Something big announced 3-18-11?

Shaggy

Guest TombraiderTy

You can see Racer to the right of Don... for those too distracted with "Blair Witch looks" :P

That is 99.9999999999999999999% a Crane.

1. Please don't quote pictures. It's obnoxious.

2. No, that is Blue Racer's turn-around. Perhaps not the best comparison, but HERE is a shot of the other side of the same turn-around. Notice the similarities- white, angled supports, black track, white handrails, etc. Not to mention the location Don would be in is allegedly the same location as the rumored 2011 Teaser.

Edit- And just to add, I agree with dr_humor. Come Friday, I'm expecting a lot of disappointed KICentral members. The majority of the members posting in this topic are envisioning a massive B&M dive machine or a complete overhaul of Son of Beast or some other ridiculous and unrealistic addition. The park opens in less than fifty days, so a major new roller coaster for 2011 is out of the picture (Diamondback started construction in October 2007 and didn't open till April 2009). And if it was something for 2012, why would they announce it before the park even opens for 2011? That would discourage guests from visiting the park this year and hurt season pass and ticket sales. Instead, it'd be wise to wiat until post-season to make mention of any upcoming attractions.

I'm expecting a minor, probably more family-oriented attraction (not necessarily ride) within the Coney area. I'm also expecting a dinosaur theme or dinosaur tie-in of some sort. I'm already happy with WindSeeker, so anything else, no matter how small, is just the icing on the cake for me.

I could be wrong, but none of the clues or Don's video remotely make me think SOB.

Oh, I definitely thought "SOB." Repeatedly. Interpret that how you will.

You see Don on a video and you think SOB?

Terpy, running for the door (Sorry, Don, I just HAD to)

I definitely thought of SOB too since they used a Blair Witch Project theme on the orginal promo CD back in 1999....but still don't see them making a big deal about this coaster...or even attempting to bring it back to life again. Though I definitely wouldn't complain if they did....miss that loud chain lift and first drop! So, if they would remove the rose bowl and build something more exciting it could actually be a good coaster.

You can see Racer to the right of Don... for those too distracted with "Blair Witch looks" :P

That is 99.9999999999999999999% a Crane.

1. Please don't quote pictures. It's obnoxious.

2. No, that is Blue Racer's turn-around. Perhaps not the best comparison, but HERE is a shot of the other side of the same turn-around. Notice the similarities- white, angled supports, black track, white handrails, etc. Not to mention the location Don would be in is allegedly the same location as the rumored 2011 Teaser.

Edit- And just to add, I agree with dr_humor. Come Friday, I'm expecting a lot of disappointed KICentral members. The majority of the members posting in this topic are envisioning a massive B&M dive machine or a complete overhaul of Son of Beast or some other ridiculous and unrealistic addition. The park opens in less than fifty days, so a major new roller coaster for 2011 is out of the picture (Diamondback started construction in October 2007 and didn't open till April 2009). And if it was something for 2012, why would they announce it before the park even opens for 2011? That would discourage guests from visiting the park this year and hurt season pass and ticket sales. Instead, it'd be wise to wiat until post-season to make mention of any upcoming attractions.

I'm expecting a minor, probably more family-oriented attraction (not necessarily ride) within the Coney area. I'm also expecting a dinosaur theme or dinosaur tie-in of some sort. I'm already happy with WindSeeker, so anything else, no matter how small, is just the icing on the cake for me.

Sorry, I am new here.

While I agree that many on this forum are hyping it up and likely to get themselves disappointed on Friday - you can't say that KI isn't feeding this also. From the same park that made the announcement about the WindSeeker announcement a day ahead of time - this time they've posted teasing pictures, tweeted about planning, changed their main webpage banner (and update it almost daily), posted Facebook status updates, and are also producing videos to hype this announcement.

I'll also note, the hype is working (good job Don!) - this thread is at 37 pages and counting, there are currently 156 active users of KIC (54 members, 98 guests, 3 anonymous users, and 1 Terpy :P). Something tells me if you compare that to two weeks ago and you'll see a big difference.

One thing I hope KI does is release the full video without the sound effects after the announcement - I believe that some of what he said was just "stock" Kings Island speak (check 0:28 - 0:36). He very easily could be saying "...Kings Island has more than 70 rides and attractions in a spectacular outdoor setting ..." This might be nothing to do with the new ride and attraction.

Why do people think that this is something that is going to open in 2011? The words "2011 Teaser" mean only that the Teaser was made in 2011. If the construction pictures posted by Don are at all recent, whatever this is will not be open on April 30. They cannot clear the trees, remove the stumps, install drainage and electrical, cut swales and level/reshape the terrain to prevent erosion and standing water, put in pavement and landscaping and build anything in less than 7 weeks. I don't see anything opening in that area in 2011.

Guest TombraiderTy

Why do people think that this is something that is going to open in 2011? The words "2011 Teaser" mean only that the Teaser was made in 2011. If the construction pictures posted by Don are at all recent, whatever this is will not be open on April 30. They cannot clear the trees, remove the stumps, install drainage and electrical, cut swales and level/reshape the terrain to prevent erosion and standing water, put in pavement and landscaping and build anything in less than 7 weeks. I don't see anything opening in that area in 2011.

