Something big announced 3-18-11?

Shaggy

^ Wasn't it? A gigantic walk-through environment full of animatronic dinosaurs?

Have you been to a zoo with such an exhibit? It's nearly existential that American children go through a period in which they are obsessed with dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are great entertainment for kids, and I feel that people will really enjoy strolling around this massive, immersive area. Perhaps stereotypical teenagers won't be interested - guess what? Everything at the park isn't meant to interest teenagers.

Besides, if you owned an amusement park (which, to my knowledge, you do not), you would doubtlessly hype anything you could. A new kids ride? Talk about it. A log ride? Make it sound like the best. Marketing is so essential to this business, and this is an exciting, well-rounded addition to the park that caters to a wide, wide array of visitors.

Would you prefer that they never announce it, but just have the park open with it? Or perhaps they should've left any fun or interest level out of it and simply said one day, out of the blue, "Oh, and we're getting the world's largest dinosaur exhibit. No big deal. Don't get too excited, and definitely don't buy season passes for it."

Sigh.

GYK, thinking that, like every addition to the park that has ever been made, people will grow to like it and never return to apologize for complaining about it before they even saw it.

Just so you guys know, A Cincinnati news station gave away the details of this new thing.

It will be a new dinosaur walk through, the largest of its kind

I never listen to the News Media about parks. Only listen to what is officialy announced by the park.

Have you been to a zoo with such an exhibit? It's nearly existential that American children go through a period in which they are obsessed with dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are great entertainment for kids, and I feel that people will really enjoy strolling around this massive, immersive area. Perhaps stereotypical teenagers won't be interested - guess what? Everything at the park isn't meant to interest teenagers.

Besides, if you owned an amusement park (which, to my knowledge, you do not), you would doubtlessly hype anything you could. A new kids ride? Talk about it. A log ride? Make it sound like the best. Marketing is so essential to this business, and this is an exciting, well-rounded addition to the park that caters to a wide, wide array of visitors.

Would you prefer that they never announce it, but just have the park open with it? Or perhaps they should've left any fun or interest level out of it and simply said one day, out of the blue, "Oh, and we're getting the world's largest dinosaur exhibit. No big deal. Don't get too excited, and definitely don't buy season passes for it."

Sigh.

GYK, thinking that, like every addition to the park that has ever been made, people will grow to like it and never return to apologize for complaining about it before they even saw it.

Ok, dude, Geese! Just calm down. I never said I was REALLY Mad or dissapointed, I just think that all that hyping wasn't necessary. I mean, they should have hyped it, but not as much as they did.

I still do not believe this is a walk through, as the most recently 'released' concept art just doesn't match what a well designed pathway should look like... Bottlenecks, shortcuts, constant curving... And long; very long.

The same concept, a vehicle transport would work out just fine... Or a water- based attraction...

Now, I'm not saying what it will or will not be, but I'd quite reasonably suspect either that concept was not near final, or we're missing something.

Ye

Sigh.

Ok, dude, Geese! Just calm down. I never said I was REALLY Mad or dissapointed, I just think that all that hyping wasn't necessary. I mean, they should have hyped it, but not as much as they did.

You just did say you were disappointed.

They had a banner on the website, and a fun video with Don (the marketing director) which bleeped out the stats, a picture of a goose, and some pictures of mud.

Did the public go crazy? No. Did uninformed masses who now regret their actions rush out and buy Platinum Passes? Nope.

The only thing that happened is that people here started deciding that this was a new roller coaster (that would miraculously be constructed from scratch, tested, and opened in 45 days), a Son of Beast re-do (which, again, would take place with about 20 days worth of construction time) or a 400-foot roller coaster.

I wasn't aiming that comment directly at you, but more at all of the people here (both new and old) who are / will be upset with the park for "making this something it's not." Go to the teaser page right this second and show me even one single place where the idea of a Son of Beast re-do or a 400 foot coaster was hinted at. It isn't there. Our imaginations ran wild. We raised our expectations. We let the viral marketing get to us, and (lead by new and old members,) began to envision things that, frankly, are impossible at best.

Now we are getting a brand-new, worlds-largest, dinosaur walk-through that will be absolutely awesome for families, kids, grandparents, and teenagers like me who can appreciate details.

You can be sad that we're not getting a 400 foot coaster. But you can't blame the park for ever believing we might.

P.S. It was only one goose.

Ye

Sigh.

You just did say you were disappointed.

Yeah, but not VERY dissapointed. I am not trying to start a fight.

Sigh.

Well said; very well said!

Personally, I am one of the few who believe Kings Island has too many thrill rides and should gradually replace these with a variety of family attractions meant for the whole family to enjoy, but I digress...

It's just irritating that people are going to go on and on and post negative comments on Facebook and news articles about how dumb this is. As I said, this is in addition to WindSeeker, not the other way around. WindSeeker is a sizable investment. I'm sure whatever the dinosaur attraction is will be a large investment too, but would you expect it to pass WindSeeker in terms of scale since it is the compliment and not the reverse?

The way some people act, it's as though they'd rather have nothing than have something they don't personally like. What a skewed and unfortunate mindset.

If you don't like it, don't go. But I know you will go. And you'll like it. They always do.

EPIC FAIL!

Sigh. Unless I'm misinterpreting this post as being in reply to something that it's not, this is a perfect example.

Uninformed, pre-judgement is going to be the end of us.

