertainment division as it is often secondary to the roller coasters and thrill rides in the minds of many. I don't quite understand why you seem to have such a problem with me enjoying and going out of my way to let the performers and others responsible for what I consider to be above average shows know they are appreciated by focusing some attention their way. There are lots of web sites devoted to rides; my dinky little web site is just another one with a different bent.

Again, Im really not dogging Kings Islands Live E. In its current incarnation, I personally feel its a lot of the "same", and I would love more variety in the types of programs offered. I have faith though, and I do realize things move in baby-steps at times, as such Im committed to seeing where CF takes Live E - I know they have lots of great ideas to bring to their parks, hopefully the funds will one day be allocated...

And that's your opinion, which are you completely entitled to. I don't even totally disagree. Luckily for me, I happen to enjoy the type of musical revue that the park produces and think the variety is found in the various themes and styles of music. However, given that this year's audition schedule included variety entertainers, I bet the park agrees with you also more than you might think.

Unfortunately, we have what we have. If no one auditions to do those kinds of acts, then its not as if the park just grab the Dippin Dots guy and give him some balls to juggle or some stilts to walk on. My purpose more than any other is to support and encourage the performers and provide a place to share my photographs so that they can have them to use for their own purposes. Am I hurting anyone by doing so? For some reason, I get the impression that the site and my love for watching and supporting the shows gets under your crawl. It baffles me, frankly. You should be grateful that I'm one less guy waiting in line for your favorite ride or roller coaster.

Lastly, just as an afterthought... Kirk, I don't think selective will be responding to your snarky comment at the end of your post (just a hunch), so I hope you are comfortable and ready to hunker down for the long haul, because you might be waiting a while...

Thanks for your concern. As a reminder, here's what selective posted:

... now I think we the people here at KICentral should start writing some real shows and submitting them for some season in the future. Average show length should be somewhere between 20 minutes to 40 minutes, let's get on it, let the show writing begin!

I'm not going anywhere, and especially since he or she was the one to offer that any child could write these types of shows, it shouldn't be long now before we start to see these wonderfully written productions from him or her.

But you're right, I bet I will be (quite snarkily, actually) waiting a very long time. Its too bad because I'd really love to see what selective comes up with. A musical tribute to vegetarianism perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...