Something big announced 3-18-11?

Shaggy

^Doubtful.

I was watching Today on WLWT. During a commercial, WLWT had one of their advertisement and it said "Largest of its kind. Kings Island announces a new ride". I wonder if the news outlets have been told it is a new ride to be announced, or WLWT just assumed that

I want to point out something that has been referenced before but add my 2 cents. Having a trail of some kind themed with dinos etc. I like that idea simply because it could allow hundreds of people to do something else while reducing the lines for other rides. The key to this for me is that KI can have a new area that is somewhat self supporting, less staff to handle lots of people. Just a thought.

Yes I agree with Goodyellowkorn182, I believe that it will be a big attraction. Most likely a roller coaster, themed to Jurassic type of story. Very big!! As we see now it is big, but its getting bigger!

The new pix shows a big ol dinosour! Looks like it will stay their for a bit! 0

I think Goodyellowkorn182 made some excellent points in his post. For people thinking this is a roller coaster or something for a different season, the time to change your thinking has come. I like roller coasters as much as the next guy, but the writing is on the wall folks.

It would be kickass if this whole thing was either:

A. "Safari Land" - Bringing back the classic safari but with the world's longest safari train (guessing that the red line is a train outline)?

or

B. Don is being a funny man & is just quite possibly throwing us completely off, due to a much bigger project for the next season?

You're totally right. I bet that this gigantic tyrannosaurus rex and dinosaur-themed marketing campaign has been nothing more than an attempt to distract us what might be coming next year...

Don may be a funny man, but he doesn't get to spend copious amounts of money on large robotic reptiles just to throw off the enthusiast community. Hahha.

(Not aiming this at you, Firehawkboy) As Shaggy said in post number 3, it really probably is as simple as a dinosaur walkthrough. Those who have hyped themselves up to thinking this is a brand new B&M coaster, or a Son of Beast re-do really have no one to blame but themselves, and need to start coming to terms with the fact that this is in addition to WindSeeker and not the other way around - as such, would you expect this dinosaur project (whatever it is) to pass WindSeeker in terms of scale? It comes across as a last-minute, fun, family-aimed addition, and maybe that's all that it is. Maybe there is no ulterior motive or attempt to blindside us with the "real" project.

Let's be happy with it, whatever it is!

You're right. I apologize. He'd never pull ANY stunt like that to absolutely throw us off. You must know Don Helibig more than I do. I just wont give my thoughts out anymore.

GoodYellowKorn wasn't saying you can't give an opinion, but he made some excellent points. Despite all the clues given, many seem to have a good idea of what this is. People STILL are in denial.

I would be kind of mad if it is a dinosaur walk - through. They hyped this way to much for it to be that. I am actually considering a phycoaster to that of Alton Towers.

I would disagree with this statement--Kings Island hasn't really gone out of their way to overtly hype this--in fact, I would say that most outside of KIC / Screamscape / other forums don't even have a clue an announcement is forthcoming. Those of us that are reading/participating in the forum have our own ideas formulated out of our own desires...

Sure, I'd prefer a coaster, but I will take any improvement, especially given the economic climate.

• To everyone - remember, you were likely new, young, and/or inexperienced on this site at one time in your life. If I remember correctly, I got a PM from Robbie after my first post to give me some advice (or scold me for something :D) - maybe we could all find a helpful way to encourage positive participation from some of the newer members versus ripping them for every mistake they make.

This seems like a response to my Facebook post last night! :lol: Yes, hopefully I'll be more patient with them today.

^Doubtful.

I was watching Today on WLWT. During a commercial, WLWT had one of their advertisement and it said "Largest of its kind. Kings Island announces a new ride". I wonder if the news outlets have been told it is a new ride to be announced, or WLWT just assumed that

I'm betting they just assumed that. There have been plenty of times where people, media outlets included, hear the word "attraction" and immediately think "ride". Heck, just look at a lot of the posts in this topic. I'm not saying it isn't a ride, just that there's just a strong possibility that it may not be.

The problem with trails are that they are only neat once! maybe twice.

This is why the animal safari did not last!

There are several reasons why WAH didn't last, but if that reason was even anywhere on the list, it was far down on it!

Reason #31,811 to not believe everything you read on Screamscape:

I'm told that later on in the day the Dino was set up next to the main gate area, which should have something to do with whatever special announcement is coming up.

Mr. T Rex is nowhere near the main gate area. It's right next to the South Tolls plaza. The main gate area is widely considered to be the metal detector/turnstile area, not Tolls.

I'm still not convinced that this is a walk-thru attraction. The layout seems weird for a path, or even a ride for that matter, and it seems REALLY long. That would definitely be longer than Trail of Terror, and ToT isn't exactly short!

I concur with this--I did the 10K this past year and from what I remember, the area around what is seen on the map was significant. My guess is that the red outline is at least a mile or better, and I would doubt they expect many people--particularly families with children--to walk that distance in the heat we sometimes experience here in summer. Perhaps they will re-use the trams that used to take people to their cars to pull guests through the area, but i think walking the complete distance is unlikely (unless they were to add a group of rides as stops along the way, which is unlikely to be completed before the beginning of this season as has been suggested).

I see what your saying... Kinda like Kinzel talking about next years attraction targeting thrill seekers before Shoot the Rapids opened. But, how is it bad if they are doing so much cool stuff there's overlap.

Dude 1: "Hey man, wanna go to KI? They have a new ride, a new dino thingy and they made CM beautiful."

Dude: "No, sorry. I was hyped when they announced WindSeeker but now they're talking about Dinos." :lol:

I've got it!

They are going to buy the Monorail that Jungle Jim's has sitting unused in their parking lot! (I'm not putting a smiley emoticon here. If you don't get the joke, just keep reading!)