Some of you say that this potential "walk-through" is overhyped, but you'd be more than happy to welcome it if it had little gasoline-powered cars driving through it at 3 miles per hour? What logic is that?

And again: sigh.

P.S. Thank you so much to the "n00bs" who are taking the time to use correct grammar, spelling, usage, etc. and writing posts that are informative, helpful, useful, and well-conceived. I know that it's a "best of both worlds" scenario, but I think we can do it if we pull together! We don't have to have the same opinion, but let's push to express our thoughts usefully and have civilized, thought-out discussions, not... well... this.

I'm still holding out for a Dino-themed movie in Action Theater, though. :P

I would, however, liked to have seen said Dino walk-through go in Tower Gardens, even though that's not a particularly large chunk of land (especially when considering the "largest of its kind" hype the park is giving it). But it has copious amounts of foliage and even three waterfalls that can be utilized to create a neat Prehistoric walk-through for the whole family. Maybe even use the big waterfall as a makeshift volcano.

But I digress. Won't happen as apparently it's going in behind Racer. :(

I would love it if ours ended up like the Calgary one I posted photos of earlier (which is likely from the same company that might be doing our) which did have waterfalls, fake rock work, rivers, etc. Perhaps the place where the path appears to narrow on the "planning" map might be a bridge or something. Although you'd think that sort of construction would've started earlier on...

I think that the worst thing that could happen to ours is that it's just some dinosaur animatronics scattered around in the woods, or if all the trees get cut down so it's just dinosaurs in a field. That's not very accurate to their natural habitat, is it?

But yeah, I'm holding out for Dino Island in the Action Theater. Why not? Spongebob is so old, and I-Werks could install Dino Island in a day. Just scatter a few props around and re-configure the queue to come from the dino side of The Racer instead of The Vortex side and voila! A brand new area with two attractions! It seems like a worthwhile use of the ride that would otherwise play the same old movie (or nothing at all) for the 2011 season.

I'll be happy with whatever it is we end up getting. One week ago (OK, well, nine days ago) we had no clue that something else was planned, so I'm just glad they're doing something else in addition to WindSeeker.

That being said, I reserve the right to hope that it's some sort of roller coaster that has secretly been under construction since November or an announcement of SoB's reopening. I know that all the evidence says that it's not, but hey, I can dream, right? ;)

I'm thinking that maybe the area they're putting this into could be used as a multipurpose area. Say the dinosaurs leave at the end of the year. Next year they can pull in another attraction, maybe something to do with space exploration or American history or even the history of the park as a salute to the 40th anniversary. This could be an exciting opportunity for the park to create a variety of intellectually stimulating attractions for guests young and old. I think I'll rank this as the 2nd thing I do the first time I make it to the park this year, right after checking it out from atop WindSeeker.

Did anyone stop and think that the Dino walk through may just be the first phase of a new area in the park. They could connect Coney south to X base and over the next few years add more Dino themed attractions, shops and eateries. Instead of rushing to judgment, be it negative or positive ... why not stop and think of new possibilities. I know that I personally get bored with the same ole same ole, even though I love certain rides ... they get old over time. Variety is the spice of life :lol:

Whatever it is, I'm happy to get it. One more attraction means less people clogging up lines to other rides. Think positive! Besides, if it is a dino walk-through, I think it will be neat. When I was in Jr. High, we traveled to Ashland Mall to check out a dino exhibit. I was fascinated by everything presented to us. Replicas, fossils, dino-poo. We had a passport that was stamped for each exhibit. 20 years later *cough*, I still have the passport. Things of that nature aren't for everyone, but I do enjoy a nice stroll now and then. Yes, I loves me some coasters...but sometimes it is nice to just people watch and chill. Leisure time in a park is just as therapeutic for me as riding. I'm in my favorite place, doing awesome things and escaping reality for a few hours.

just a thought but in the second teaser video, why is he looking up at something in a giant arch? if it was the trex then he would've looked at it from top to bottom and his eyes never went down toward the ground until he ran off. either way he could've been imaging another dino statue or something that has a giant HILL in it. just a thought :)

Because he wasn't really looking at anything. It was a fake video. There was nothing there. It was just a joke that the marketing director made as a fun piece of viral marketing. And my God, if that post doesn't make him laugh at just out insanely out there we as a community are, I don't know what could...

At this point, the claim is that the way in which his eyes travel during a spoof video is a subliminal hint.

IT'S DINOSAURS, PEOPLE. We don't know what kind of ride / attraction / show / experience it will be, but it's happening in the woods behind The Racer east of X-Base. It is not Son of Beast. It is not a new roller coaster. It is not a 400 foot roller coaster. The most obvious answer is that it is a dinosaur walk-through exhibit, which would be awesome, and a great, great addition to the park's lineup of attractions. Maybe it really is as simple as it sounds! Maybe it's just a fun, family-friendly attraction that you can walk through at your own leisure. And would that be so bad?!

if you read my post then you would have seen the words, "he could've been IMAGINING another dino statue or something with a hill. i know there's nothing there. IMAGINING.

Guest TombraiderTy

[image]

Found this on their web site.

look at the blue print.

Coaster Maybe????

Do yourself and everyone else a favor by actually reading before you post. That picture (as LongliveKingsCobra said) was posted several days ago. Also, had you read, you'd realize that most everybody has decided that this addition will not be a roller coaster.