Something big announced 3-18-11?

Shaggy

Hopefully the fact that it's $5 will keep Cedar Fair on top of the theming and any mechanical problems. I can't imagine the backlash if a bunch of folks pay their money and only half of the dinos are working or are covered in bubblegum.

You do bring up a point I was wondering. If that money goes directly into maintaining this, it makes the $5.00 reasonable. But if these start to break, and it isn't fixed, it won't sit well with the people who pay the fee.

I'm really surprised they simply didn't raise ticket prices by a dollar or two to pay for it. I'm just pulling numbers out of no where, but if 1 in 5 people paid the up charge, this attraction would generate the same amount of money as the $5.00 fee. Maybe a $2.00 increase would be more reasonable (1 out of every 2.5 people.) I'm not sure how you would deal with season pass holders.

In a year or two though, I could see this become a Gold Pass benefit.

I did have an idea to balance things out a bit. What if they made this part of the morning ERT and had it free for GP/PP holders. Then they could do an up-charge the rest of the day. Still not happy about the up-charge. :(

I understand the up-charges on the skycoaster and slingshot since they are low capacity rides. This on the other hand can handle huge amounts of people. The only reasoning I can see for it being an up-charge is if Dinosaurs Unearthed has some kind of deal with KI that the park isn't paying for the exhibit but collects the up-charge.

I'm pretty ok with the dino thing I'm even a little ok with the fee. Even though you get a whole water park for no extra fee. I would rather them add $3.00 to every ticket which would likely earn more than the extra 5 now. My problem is if this is a permanent upcharge, there's now X base with little way to connect with Coney on that end. Like this whole possibility just got crushed. That is unless this area is a means of a bigger solution, either way I'll make my way through it at least once and might even enjoy myself.

They will connect X Base with Action Zone, after the remove SOB.

Another thought... Since DA is being billed as a permanent attraction, what is the future of Trail of Terror now? That's always been one of my favorite haunts. Hopefully they'll be able to move it somewhere else. I'll be sad to see it go if they don't end up moving it. Haunt attractions do need to be changed up to keep them fresh IMO, so all good things must come to an end eventually. :(

Guest TombraiderTy

Why do people think that this is something that is going to open in 2011? The words "2011 Teaser" mean only that the Teaser was made in 2011. If the construction pictures posted by Don are at all recent, whatever this is will not be open on April 30. They cannot clear the trees, remove the stumps, install drainage and electrical, cut swales and level/reshape the terrain to prevent erosion and standing water, put in pavement and landscaping and build anything in less than 7 weeks. I don't see anything opening in that area in 2011.

How long did it take to install Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular? Which, for the record, was far more than just stringing some lights up on trees. Foundations had to be poured for props, ground had to be dug for wiring, fencing had to be removed and more. The majority of which was done between the park's opening day and the attraction's opening day. If this teaser is for anything comparable in size or scope, a 2011 opening is definitely possible and plausible.

Edit- Also, keep in mind that whatever this 2011 Teaser may be, it does not necessarily need to open on April 30. It could open Memorial Day Weekend, for example. That adds another month of time to work and construct it.

Snoopys Starlight Spectacualar did not require any land clearing, the installation of storm drains, any excavation work, or any of the other things that will need to be done before anything at all can be built in the area behind The Racer. Trust me, if you just cut down a few trees and build something without doing that work, the first time there's a thunderstorm, whatever you built will be washed away or standing in about 6 inches of water.

--Beatle, who did similar work for several summers during high school and college .

So, not going to open for 2011, eh? I mean, there's no way that they could complete all excavation and prep work for this to be for 2011... It has to be for 2012. Thanks for reminding me why I consider half your posts complete jokes :)

I did have an idea to balance things out a bit. What if they made this part of the morning ERT and had it free for GP/PP holders. Then they could do an up-charge the rest of the day. Still not happy about the up-charge. :(

I understand the up-charges on the skycoaster and slingshot since they are low capacity rides. This on the other hand can handle huge amounts of people. The only reasoning I can see for it being an up-charge is if Dinosaurs Unearthed has some kind of deal with KI that the park isn't paying for the exhibit but collects the up-charge.

Your probably right about a deal with Dinosaurs Unearthed. So who will be in charge of the upkeep, and will it even be permenant when they see not many people will want to pay 5 bucks repeatedly to walk through this.

Don't get you hopes up for ERT, but good luck anyway.