Just to clarify, the monorail at Jungle Jims is actually in use now. It doesn't run on a daily basis, but they do use it for special events.

If that was your joke and I didn't get it, I apologize.

I'm still not convinced that this is a walk-thru attraction. The layout seems weird for a path, or even a ride for that matter, and it seems REALLY long. That would definitely be longer than Trail of Terror, and ToT isn't exactly short!

I concur with this--I did the 10K this past year and from what I remember, the area around what is seen on the map was significant. My guess is that the red outline is at least a mile or better, and I would doubt they expect many people--particularly families with children--to walk that distance in the heat we sometimes experience here in summer. Perhaps they will re-use the trams that used to take people to their cars to pull guests through the area, but i think walking the complete distance is unlikely (unless they were to add a group of rides as stops along the way, which is unlikely to be completed before the beginning of this season as has been suggested).

With gas prices the way they are, I highly doubt they would install anything that required the use of gasoline. :)

No matter what this addition to the park may be, it gives my family something else to look forward to when we make our yearly trip to Cincy and Kings Island come June. I learned my lesson last year, when we went in May. And that lesson is - DO NOT GO TO Kings Island ON MATH AND SCIENCE DAY!!!!!!!!;)

With gas prices the way they are, I highly doubt they would install anything that required the use of gasoline. :)

No [ahem] fossil fuels, eh?

The only thing I question is why are they doing all this promoting when they have a new ride opening? Promoting all this is taking the attention off of the NEW ride they're opening. Soo idk how to feel about it.

I just feel like if you mentioned "the new thing at Kings Island" to any locals, they'd say "Oh the swing ride?" if they knew anything at all... Recall that it is us, the enthusiast community, who is so feverishly following these developments. Granted, after the actual announcement (and depending on what the attraction ends up being) it may be a battle for attention. But right now, I don't know that too many of the "general public" know or care what's coming... Maybe I'm wrong. That's just what I imagine.

I think that the marketing standpoint on this sees WindSeeker as a "thrill" ride marketing to teens, and (again, pending announcement) this dinosaur thing as a family attraction that everyone can do together. I'm not sure if that's really the way things will be in practice, though. Both seem family-friendly to me. And that's a good thing.

^I think it would be illegal to hunt dinosaurs since they are pretty much an endangered species! ;)

Unless you meant Haunt, which then I would have to agree with you that yes, that could be a good theme for a Haunt attraction.

EDIT: Smurfy beat me to it!

Yes i did mean "haunt" Sorry about that.

The only thing I question is why are they doing all this promoting when they have a new ride opening? Promoting all this is taking the attention off of the NEW ride they're opening. Soo idk how to feel about it.

I just feel like if you mentioned "the new thing at Kings Island" to any locals, they'd say "Oh the swing ride?" if they knew anything at all... Recall that it is us, the enthusiast community, who is so feverishly following these developments. Granted, after the actual announcement (and depending on what the attraction ends up being) it may be a battle for attention. But right now, I don't know that too many of the "general public" know or care what's coming... Maybe I'm wrong. That's just what I imagine.

I think that the marketing standpoint on this sees WindSeeker as a "thrill" ride marketing to teens, and (again, pending announcement) this dinosaur thing as a family attraction that everyone can do together. I'm not sure if that's really the way things will be in practice, though. Both seem family-friendly to me. And that's a good thing.

True.... But I'm pretty sure locals seeing a giant dinosaur in the front of the park will take a lot of attention off the "swing ride" lol.

True.... But I'm pretty sure locals seeing a giant dinosaur in the front of the park will take a lot of attention off the "swing ride" lol.

I see what your saying... Kinda like Kinzel talking about next years attraction targeting thrill seekers before Shoot the Rapids opened. But, how is it bad if they are doing so much cool stuff there's overlap.

Dude 1: "Hey man, wanna go to KI? They have a new ride, a new dino thingy and they made CM beautiful."

Dude: "No, sorry. I was hyped when they announced WindSeeker but now they're talking about Dinos." :lol:

What I think is most important is that people know about both. You don't have to be bludgeoned over the head with WindSeeker propoganda to know it exists. Those who want to ride it know that it's there. Just because the marketing doesn't focus soley and completely on one ride doesn't mean it isn't getting out there. Notice that every article about the mystery attraction notes that it is in addition to WindSeeker, a 301' tall swing ride that travels 30 mph... etc. etc.

Word is out there that WindSeeker is new, and I'm sure that the website will again highlight it once traffic starts arriving in response to tomorrow's announcement.

GYK is right. It's a synergy of advertising. They can plug both at once and it's an awesome draw to the park.

My wife's reaction sums it up.

"What I thought they were getting a thrill ride."

Me: "they are, they're just doing this too."

Wife "Wow. That's neat."

Conclusion: Our first trip of the year is now KI, instead of Holiday World. Those who know me know how much I love Holiday World, especially with my family.

What I think is most important is that people know about both. You don't have to be bludgeoned over the head with WindSeeker propoganda to know it exists. Those who want to ride it know that it's there. Just because the marketing doesn't focus soley and completely on one ride doesn't mean it isn't getting out there. Notice that every article about the mystery attraction notes that it is in addition to WindSeeker, a 301' tall swing ride that travels 30 mph... etc. etc.

Word is out there that WindSeeker is new, and I'm sure that the website will again highlight it once traffic starts arriving in response to tomorrow's announcement.

Well could this be a distraction/addtion to WindSeeker for those who are there waiting for others in line.

Some will ride WindSeeker and some will not so give them an alternative in that area.

Or do we see worse that this is a distraction (like reverse racers when Bat had issues)?

Would love to see something like old fashioned cars/dinosaur vehicles back again.