Ohio River Expected to Flood

CoastersRZ

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110308/NEWS01/303080029/Ohio-River-expected-flood-by-Thursday?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

This past weekend when the Ohio reached just over 50', the east parking lot at Coney was partially submerged under water. A flood with a crest of 54 or 55' is enough to make Sunlite Pool be under water. The last time the Ohio River crested above flood stage was back in 2005 when flood waters crested at 56.66 feet. Prior to that, it last crested at 54.50 ft on 02/22/2000.

A flood of 54 or 55' is quite significant for Coney. Sunlite Pool and the filter building will be under water. And potentially other building on property will be under water as well. Riverbend Music Center is partially under water, and Kellogg Avenue between Coney and River Downs is impassible because of high water.

UPDATE: Kellogg Avenue is currently closed between Coney Island (at Sutton Avenue) and Riverdowns due to high water. I hope to be able to have some pictures to share later tonight. My brother went down to Coney this afternoon to take pictures, and I think he got roped into helping move some last minute items to higher ground, as he is still down at Coney.

Oh they do. Most of the important stuff at Sunlite Pool gets loaded onto trailers every September for easy movement if the river threatens flooding. Other things get places in the warehouse above the employee cafe, rides office, and games area. Still other things (like the Carousel horses), get places on the second level of Moonlite Gardens. And remember, that the main administration offices are located on the second floor of the administration building. (A public restroom occupies most of the first floor).

A small update to Coney Island Central has been posted! Check out the three new images in this gallery, titled "Floods:" http://www.coneyisla...ls.php?album=52

1937-Flood-Coney.jpg

1937- 80', 28' above flood stage (52').

1964-Flood-Coney.jpg

1964 Flood- 66.2', 14.2' above flood stage

1997-Flood-Coney.jpg

1997 Flood- 64.7', 12.7' above flood stage

Images include shots of the park in the 1937, 1964 and 1997 floods. Hopefully, when my brother gets home, he`ll have more images to share of the current flooding at Coney (he still isn`t home yet).

As promised, I have some photos of Coney flooding. My brother actually got roped into working five hours to help move items to higher ground, or tie down larger items (such as picnic tables and pool chairs).

Here is one image:

coney_2011_flood_5.jpg

The above image was taken around 5pm.

coney_2011_flood_1.jpg

And then the above image was taken around 6:30pm. In between the two above images, this was happening:

coney_2011_flood_4.jpg

Water was rushing into the pool from the top!

For more flooding images of Coney, check out the photo gallery on Coney Island Central.com here: http://www.coneyislandcentral.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=53

Thanks for the pictures - from what I heard on the radio today, the river is still climbing and is expected to crest a couple of feet higher than today sometime this weekend. Do you know the level as these pics were taken versus crest level by any chance?

The current level of the river is at 52.6 feet. (The river reached the flood stage mark around 8 tonight, after these images were taken. They were taken around 3:30 to 6:30pm, when the river was around 51' high. Based on what my brother said, the full time staff at Coney is expecting the river to reach around 58' sometime early next week. That is quite a significant flood for Coney. Virtually every building will have a couple of feet of water in it That is about six and a half feet shallower than the 1997 flood, when waters reached 64.7 feet (seen in one of the images above).

Its best that this is happening now than in a month from now. The image that shows the parking lot and Kellogg Avenue is the exact spot where the Cirque de Soleil will be held in just over a month!

I`ll have even more pictures from today later this evening. My brother just got home from Coney. And, the current forecast for the river is to crest sometime Monday afternoon at 56.5 feet. It is currently at 54.5 feet! And it could be up above 52 feet for a while. Right now, Lake Como is almost part of the Ohio River!

As promised, more photos have been uploaded to the photo gallery. Here is a link to the photo gallery: http://www.coneyislandcentral.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=53

Here are a few highlights.

flood_031011_13.jpg

Sunlite pool is definitely under water!

flood_031011_11.jpg

The white fence on the right outlines the deep end of Sunlite Pool. This picture was taken from atop the Pipeline Plunge water slide tower.

And one last image (there are fourteen new images from today in the photo gallery.

flood_031011_5.jpg

Looking towards Kellogg Avenue and the main parking entrance. Lake Como is at left, and Sunlite Pool is at right.

I have been watching that site like a hawk the last few days! Currently, the administration building at Coney is isolated from outside access. I`m not certain if it is under water yet, but Lake Como and Sunlite Pool are now part of the Ohio River. I know that at least part of Moonlite Gardens still had dry ground around it, at least from what I could tell on 275 on the way home from work this evening.

There is going to be a big clean up once the waters finally recede. The sooner the better too. We have a bunch of employees to hire and train for rides by the first weekend in May, and we haven`t even started to look at applications yet...

• 1 month later...

All I know is this has been one bad spring. Above average rainfall totals, a storm almost everyday this week...when will it end?!

Now, I know the saying 'April Showers, May flowers' but this is more like 'April storms, tornadoes, wind, rain, May...overgrown forest'!

My front lawn is growing like vines of the rainforest!

Heck, I was down at Coney until 1am this morning moving stuff from the pool area to higher ground or these ins floor if Moonlite Gardens. Fortunately the have taken a foot and a half off of the forecast, now expected to crest at 56.04 feet instead of the worse 57.5 feet they were saying last night.

This is the latest in the year that the Ohio has flooded in my tenure at Coney. But of course, this one of the wettest months in Cincinnati history! And depending on the rain we get tomorrow, it could be the wettest month ever. Thankfully, the river isn`t going to go as high as it did the last time Cincinnati had its wettest month on record!

Ovo has now been canceled for the rest of this week as well as for Sunday. They're expecting to resume next Tuesday, May 3rd.

http://www.facebook.com/OVOCirque

In order to prepare the return on stage of OVO, Cirque du Soleil announced today the cancellation of the performances from April 28 thru May 1, 2011 inclusively.

OVO will take the stage on Tuesday, May 3 until Sunday, May 15.

To all patrons: please contact our call center at 1-800-450-1480 regarding your tickets and to select a new performance date to attend.

We appreciate your understanding.