I'm really surprised they simply didn't raise ticket prices by a dollar or two to pay for it. I'm just pulling numbers out of no where, but if 1 in 5 people paid the up charge, this attraction would generate the same amount of money as the $5.00 fee. Maybe a $2.00 increase would be more reasonable (1 out of every 2.5 people.) I'm not sure how you would deal with season pass holders.

Since that wouldn't account for the season passholders, I couldn't see them doing that. It's not that much, either. I'd be mad if it were $10, but looking at it now, $5 isn't really that bad.

I'm off to FB to read all the whining and crying. Can't wait to see RaptorGuy make his posts as well.

I don't see what his complaint would be...

It's not an upcharge for a ride, which is all he seems to care about.

Unless he just wants to complain about anything and everything, including the attractions he does not care to visit.

RaptorGuy has filed his complaint in the poll thread: http://www.KICentral...32

At least it can be argued that it actually belongs there, since the idea of a poll is to gather opinions.

Back on topic, I'm not overly thrilled about the upcharge, but I will certainly pay it at least once to experience the attraction. Whether I pay for it again on future visits depends on whether I enjoy it the first time.

Wow. They lead all this hype up to a pay attraction. Why would I pay $5.00 to go see moving dinosaurs? I was excited to just be able to check it out and go through it on a casual day at the park. But I guess not.

And who said you guys were hyping this up to much again? Oh yeah...

Why do people think that this is something that is going to open in 2011? The words "2011 Teaser" mean only that the Teaser was made in 2011. If the construction pictures posted by Don are at all recent, whatever this is will not be open on April 30. They cannot clear the trees, remove the stumps, install drainage and electrical, cut swales and level/reshape the terrain to prevent erosion and standing water, put in pavement and landscaping and build anything in less than 7 weeks. I don't see anything opening in that area in 2011.

How long did it take to install Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular? Which, for the record, was far more than just stringing some lights up on trees. Foundations had to be poured for props, ground had to be dug for wiring, fencing had to be removed and more. The majority of which was done between the park's opening day and the attraction's opening day. If this teaser is for anything comparable in size or scope, a 2011 opening is definitely possible and plausible.

Edit- Also, keep in mind that whatever this 2011 Teaser may be, it does not necessarily need to open on April 30. It could open Memorial Day Weekend, for example. That adds another month of time to work and construct it.

Snoopys Starlight Spectacualar did not require any land clearing, the installation of storm drains, any excavation work, or any of the other things that will need to be done before anything at all can be built in the area behind The Racer. Trust me, if you just cut down a few trees and build something without doing that work, the first time there's a thunderstorm, whatever you built will be washed away or standing in about 6 inches of water.

--Beatle, who did similar work for several summers during high school and college .

So, not going to open for 2011, eh? I mean, there's no way that they could complete all excavation and prep work for this to be for 2011... It has to be for 2012. Thanks for reminding me why I consider half your posts complete jokes :)

I stand corrected. They didn't have to do much construction work, apparently.....

Since that wouldn't account for the season passholders, I couldn't see them doing that. It's not that much, either. I'd be mad if it were $10, but looking at it now, $5 isn't really that bad.

My thought on the issue is, they could easily have added 3-5 dollars to every admission ticket, whether you are thrilled about seeing Dino's are not. This way, if you want to see the Dino's, you pay 5 dollars, you hopefully enjoy it, and then you don't have to worry about paying the 5 dollars again.

Guest TombraiderTy

I stand corrected. They didn't have to do much construction work, apparently.....

Didn't have to do much construction work? Yes, because lying a pathway nearly a mile long, placing 60+ dinosaurs (including 56 animatronics), wiring the animatronics, possibly installing and wiring lighting and speakers too, building fences and signage, installing a kids' paleontological dig site and an excavation site replica, and constructing (or refurbishing a pre-existing building) into a 1,500 square-foot gift shop. Yep, that's not much construction work at all.

Guest TombraiderTy

^I was wondering the same thing. The only nearby building (assuming this is the X-Base woods) that would be possible would be the former food stand near EuroBobbles, which would probably require quite an overhaul to work as a gift shop.

To be honest, I don't think that $5 is a lot to get upset over. Some of you are not old enough to recall the Wild Animal Safari ride which cost around $2 to ride the last year it was in operation. Considering inflation, since the early 1990's, I would have expected KI to charge around $10 for this WORLD CLASS attraction. Sorry, but this is a pretty common occurance for an amusement park - we should all know this by now. I was there the first year that Xtreme Skyflyer opened and people went nuts when they learned that it would cost $20 per person (money most threw down without batting an eye)...and that was in the mid 90's. Just my 2 cents.

I must be the only one thinking this could lead to a pretty sweet dino-themed 4,000 ft long Haunt attraction....

