Voyage to use 7-car PTC trains in 2011

I really don't care if the Timberliners never come. Voyage is rougher than I like but I'll still ride it 10 times in a row... well, maybe 8.

Based off my experiences there, Holiday World can only get better. My trips have been so thoroughly enjoyable that HW gets a fanboy pass, from me, on any bad feelings about the Timberliners.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Is it really that bad? I haven't ridden it since 2009, but it wasn't too bad. It was rough, but not SOB or Mean Streak rough imo.

This all sounds a little weird. PTC's are not cheap by any means and to buy two sets just to wait and see if next year you're going to purchase two more new trains?

^Is it really that bad? I haven't ridden it since 2009, but it wasn't too bad. It was rough, but not SOB or Mean Streak rough imo.

This all sounds a little weird. PTC's are not cheap by any means and to buy two sets just to wait and see if next year you're going to purchase two more new trains?

I wonder who is buying them? Was this a HW decision and they are purchasing them, or was the Gravity Group not happy with their trains performance and purchased the remaining cars for HW?

What I understood from the original post from Paula when it was only a possiblity that the Timberliners were not going to be ready and they were purchasing some PTC "cars" just in case, was they still had one 6 car train and the 7th car off all three oringal trains. So they had a total of 9 PTC cars and would only have to purchase 5 more to have 2 full 7 car trains. I am sure 5 cars is not cheap, but it is no where near the cost of two whole 7 car trains. I am not sure where I read this exactly. maybe theme park review? If I did I would certainly site the reference.

What I understood from the original post from Paula when it was only a possiblity that the Timberliners were not going to be ready and they were purchasing some PTC "cars" just in case, was they still had one 6 car train and the 7th car off all three oringal trains. So they had a total of 9 PTC cars and would only have to purchase 5 more to have 2 full 7 car trains. I am sure 5 cars is not cheap, but it is no where near the cost of two whole 7 car trains. I am not sure where I read this exactly. maybe theme park review? If I did I would certainly site the reference.

Not sure what was posted on TPR after her original post, but I contacted Paula myself and got a more clear understanding. You can read my post with her reply in the link below my friend!

http://www.KICentral...ndpost&p=420463

Not sure what was posted on TPR after her original post, but I contacted Paula myself and got a more clear understanding. You can read my post with her reply in the link below my friend!

http://www.KICentral...ndpost&p=420463

and perhaps your post is where I read it...I assumed it wasn't here since many have still been talking as if they bought two brand new trains.

^^Same here. I can name several popular wooden coasters that are rougher, even while doing less--all, coincidentally, at Cedar Fair parks. Voyage is like Flight of Fear at Kings Island to me when it comes to roughness. It rattles you around, but it's not so much jackhammering as it is just intensity. (Ironically, Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion was a glass-smooth ride the time I rode it. All the fun of KI's version, but without the line, rattling, or complete stop on the MCBR.)

I wasn't trying to imply that it was as rough as Mean Streak or SoB. My rides last year were rough, but certainly not 'OMG make this end now!' rough. I was just commenting that it sucks that people seem to think that it has gotten that bad. Personally I can't wait for the Timberliners and I hope that they turn out to be as big of a success as the Millennium Flyers have been for GCI, but I am more than happy to ride Voyage with the PTCs and really glad Raven's lines will be shorter this year.

Im sorry but a wooden coaster is suspose to be rough, I love that out of control feeling. I rode Voyage about 15 or so times last year and I never felt it being too rough or anything of that nature.

Ahem...El Toro! :)

Lake Winnie's Cannon Ball.

Racer when it opened.

Even Beast when it opened.

Nowhere is it written that wooden coasters are supposed to be rough.

Well, it was in your post, but you know what I mean!

Guest rcfreak339

It hasn't reached that point, YET.

Anything besides the 1st row on Voyage hurts. It's not just rough, it freaking hurts. It's really not even in my top 5 wooden coasters anymore.

All the crap about "blah blah blah, A wooden coaster is supposed to be rough" is 100% BS. Theres a huge difference between a wooden coaster being "rough" and it just hurting. Take Beast for example, it's a great wooden coaster (My number 1) and is one of the roughest coasters Iv'e been on. It's great on The Beast because it doesn't hurt, yet you still get the "woody" feel to it. Voyage just hurts.

Anyone ride Voyage in 2006? Now that was an amazing ride.

