Dinosaurs Alive: The Poll

McSalsa

In addition to the 301' foot swinging WindSeeker, we learned less than 20 minutes ago that Kings Island will recieve another new attraction for 2011- Dinosaurs Alive. And thus, this poll: what is your response to this announcement? Do you like? Dislike? And what about that $5 upcharge they are doing?

Enjoy the poll. If you dislike, click back.;)

Personally, I think this is going to be pretty cool, but can only see myself doing this once or twice due to the upcharge...

• Like 1

This is ABSOLUTELY the WORST thing Kings Island has ever done in it's 39 year history! This is a total WASTE of money that could be used for better things like maybe a couple of really good sit down restaurants or fixing up that big wooden coaster just sitting there or having an event like Winterfest! Instead they waste it on some stupid fairy tell dinosaur exhibit and then have the nerve to charge extra to see it! You can go to museums and see trash like this! It has NO place in an amusement park! First, theyvtake away DB and Beast ERT and now THIS! I don't know who's making decisions at this park these days, but a 5 year old could do a MUCH better job! Maybe we should rename Kings Island, The Land of The Lost! That would give it double meeting to compare it to the 70 s TV show and to describe the people running things over there. They've seem to have LOST their way! Dinosaurs Alive, Give Me A Break!

^Wow. I'm not even going to feed the troll this time. I'll spend my $5 that I would have spent on Troll Chow on Dinosaurs Alive instead! ;)

I like the idea of this, but I can see myself only doing it once or twice because of the upcharge, since it will be $15 a pop to get my whole family in to see it. I'd be curious to see what kind of repeat business they get on this. I'm sure they have attendance projections on that, but I can see that upcharge definitely being a deterrent to repeat attendance to the attraction.

I wonder if the upcharge will eventually go the way of the FearFest upcharge they had it's first couple of seasons. Uh oh... I mentioned a park Halloween event! I did throw a morsel out there for the troll! Oops!

• Like 1

Poor Decision...I`m not sure what the cost of this attraction is but i think it could have been spent on a new coaster if not next year in the next few. This is a horrible idea that I won`t spend a dime on it. This would be better suited for a museum. <_<

Poor Decision...I`m not sure what the cost of this attraction is but i think it could have been spent on a new coaster if not next year in the next few. This is a horrible idea that I won`t spend a dime on it. This would be better suited for a museum. <_<

^That is a horrible idea. Why would it be better to build a coaster... oh why did I say that?

I'm sorry but I doubt you have much experience running an amusement park and it's obvious that you don't quite understand the economics involved.

Gibson, trying to be at least polite.

• Like 1

While this addition does not really affect me too much, I'll be glad to check it out once or twice! I like these kinds of things, and its great that KI is putting in an educational aspect to the park! Like I said, it doesn't really appeal to me and other thrill-seekers all too much, but it'll be great for families, young kids, and people who don't like riding. Great, great idea on KI's part.

As for all you whiners - Do you REALLY think that with the addition of WindSeeker, it'd be another major attraction? Let's get real. And also, think about the economics involved in running an amusement park, (as Gibson said) it's not just about appealing to the thrill-seekers, they need to attract families as well.

Now as for the upcharge... dry.gif

^That is a horrible idea. Why would it be better to build a coaster... oh why did I say that?

I'm sorry but I doubt you have much experience running an amusement park and it's obvious that you don't quite understand the economics involved.

Gibson, trying to be at least polite.

Its called an amusement park for a reason..any type of thrill ride would be better suited for the amount of land they are using. I may not have an experience running an "amusement park" but I know what I like to spend my money on and it won`t be that. I guess we will wait and see who wins in the end but I go for the adventure not to see animated dinosaurs that have no intrest to me at all.

Guest TombraiderTy

Two points I think are worth considering...

1. The current upcharge attractions (Xtreme Skyflyer, Thunder Alley, Sling Shot, EuroBobbles) are upcharge due to capacity. They all have horrible hourly capacities, especially compared to the hundreds of guests who can ride the more major attractions within the same period of time.