Anyways, my kids are excited about the new addition. Not thrilled about the amount of walking that will be required, but I'm sure we knock out that size of a walk many times over when we visit. Being in a wooded area, it will be a nice shady spot as well. As for paying $5, we will. If my kids enjoy it, it will be worth every penny.

I think this is gonna be pretty sweet!! I'm really excited to see what this whole thing has to offer!

Now, why is everyone freakin' complaining about the $5 upcharge?! Nobody is forcing you to go in it. If you can't spare the money, don't go through it. And if you have kids that want to go through it, like someone else said, use it as a reward system for doing chores/getting good grades,etc. I can't believe the people that say they should add $3 to the price of every ticket!! What kind of logic is that? Why charge everyone for it if some people don't even want to experience the attraction. What if they just decided to add $5 to the price of parking to cover this. Then everyone would whine about that. Why is it that Xtreme Skyfler and Slingshot are "deals" when they're at $5 instead of $20 but $5 is too much to go through a 4,000 foot long dinosaur animatronics attraction?

Seriously, if you don't want to go through it, don't. If you can't afford it, nobody is forcing you to pay for it. You're still gonna have all the same rides and attractions(possibly, unless they get rid of ToT) as last year, and it's not something the park is FORCING you to participate in. Everybody complains and whines all the time how CF sucks at theming and we need more family attractions. Well here ya go, you got it. I for one am excited and can't wait to check it out! I've never been through anything like this before!

The only reason why I am mad at this $5 thing is the fact that it was unexpected. I wouldn't have thought they would make a pay attraction, unless it was an amazing experience (like Xtreme Skyflyer).

How do you know if it's an amazing attraction or not? You haven't been through it.

The only reason why I am mad at this $5 thing is the fact that it was unexpected. I wouldn't have thought they would make a pay attraction, unless it was an amazing experience (like Xtreme Skyflyer).

How do you know if it's an amazing attraction or not? You haven't been through it.

I meant thrilling actually.

Guys, I don't want to be called a hypocrite (which I was called earlier) but it's not the actual $5 that bothers me. It's the fact that they made such a big deal out of it. I didn't think it would be a ride; no, I did not. Based on your guys' opinions and inferring, I had a gut feeling it wouldn't be. I just don't get why this would cost money.

I just don't.

I meant thrilling actually.

Guys, I don't want to be called a hypocrite (which I was called earlier) but it's not the actual $5 that bothers me. It's the fact that they made such a big deal out of it. I didn't think it would be a ride; no, I did not. Based on your guys' opinions and inferring, I had a gut feeling it wouldn't be. I just don't get why this would cost money.

I just don't.

Again, how do you know if this is a thrilling attraction if you've never been through it? Why wouldn't you think they would charge for this? I'm guessing it's to keep up with the maintenance costs. If they didn't charge for it, there would be a bunch of unattended kids and idiots running through there, bouncing basketballs, etc. Maybe the upcharge will keep the riff raff out. And....if they didn't charge for it, and didn't keep up with the maintenance and let the theming go to crap, then everyone would complain about that too.

And who exactly made a big deal about it? The job of the PR dept at any amusement park is not to say....wow this might get people's hopes up thinking this is a 300 foot tall coaster or sob rehab or some other THRILLING attraction....well guys...let's just not even bother advertising for it, because the facebookers might be disappointed. No, their job is to get the word out there on any new attractions to draw people into the park and make money. And so what...they put some teaser vids on the page, posted some pictures, let us speculate for a WEEK. Do you know how long the DB speculation went on? Almost 2 years. How is a week of making us guess OVER-HYPING something? If anything it gave all of us something fun to do for a week to pass the time in the off season.

Didn't have to do much construction work? Yes, because lying a pathway nearly a mile long, placing 60+ dinosaurs (including 56 animatronics), wiring the animatronics, possibly installing and wiring lighting and speakers too, building fences and signage, installing a kids' paleontological dig site and an excavation site replica, and constructing (or refurbishing a pre-existing building) into a 1,500 square-foot gift shop. Yep, that's not much construction work at all.

Relatively speaking, it really isn't.

^I was wondering the same thing. The only nearby building (assuming this is the X-Base woods) that would be possible would be the former food stand near EuroBobbles, which would probably require quite an overhaul to work as a gift shop.

I believe they still use that building for various things.

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun! I understand the upcharge although think it will limit my number of visits (and will likely cause me to spend less money on other stuff days we do visit).

Just think KI again missed an opportunity to leverage their season pass base - why not have a discount for passholders?