You are seriously telling me that Beast doesnt HURT?? PLEASE, tell me in what row/seat you are sitting, so I can possibly ride that thing if I choose to attend Opening Day. The last time I road it was on Sep 10th of last year, and I swore I would absolutely NEVER sit on a Beast train again. It hurt, genuinely HURT from the point of leaving the second tunnel, until the double helix where it had been retracked. It has become very honestly un-rideable to me, even to the point of it still hurting the next weekend when I was fortunate enough to ride Voyage. Avatar was with me, he will back me up in the amount of discomfort I was in even after starting off on Raven... as a result of riding beast the weekend prior.

EDIT: Even though I am second only to Dare-To-Fly in my deep-seated hatred for trims, I would truly hate to even think of what that monstrosity would be like without trims.

^I agree with you completley about how The Beast "doesn't" hurt. It's worse then the Voyage, IMHO. The Beast knocks you around, snaps your neck....I got a bloody lip on it. But that's because I looked back behind the seats on the helix....maybe that's my fault! :lol:

You are seriously telling me that Beast doesnt HURT?? PLEASE, tell me in what row/seat you are sitting, so I can possibly ride that thing if I choose to attend Opening Day. The last time I road it was on Sep 10th of last year, and I swore I would absolutely NEVER sit on a Beast train again. It hurt, genuinely HURT from the point of leaving the second tunnel, until the double helix where it had been retracked. It has become very honestly un-rideable to me, even to the point of it still hurting the next weekend when I was fortunate enough to ride Voyage. Avatar was with me, he will back me up in the amount of discomfort I was in even after starting off on Raven... as a result of riding beast the weekend prior.

EDIT: Even though I am second only to Dare-To-Fly in my deep-seated hatred for trims, I would truly hate to even think of what that monstrosity would be like without trims.

Did you ever get to ride The Beast with the old buzz bars and the old trims?

Is the Voyage that bad I am going for my frist time this year.

The 2nd row of each car very smooth.

The 1st row of each car is smooth but not as smooth as a 2nd row.

3rd rows are extremely rough (I refuse to ride in 3rd rows on Beast)

Your Beast experience along with most other coasters depends on what row you sit.

Give Beast another try.

Guest rcfreak339

I'd ride Beast 1039405x over any row on Voyage besides 1st row. Although I absolutely LOVE Raven and Legend.

Voyage was the roughest wooden coaster Iv'e been on besides SoB and Iv'e been on Mean Streak. (Besides 2006 of course)

Perhaps it's just me, perhaps not, but I found Voyage to be extremely painful to ride when I rode it last year. 2010 was the first year I had been to Holiday World, and other than the front seat (Which is the most incredible coaster experience of my life so far) it just plain hurt. Jackhammering, side to side force, violence, who knows, I just know that by the midcourse I was hoping for the ride to be over.

I am disappointed to see that the Timberliners won't be there for 2011, as I was really hoping to be able to sit in a seat besides 1. At least Holiday World is taking the consideration to buy more cars and put full 7 car trains back on and such, most chains wouldn't do that. I've got to wonder what the deal is holding up the Timberliners for over a year now.

As to the Voyage vs. Beast debate, I have to say I haven't ridden Beast in a rear wheel seat in years, and can't really attest to its ride there, but the middle row seats are quite smooth and enjoyable, and the front row on Beast I actually found to be....thrilling! *gasp*

Is the Voyage that bad I am going for my frist time this year.

As much of a fanboy as I am for Holiday World, I'm going to put it this way: it really depends on your body type, pain tolerance, and desire to like Voyage. I'm a bigger guy--5'10", ~190 lb.--so I'm not necessarily overweight, but I've got padding. Painwise, I've never considered any of my frequent Beast rides over the past two years to be genuinely rough or otherwise uncomfortable. Beast is a classic ride among my friends and family, so I've wanted to like it since the first time I rode. On the other hand, Son of Beast is a little too much for me. In the two (post-loop) years I've been able to ride SoB, I've had one ride on it that I genuinely enjoyed, and that was at night right after a very heavy, prolonged rain where the ride was FLYING. I was intimidated by it the first time I rode it and quite frankly would rather have kept walking towards Flight Deck, and I did not enjoy much of the ride besides the first drop. I found the trains uncomfortable by design, and I can't seem to find any riding position that lets me genuinely enjoy the ride from start to finish. I'm not going to declare it as a horrible ride, as some people DO enjoy it--it's just not for me.