How long did it take to install Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular? Which, for the record, was far more than just stringing some lights up on trees. Foundations had to be poured for props, ground had to be dug for wiring, fencing had to be removed and more. The majority of which was done between the park's opening day and the attraction's opening day. If this teaser is for anything comparable in size or scope, a 2011 opening is definitely possible and plausible.

Edit- Also, keep in mind that whatever this 2011 Teaser may be, it does not necessarily need to open on April 30. It could open Memorial Day Weekend, for example. That adds another month of time to work and construct it.

i would just like to point out, even though i linked the promo video for Son of Beast that i do NOT see this being an overhaul of Son of Beast. i thought that it might have been a possibility when the thread was first started, but now i don't see it being such a great possibility.

don't get me wrong, i love Son of Beast and hope to see it up and running again, i just don't see this being it's "time."

I agree, I also see this as being an announcement for some big 2012 attraction for Kings Island's 40th. I do not think it has anything to do with Son of Beast.

All I really know is that I am extremely excited to find out! Kings Island has been doing a great job keeping this off-season entertaining, with the constant updating on what is going on inside the park, not only of the new ride, but also of Coney Mall's overhaul and winter rehab on the other rides. So kudos to Mr. Helbig and everyone at Kings Island for that!

As for what I hope it'll be, if it is in fact a new 2012 announcement, I'd love to see a giga coaster or a Maverick/Cheetah Hunt type of ride out in the woods making good use of the terrain. I know I'm kind of aiming high, but a person can dream right? :rolleyes: I know not to get my hopes up too high, but this anticipation is killing me!

Whatever it is, I know I'll be happy and can't wait for April 30th...

I doubt it would be a Rhino Rally type attraction with a river portion. (Raging River Safari)

I used to work at Rhino Rally, and while it was a fun ride.... It was down more than it was running.

Case in point..... A Cheetah now roams the former river of Rhino Rally.

In one year, there were 7 chain replacements.... There were only 5 chains on the ride.... In 7 years, Montu had 1 chain replacement.

Yeah something like a museum trial going through the Haunt Trail with its new walkway. So instead of using for just haunt it can be used during the regular season. Drop in some old past artifacts of Kings Island past and wha la, something new that brings back the past. .

How long did it take to install Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular? Which, for the record, was far more than just stringing some lights up on trees. Foundations had to be poured for props, ground had to be dug for wiring, fencing had to be removed and more. The majority of which was done between the park's opening day and the attraction's opening day. If this teaser is for anything comparable in size or scope, a 2011 opening is definitely possible and plausible.

Edit- Also, keep in mind that whatever this 2011 Teaser may be, it does not necessarily need to open on April 30. It could open Memorial Day Weekend, for example. That adds another month of time to work and construct it.

Snoopys Starlight Spectacualar did not require any land clearing, the installation of storm drains, any excavation work, or any of the other things that will need to be done before anything at all can be built in the area behind The Racer. Trust me, if you just cut down a few trees and build something without doing that work, the first time there's a thunderstorm, whatever you built will be washed away or standing in about 6 inches of water.

--Beatle, who did similar work for several summers during high school and college .

Snoopys Starlight Spectacualar did not require any land clearing, the installation of storm drains, any excavation work, or any of the other things that will need to be done before anything at all can be built in the area behind The Racer. Trust me, if you just cut down a few trees and build something without doing that work, the first time there's a thunderstorm, whatever you built will be washed away or standing in about 6 inches of water.

--Beatle, who did similar work for several summers during high school and college .

not to mention that it seems that The Racers supports will have to be modded to get to the new attraction

I think it has to be something for 2011 simply because of business. Why in the world would you already be promoting your 2012 season BEFORE 2011 has even started? Especially when you have a new ride!

@upstop- That made me laugh! :D

Guest TombraiderTy

Work is obviously ongoing now. Assuming a May 30 opening, that still gives the park roughly ten weeks. And who's to say how much work has already been completed.

not to mention that it seems that The Racers supports will have to be modded to get to the new attraction

Knott's Berry Farm had to move one of Silver Bullet's massive steel supports for their WindSeeker's construction. I'm not an engineer, but I doubt moving a few of Racer's wooden supports would be a massive undertaking.

Work is obviously ongoing now. Assuming a May 30 opening, that still gives the park roughly ten weeks. And who's to say how much work has already been completed.

Knott's Berry Farm had to move one of Silver Bullet's massive steel supports for their WindSeeker's construction. I'm not an engineer, but I doubt moving a few of Racer's wooden supports would be a massive undertaking.

Just out of curiosity, when you did this kind of work how long did it take your company to clear trees, install storm drains and do the excavation work required to prevent flooding and erosion? .

true but that would take up some valuable time if it is to open in 2011, also it has to be done before the park opens or The Racer will have to be shut down during the season