Dinosaurs Alive: The Poll

McSalsa

Off topic: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Cheeeeeeese fries. I just wish i could get some w/ shredded cheese melted on top, rather than the little dipping sauce cups.

Skyline has fries with shredded cheese, but they don't melt it for you.

Yeah, but the heat from the fries melts it and oh my, it's soooo good!

at the time of this posting 19 people have voted that they think that the Dinosaurs Alive exhibit either "sucks" or they "dislike" the decision.

since this is a blind poll we don't have any idea who voted what, but i'm shocked that so many members on here are getting angry with the park because they added something that doesn't appeal to them. this behavior from the members of this site almost makes me embarrassed to say that i'm apart of the KICentral universe, for us to not even know that there was going to be a second "new for 2011" attraction at the park a little over a week ago, we surely do look like we're spoiled little brats griping and complaining about Kings Island thinking that a FAMILY attraction would go over at a FAMILY park.

i think it's time that some of us around here move on from their diapers to their big girl panties and get over the fact that Kings Island's job isn't to just please yourself.:)

• Like 1

at the time of this posting 19 people have voted that they think that the Dinosaurs Alive exhibit either "sucks" or they "dislike" the decision.

since this is a blind poll we don't have any idea who voted what, but i'm shocked that so many members on here are getting angry with the park because they added something that doesn't appeal to them. this behavior from the members of this site almost makes me embarrassed to say that i'm apart of the KICentral universe, for us to not even know that there was going to be a second "new for 2011" attraction at the park a little over a week ago, we surely do look like we're spoiled little brats griping and complaining about Kings Island thinking that a FAMILY attraction would go over at a FAMILY park.

i think it's time that some of us around here move on from their diapers to their big girl panties and get over the fact that Kings Island's job isn't to just please yourself.:)

Well said. I'm happy for this, but know I won't do it every trip and not solely because of the up charge..heck many of my visits I even purposely skip Diamondback a FREEEEEEE ride. I just don't like taking my Olympus on it and trusting it in the station box. I'm paranoid.

I HATE upcharge attractions!!! Kings Island charges enough for parking and food(Which is why I go to Taco Bell)..and admission if you aren't a pass holder! I'm a grouch on this topic..I mean the dinos heads and tails move that's about it. Sure, It'll be cool but I don't like the idea of paying 5 bucks for that!...But I will.. just one time.. just to see what it's like. But I most of the time skip upcharge attractions(They SUCK!)..here's hoping the T-Rex doesn't break out and cause chaos in park midway.I seen something like this a while ago at the Boonshoft Museum Of Discovery in Dayton,Ohio.

grouchy.jpg I hate UPCHARGE ATTRACTIONS!

Many people have things they do not like about the park. Just by way of example, many people have very different opinions of SoB and The Crypt. I personally don't care for dinosaurs, so I will not be spending my money on Dinosaurs Alive. Others will like it and choose differently. I don't feel different tastes among the members reflects poorly on the site at all.

• Like 1

Well you have to keep in mind that just because they dislike the new attraction doesn't mean that they are "angry" with the park. Some just don't find it to be appealing. Just because they dislike something doesn't mean that they're spoiled brats, they just don't like it. I understand why someone wouldn't find this that appealing. Some voted down because it's an upcharge attraction, some voted down because they argue that the money could have been spent better elsewhere. There's a lot of reasons why someone might vote down on a poll, and the "iTz NoT a coAstEr" reason is far from the only one.

Edit: After reading that it sounds a little rude. Sorry if it comes off that way, just my .02. For the record I voted "Good, but not blown away"

People have a right to criticize or praise the park and it's actions. This is a fan site after all, and one of the purposes of a fan site is to give people a forum to debate whether or not the park is worthy of praise or criticism. Problems arise when people take this stuff too seriously. In the end, it's just a park. It's a park that we all have strong feelings about, but it's still just a park. While it would be terrible if the park was gone tomorrow, our lives would continue on. Life's just too short to get worked up over something that a park does that we don't like or over people who don't like something our park does. By all means, debate and discuss, but it's just not worth getting angry over. If KI does something that bombs, odds are they'll set it right. If this is successful and gets more people through the gate, then that works out better for all.

Remember, Kings Island itself wasn't all that popular an idea to begin with.