Going towards my first Voyage ride last year, I was approximately the weight I am now. I was almost certain that I would like Voyage (based off the POVs), but I also knew it would be very intense. I therefore decided I wouldn't let myself get too excited about the ride, which only mostly worked out. I decided it would have to prove itself to me before I decided my opinion on it, but I had a subconscious excitement about the ride that had me jumping up and down on the way to the front gate. And that, even though I didn't pull it off perfectly, was probably the best thing I could have done, because, for me, the ride was almost perfect. I knew I wanted to like it, I knew I probably would like it, and it turns out I loved it. I've got enough padding that it probably detracted from the roughness factor, and the ride delivered to my expectations, which I tried to keep as low as possible (and really didn't).

There's no good, objective advice for any of HW's coasters to be found online, because opinions of them are either one extreme or another--one guy will say Legend is boring and rough, another will say all three are unparalleled, another will say Voyage is the next Son of Beast, and an Interpreter or two will praise Raven as the best coaster in the park. In other words, go into your first Holiday World experience with a clear, open mind towards each of its coasters, keeping in mind only that all three (especially Voyage) are intense in their own wooden ways. Have a mindset that you're there to have fun, take a couple laps on each, and then just make your own opinion. And then just have fun, because the park is a blast. That's the best advice.

(Oh, and make sure to score some deep-fried Oreos. And some fudge. And a Thanksgiving dinner. Mmmm... I can just feel my arteries clogging now. :lol: Totally worth it.)

EDIT: On a side note, let me point out this: in my experience, Voyage is a very odd ride when it comes to the relation between seat location and roughness. I find the ride to be much smoother in either the first or last rows, but the closer you get to the middle, the more you'll really get smacked around in that PTC. But like I said, make your own opinion of it. I'm just saying based off my experiences.

I am not a big guy by any means (5'9", 171, slim build) and I ride Voyage hands-up all the way like it should be, and dont get tossed around. The key to Voyage... which does NOT work on beast by the way.... is to "ride it like a motorcycle" so to speak. Motorcycle riders, or people who have been behind me while riding it (Keith, Jesse, Brad) will know what Im talking about. When the curve approaches, lean into it, like you would on a motorcycle. The ONLY time I got tossed around on Voyage was on May 15, 2010... and that was my first ever ride on Voyage, last car, back row, in the BLUE train (not the junk-hammering Ravage train). I not only didnt know how to prepare for the corners, but I was also so ridiculously excited that I dont remember breathing from the time we went down the first drop, until Kat turned around and said "Welcome to Voyage, take a breath" right before going into the triple-down.

I am not a big guy by any means (5'9", 171, slim build) and I ride Voyage hands-up all the way like it should be, and dont get tossed around. The key to Voyage... which does NOT work on beast by the way.... is to "ride it like a motorcycle" so to speak. Motorcycle riders, or people who have been behind me while riding it (Keith, Jesse, Brad) will know what Im talking about. When the curve approaches, lean into it, like you would on a motorcycle. The ONLY time I got tossed around on Voyage was on May 15, 2010... and that was my first ever ride on Voyage, last car, back row, in the BLUE train (not the junk-hammering Ravage train). I not only didnt know how to prepare for the corners, but I was also so ridiculously excited that I dont remember breathing from the time we went down the first drop, until Kat turned around and said "Welcome to Voyage, take a breath" right before going into the triple-down.

Yep, Sparky showed us his trick and it is helpful. I tind it to be a lot more fun in those 90 degree curves. During the Holiday Hustle we rode it about 8 times in a row and moved seats quite a bit. With Sparky's advice, I could not tell a difference no mater what seat we were in. Might want to give this a try at least once and if you see one of us there, let us show you how to do it although Sparky is the best trainer at this!

i still remember your qoutes thru-out the ride (not repeating them as they are not kid appropriate) but still funny as ...well... you know.wink.gif

Riding with Sparky is fun - riding behind him and watching is hilarious, but he's right as his approach helps. Although I don't recommend trying to learn the layout in the dark at Holiwood Nights, because if you lean the wrong way, you may end up bruised :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not to start a flame war, but I'm not sure if I'll make a trip to Holiday World this year. I love the park dearly, but with nothing new to offer, I'm just not sure that I'll be willing to shell out the money. While their coasters are fun, Raven and Legend aren't memorable. Voyage is one of my all time favorite coasters but I agree with others, it hurts. On top of that, I think I might go to Coastermania this year. I haven't been before, it's free with Platinum Passes, and it interests my dad a whole lot more.