$9 MILLION RIDE UPGRADE FOR TRACK SUBSYSTEMS

North American park.

$9 million for "upgrade of track subsystems of a ride at a major North American amusement park. The contract, which includes design, engineering, fabrication, and assembly phases, will be executed through 2011 and 2012."

Let the speculation begin:

Empire Industries Ltd.

Mar 17, 2011 07:00 ET

Empire Industries Announces $9 Million Contract for Amusement Park Ride Upgrade

WINNIPEG, MANITOBA--(Marketwire - March 17, 2011) - Empire Industries Ltd. (TSX VENTURE:EIL) today announced that its Dynamic Structures business unit has been awarded a contract valued at approximately $9 million for the upgrade of track subsystems of a ride at a major North American amusement park. The contract, which includes design, engineering, fabrication, and assembly phases, will be executed through 2011 and 2012.

"Dynamic Structures is a world leader in this sort of work." said David Halliday, President of the Dynamic Structures business unit. "It requires very specialized engineering expertise and high tolerance fabrication. There are very few companies in the world who can meet the strict quality control requirements that this work demands."

Guy Nelson, Chief Executive Officer of Empire Industries, added "We are gratified to see that our commitment to this market is paying off. With this contract in hand, a healthy backlog, and a very strong bid book in the pipeline, we are optimistic that we are seeing the beginning of rapid growth in this highly specialized, global export market that Dynamic Structures is a leader in."

About Empire Industries Ltd.

Empire Industries is based primarily in western Canada and operates in two market segments: Specialized Engineered Product Manufacturing and Steel Fabrication/Installation. It also participates in a strategic partnership in the industrial maintenance services sector through its equity stake in ACE Industrial Services, based in Fort McMurray. The Company's business operations are focused on the infrastructure, commercial and industrial construction marketplace of western Canada and select niche export markets internationally. Empire's common shares are listed on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol EIL.

Reader Advisory

This news release contains forward-looking statements, within the meaning of applicable securities legislation, concerning Empire's business and affairs. In certain cases, forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of words such as "plans", "expects" or "does not expect", "budget", "scheduled", "estimates", "forecasts", "intends", "anticipates" or variations of such words and phrases or state that certain actions, events or results "may", "could", "would", "might" or "will be taken", "occur" or "be achieved". These forward looking statements are based on current expectations, and are naturally subject to uncertainty and changes in circumstances that may cause actual results to differ materially. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements. Forward-looking information is provided as of the date of this press release, and Empire assumes no obligation to update or revise them to reflect new events or circumstances, except as may be required under applicable securities laws.

Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.

http://www.marketwir...EIL-1413054.htm

If this truly is for Son of Beast, maybe the Son of Beast haters and the Son of Beast enthusiasts will finally be able to get along! :lol:

The people that dislike Son of Beast would probably like it, if it's track is redone in super smooth steel, and they layout and banking of turns is changed to make it more exciting, and the Son of Beast enthusiasts would like it, because one of their favorite rides would be reopening

Notice that this could literally be for most any roller coaster in the United States. Recall also that Texas Giant's re-tracking cost $10 million. This $9 million would logically seem to be for a shorter roller coaster...

Something else to consider:

Perhaps a no-name company that doesn't have tons of experience in the industry would be the most likely to tackle Son of Beast. After all, many companies that have already made a name for themselves in the amusement park industry would probably think twice before risking all they've worked for with Son of Beast. But a company that has never really entered the amusement park world has far less to lose. If they succeed with Son of Beast, they rocket to stardom in the industry. If not, they can simply return to what they do best, largely unaffected by their roller coaster result...

So maybe any potential change to Son of Beast will be from a company like "Empire Industries" and not Intamin or Rocky Mountain (who will almost certainly be getting lots more work - with Six Flags at least).

And then there's the fact that this was posted by The "Red Herring" Interpreter. Would he post it if he knew that this was in fact for Son of Beast (which he almost certainly would, somehow... ;)?)

Things to consider!

A good time to point out several things, especially to our newer posters.

The Interpreter posts all kinds of things, representing many different perspectives and alternative futures. The mere fact that The Interpreter posts a link or summary of a story in no way implies or infers that he is in agreement (or disagreement) therewith.

And The Interpreter never, ever reveals future park plans prior to the public release of those plans. Whether or not he knows of them.

I'd rather have a successful, fun steel roller coaster than nothing (or a painful, rough, wooden coaster).

Records aside, Son of Beast and Kings Island would improve in every way by having Son of Beast re-done in steel. I truly feel that.

Would KI be better overall using $9,000,000 for SoB?

I'm not too sure about that. Only because, SoB's reputation will always be there. Just like TTD's downtime reputation (which is no longer an issue) or Bat's reputation of injuring people (which never happened).

Now, if SoB is to be redesigned & re-engineered:

The contract, which includes design, engineering, fabrication, and assembly phases
it will most likely be re-named.

If that happens, then CF made a great $9,000,000 move (compared to TG's $10,000,000) since it literally will be a new coaster.

I figure since I have time to write out a full post at the moment, I might as well drop in my two cents.

I'm a part of the Son of Beast Haters group, but I am not one of the people who constantly calls for it to be torn to shreds, burned, and weenie roasted.

I am actually very intrigued to see what could be done with this type of treatment. I am a Son of Beast Hater, but I've always seen some potential in that ride. The first drop is the best on any wooden coaster I've been on, and the Rose Bowl would probably be a pretty fun element were it not for the extreme roughness. Take those two, and add in some of the Texas Giant type features - Double ups, +90 degree turns, addition of airtime hills and quick lateral changes, etc, and I could see Son of Beast becoming an actually halfway decent coaster, at least.

If this does turn out to be for Son of Beast, I will root for its success and anxiously await a ride on it when the opportunity comes. Not to mention, construction at Kings Island in general excites me :)

However, let's not allow ourselves to forget the fact that this may not, and probably is not, for Son of Beast. I remember the last time I got involved in a park guessing game for a coaster, it ended up going to China. Granted, this applies only to North America now, but the fact remains the same. This could be for any steel or wooden coaster in our corner of the globe. It would be extremely unwise to assume until further facts present themself that this is for our problem child. It could be anybody's problem child. :)

^^ According to rcdb.com, there are 798 coasters: operating, SBNO, under construction, or in storage in North America.

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?order=12&ot=2&nm=na&pl=1&ex=1&page=1

Granted it may not be for a coaster, I just can't think of anything else in the industry that will have a $9,000,000 price tag for what the press release describes.

^^ According to rcdb.com, there are 798 coasters: operating, SBNO, under construction, or in storage in North America.

http://www.rcdb.com/...l=1&ex=1&page=1

Granted it may not be for a coaster, I just can't think of anything else in the industry that will have a $9,000,000 price tag for what the press release describes.

Now we know the odds that this is for SoB.;)