2. This is not the first time the park has charged for a higher-capacity attraction. When the Lion Country Safari opened in 1974, guests where charged $1 to ride the monorail. According to an online inflation calculator, that'd be $4.30 after inflation. About the same amount of money.

I just saw the announcement today and I had to drop in on KICentral to get the opinion of my favorite online community. He he. It seems kind of like a mixed bag. Personally, I can understand the economics of having an attraction like this. Not everyone likes thrill rides and this attraction provides another outlet for family entertainment.

HOWEVER, I think that is a bad move for Kings Island. Other dino-themed attractions like Universal's "Jurassic Park" raft ride have set the bar pretty high in the terms of special effects and theming. I know that this attraction is a walk-through and it may not be "fair" to compare the two. However, let's be honest. Cedar Fair does not have a great reputation when it comes to theming rides and attractions, as they are not a theme park. I just hope that they step up to the plate. This new attraction can go one of two ways - it could be fun or it could be really cheesy. Let's just hope it’s not the latter. Oh one more thing, is this attraction going to be permanent or is it just a traveling exhibit type thing?

BTW, the 5.00 up charge doesn't bother me. I personally think that it is a "fair" price.

2. This is not the first time the park has charged for a higher-capacity attraction. When the Lion Country Safari opened in 1974, guests where charged $1 to ride the monorail. According to an online inflation calculator, that'd be $4.30 after inflation. About the same amount of money.

I have it on very good authority that the initial upcharge price for LCS/WAH was 50 cents.

I read somewhere that the admission price in 1984 was $13.50. I can no longer remember how many soccer games I had to referee to earn enough for my season pass.

Lion Country Safari didn't exist the first two seasons. It was not an upcharge attraction until many, many years later. Paramount added the $1 charge, and that existed only a season or two (and, if I remember correctly, by then the Cincinnati Zoo was either running or helping to run the what was by then Wild Animal Habitat, and got the $1 charge).

I'll trust you on this Terpy, but I thought that the upcharge was around before Paramount. Per the timeline, the safari/habitat only lasted 1 1/2 seasons after the Paramount acquisition.

Sorry Terpy, but I'm with KIfan on this one. I know Lion Country Safari wasn't around until 1974, but I'm very certain that the upcharge existed before Paramount. Before we had season passes, my family only went to KI once a year. My grandmother worked in the park from the beginning, first in the Executive Dining Room, and later in Housekeeping. We used the tickets that she got from working there for our yearly visits. In addition to the tickets to enter the park, there were also separate tickets that she received and gave to us that were for the monorail. And when I started working at the park in 1989, I'm pretty certain that I received those tickets too.

I have a friend who worked at Lion Country Safari/WAH for years. I'll try contacting her to see if she remembers when the upcharge started.

I heard back from my friend last week but forgot to post in here what she said. Here's what she told me: The first cost she remembers was 50 cents, then $1.00, then $2.00 when WAH closed.

I remember well how upset people were over the $1 charge, blaming Paramount for it, and thinking maybe it was imposed so ridership would decline and Paramount could more easily justify a decision to remove the safari, which they in fact did do...

Perhaps when Paramount took over was when the price was raised from $1 to $2, and that's where the confusion came in? I can certainly see people being upset with the price doubling like that.

Is this attraction going to be permanent or is it just a traveling exhibit type thing?

BTW, the 5.00 up charge doesn't bother me. I personally think that it is a "fair" price.

The press release states the following:

"Dinosaurs Alive! is a long-term investment and reflects our commitment to providing our guests with world-class thrills, fun and family entertainment."
  • Like 1

Well I think this is to compete with the Creation Museum since they are building their own amusement park. (Or it's another company and it is by it). I am not very excited about it but will defiantly see it. I saw the same thing with the same logo at a museum and it was alright. I think it is a good decision as it will draw more families to the park and towards the back of the park. The $5 admission fee is reasonable I guess but I doubt I will see this multiple times because of it. All in all, Kings Island made a good decision and Raptor needs to stop raging.

Thanks for your response, Indyguy4KI. Yeah, I saw that in the news release. I was just curious because most of the exhibits are traveling ones I do believe. Aren't these guys the same ones that did the dino thing at the Musuem Center in Cincy?