Many people have things they do not like about the park. Just by way of example, many people have very different opinions of SoB and The Crypt. I personally don't care for dinosaurs, so I will not be spending my money on Dinosaurs Alive. Others will like it and choose differently. I don't feel different tastes among the members reflects poorly on the site at all.

i understand that nearly everyone has something they dislike about the park, the part about the "different taste among the members" i completely agree with. my post was directed more towards the ones who feel the need to lash out against the park for anything they do (ones that are using "i hate the park for doing *insert reason here*" and "Kings Island couldn't have made a more worse decision, ect...), these are the people that get the most attention and give the site the bad wrap some people have with the site.

Well you have to keep in mind that just because they dislike the new attraction doesn't mean that they are "angry" with the park. Some just don't find it to be appealing. Just because they dislike something doesn't mean that they're spoiled brats, they just don't like it. I understand why someone wouldn't find this that appealing. Some voted down because it's an upcharge attraction, some voted down because they argue that the money could have been spent better elsewhere. There's a lot of reasons why someone might vote down on a poll, and the "iTz NoT a coAstEr" reason is far from the only one.

Edit: After reading that it sounds a little rude. Sorry if it comes off that way, just my .02. For the record I voted "Good, but not blown away"

as stated above in the post, i was referring mainly to the few members who seem to have nothing positive to say about the park.:)

i understand that nearly everyone has something they dislike about the park, the part about the "different taste among the members" i completely agree with. my post was directed more towards the ones who feel the need to lash out against the park for anything they do (ones that are using "i hate the park for doing *insert reason here*" and "Kings Island couldn't have made a more worse decision, ect...), these are the people that get the most attention and give the site the bad wrap some people have with the site.

as stated above in the post, i was referring mainly to the few members who seem to have nothing positive to say about the park.:)

I agree, sometimes people, myself included, tend to overreact to things.

I completely agree, and notice that the majority of the complainers are the n00bs..............

I think that this is an excellent descision. Would it be nicer if there were no upcharge? Sure, but I still like this idea either way. This not only brings something unique to the park, but also shows that Cedar Fair is willing to bring some immersive and thematic experiences back to the park. Also, to all that think that this investment should have been used for a coaster, remember this: Kings Island, is in fact a theme park (a theme park is defined as an amusement park with different sub-sections, and rides which may or may not have a common theme). Kings Island is not just a thrill park. Actually, I would find it quite boring visiting a park that ONLY focuses on installing coasters, without any sort of relaxing and immersive "get away areas/attractions".

Look at it this way, we were all children at one point in time, and many of us probably also went through the "dinosaur stage". Imagine if you were still at that age level.....would you be dissappointed if there were little for you to do throughout the entire park? After all, you were at one point below the height required to ride all of the thrilling rides within the park. Along with that, many younger, and even older kids are freightened by the thought of going high and fast, and enjoy the park only for the more tranquil and immersive experiences. This also applies to those who for other reasons are not capable of riding rides, but want to be able to get out and do something fun.

In short, not everyone likes, or is capable of getting on thrill rides at a theme park, which is why there is a variety, and why this is a great investment.....

Sigh..

KIBOB, trying not to be rude.

I HATE upcharge attractions!!! Kings Island charges enough for parking and food(Which is why I go to Taco Bell)..and admission if you aren't a pass holder! I'm a grouch on this topic..I mean the dinos heads and tails move that's about it. Sure, It'll be cool but I don't like the idea of paying 5 bucks for that!...But I will.. just one time.. just to see what it's like. But I most of the time skip upcharge attractions(They SUCK!)..here's hoping the T-Rex doesn't break out and cause chaos in park midway.I seen something like this a while ago at the Boonshoft Museum Of Discovery in Dayton,Ohio.

Yet, in another thread announcing this upcharge attraction you said...

Very GROOVY indeed! So, will this be like the Wild Thornberry's Rainforest Insect Adventure from 2000? Sounds awesome..wonder which dinosaur species will be at the park..sounds like a Jurassic Park Jr to me. Looking forward to it.

Make up your mind, lol.

There is not a ton of money to be made by having this as an extra charge in my opinion. If you assume the park will have attendance around 3 million and with the ride opening later in the year maybe 2.5 million people will have the chance to go through. To be even more conservative I'll say it will not be open for haunt and then maybe there are 2 million possible visitors. If they can get ten percent of park visitors to enter, and that may be high considering there are a lot of potential pass holders/repeat viewers, that is only $1,000,000 plus whatever they make in souvenirs. I would think the cost of this project would be close to that, if not more, with all the costs considered.