Is this attraction going to be permanent or is it just a traveling exhibit type thing?

The press release states the following:

"Dinosaurs Alive! is a long-term investment and reflects our commitment to providing our guests with world-class thrills, fun and family entertainment."

Guest rcfreak339

This new project isn't aimed toward teenagers and older adults....It's aimed towards the younger ones, and out of all the moms I have talked to about this I always get the same response; "My son/daughter will go insane over this!"

In terms of that it is an excellent addition and I can't wait to see it.

I personally am very excited for this! I will probably only do it a couple times through the year, but I mean come on...60 dinosaurs?! I have to imagine the area they are putting this in will fit amazingly! I also think it's a very smart decision by Kings Island, most amusement parks wouldn't do this. It's a nice change in pace, and will more than likely bring in the nickels! :)

Wow. This is probably the fastest growing poll I have ever made.

Oh, one thing that popped in my head: is this going to be a "pay $5 each time" or "pay $5, you can go through as much as you like" type of attraction? Or perhaps, a $10-$20 "day pass" for the ride?

Or, dare I say it...it's own season pass!:P

GET YOUR Dinosaurs Alive SEASON PASSES! NOW ONLY $29.99!!! (Kings Island admission also required)

I'll do it once this season, but this won't really affect me that much. Like Boomerang Bay: It's there, I respect why it's there, I understand why people enjoy it, but it's not for me.

Good idea for families, though. It's good to see that Kings Island is getting a lot of attention. This is the type of attraction that I'd only expect to see at a park like Universal.

Two points I think are worth considering...

1. The current upcharge attractions (Xtreme Skyflyer, Thunder Alley, Sling Shot, EuroBobbles) are upcharge due to capacity. They all have horrible hourly capacities, especially compared to the hundreds of guests who can ride the more major attractions within the same period of time.

We went to KI every year from 1972 though the mid 80s and then still on a regular basis after that. We rode the LCS monorail exactly once. The reason was the up-charge. My dad had to pay for 7 of us. Money was tight and the day trip to KI was our vacation most years. I remember mom making meatloaf and putting hot bricks in the cooler to keep it hot. This was the only way we could go. I am sure there are many families in the same situation today. A small flat like Skyflyer etc is easy to walk by and dream about how cool it would be to ride, but a hyped attraction like Dinosaurs Alive will be tough for these families to avoid.

This is ABSOLUTELY the WORST thing Kings Island has ever done in it's 39 year history! This is a total WASTE of money that could be used for better things like maybe a couple of really good sit down restaurants or fixing up that big wooden coaster just sitting there or having an event like Winterfest! Instead they waste it on some stupid fairy tell dinosaur exhibit and then have the nerve to charge extra to see it! You can go to museums and see trash like this! It has NO place in an amusement park! First, theyvtake away DB and Beast ERT and now THIS! I don't know who's making decisions at this park these days, but a 5 year old could do a MUCH better job! Maybe we should rename Kings Island, The Land of The Lost! That would give it double meeting to compare it to the 70 s TV show and to describe the people running things over there. They've seem to have LOST their way! Dinosaurs Alive, Give Me A Break!

I've said this multiple times and I'll say again.

There is more to parks than just the darn rides. Mmk? Yes, the rides are good, but its good to have other options. It's not like KI is the first park to have a dinosaur attraction :o SeaWorld Ohio had one :P

Sorry, I think its lame. My 10 yr old son said "It might be fun once, but after that.......?" We need to fix that "BIG Dinosaur" (which is pretty much extinct) at the front of the park called Son of Beast. That attraction needs some much needed attention. If its not gonna get fixed, or re-worked to "RECYCLE" parts of the coaster, or whatever...KI needs to move on and do something and build me a new major wooden coaster so I can stop dreaming of riding SOB ever again. LOL

Honestly all of us here can complain all we want but at the end of the day KI wears the pants. So they don't really need to do anything you tell them too. No matter how much we b$t%h and moan they are still going to do what they want.

Very true. All anyone can do is choose not to spend money on this, if they don't care for it. Whether that will have any effect on anything depends on how many people make that choice.