In my opinion though, and I have no evidence to back this up, maybe an extra charge was the only way to add this. If they didn't have the money in the budget maybe charging is the only way to add anything extra to the park this year. So in essence this is paying for itself and it is a choice between adding this with an upcharge or adding nothing at all. That is why I am happy it's coming.

^Sorry, I don't think my point is coming across clear. I am glad the park is adding this. I just had a confusing way of saying I think the park is letting this pay for itself. Kind of like how in theory tolls are charged to pay for the construction of a new road. Maybe without the charge we don't get this attraction because there is no money in the budget for it.

In part because the owners were attempting to do what seemed impossible: replace the amusement park that everyone had grown up going to. Think about it. Hypothetically speaking, if Cedar Fair decided to move Kings Island, wouldn`t that make you a little upset? That is exactly what Taft did with Coney back in the early 70s. Coney was left for dead. But here it is, entering its 125 anniversary season in a couple months, co-existing with Kings Island, and still surviving floods (there is still a little bit of flood waters left in the parking lot between Coney and River Downs, otherwise, the park is now dry).

• Like 1

Repeated for wisdom:

Well I think this is to compete with the Creation Museum since they are building their own amusement park. (Or it's another company and it is by it). I am not very excited about it but will defiantly see it. I saw the same thing with the same logo at a museum and it was alright. I think it is a good decision as it will draw more families to the park and towards the back of the park. The $5 admission fee is reasonable I guess but I doubt I will see this multiple times because of it. All in all, Kings Island made a good decision...

That is a very wise post. Remember that MOST of the people who visit this site tend to be enthusiasts in some degree or another. But this attraction is NOT geared towards us. It is geared towards families. And in the grand scheme of things, $5 is not a lot. Heck, look at the cost of movies, and most other entertainment options.

• Like 1

Its all in percieved value. I don't go to movies because none seem to have value. $5 is too much to spend for something that I perceive to.have no value or interest to me. Besides, I'm guessing you can get a pretty good view of it from The Racer or maybe the Eiffel Tower with binoculars.

Guest rcfreak339

I hope you know the Dinosaurs are not real, if they were it would cost a ton more then just 5 bucks.

I mentioned yesterday that my son (7) was super excited when I showed him the picture of the T-Rex.

Today on the other hand, my wife was not excited at all when she heard it was an upcharge. While $5 may not seem like a lot - for those of us with a family of four, it's another $20 on top of the several hundred dollars spent on passes, the expense of meals at the park, etc. I think we'll probably hit it once or maybe twice this season, but we'll have to make it a "special" event for the boys.

Not saying I think it is a bad idea on KI's part - if fact I believe it is a very good idea, as I think it will draw some additional families to the park that otherwise wouldn't visit. In addition, it will drive increased in park spending from both the season pass holder families like mine and the one trip a year families. How can that be considered a bad thing? Are there other things I could have wished/hoped for - sure, but for someone who is a fan of KI I've got to give the park a thumbs up today.

If it's a pay-per-walk experience, meaning you have to pay again if you want to go through again on the same day, I'm backtracking the length of the trail and doing it again that way. :P

But, all in all, I am thoroughly shocked by this move by the park. I mean, talk about coming out of left field with a dinosaur walk-through, let alone one that's 4,000 feet long and has over 50 animatronics in it (although they do appear to be minimal in their actual movements and not like the Jurassic Park dinos). I was at least expecting a simple changeup of films in AT to Dino Island, and have the entrance/exit be a mini-dinosaur walkthrough. But this is good, if not better.

Also, given the fact that I very rarely eat inside the park to begin with, let alone actually SPEND any money aside from the park ticket and an occasional soda, five bucks is a steal for something like this, especially considering the Creation Museum is at least $25, and that attraction doesn't have a bunch of roller coasters in its lineup (although some of its exhibits can be stomach-churning at times). Count me in for Opening Day for Dinosaurs Alive!

I said it about Diamondback, and I'm going to say it about Dinosaurs Alive: I think that, at this point in time, it's a FANTASTIC addition to the park, and something it really needed. I'm 37, and have no kids, but I'm really looking forward to walking through this thing. I've never seen anything even remotely like it. I would even like to see a refreshment stand/souvenir shop somewhere on the route.

**edit** and a restroom!!