Dinosaurs Alive! is coming to Kings Island in 2011

The outdoor park will sprawl over 12 acres of Kings Island. More than 60 life size dinosaurs, many of them animatronic, will be spread over the 4,000 foot long trail. Included in the park is an animatronic of the Ruyang Yellow River dinosaur, which measures an incredible 72 feet long, 12 feet wide and 30 feet high! The dinosaurs were created by the Canadian-based company "Dinosaurs Unearthed."

Dinosaurs Alive! will be open daily beginning May 26 from 10am until dusk. The dinosaur park is not included with general park admission or a 2011 season pass. A separate admission ticket of just $5.00 is required for this major attraction. For more information, visit www.visitkingsisland.com

-Robbie

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that this is a very nice addition to the park. Although most of the work will probably be handled by Dinosaurs Unearthed, I believe that this definently proves that Cedar Fair is making progress with adapting theming and general atmoshpere. Way to go CF! I was a bit suprised by the upcharge, but I suppose that $5 is reasonable for this brand new immersive area of the park.

In my opinion, the $5 upcharge hurts what would otherwise be a very unique and exciting attraction. It also worries me that the press release refers to this as a "long term investment." Paramount themeing aside, the park doesn't seem to be able to maintain its current thematic elements, let alone something of this scale. Boo Blasters and Snoopy Starlight were noticeably lacking in sufficient upkeep by the end of last season, so I can't imagine something like this will be any different. I hope Dinosaurs Unearthed requires that the attraction be maintained to a certain standard, otherwise I don't imagine this will be very attractive for any extended period of time.

I am impressed that they considered something like this, and I think this is a step in another good direction (along with improved park cleanliness, appearance, and attractions). I just hope the animatronics are kept in working order, and that the upcharge doesn't turn away too many guests (although if it did, perhaps it would reduce the price in the future).

I had my crazy thoughts thinking it may be an announcement saying Son of Beast will be receiving the Texas Giant treatment and reopen in 2012. After the dinosaurs were showed I was sure it would be some dinosaur thing.

When I found out it was I was disappointed but at the same time didn't want to be like *cough*raptorguy*cough* and complain. I thought of it positive, I could escape the park and go somewhere shaded (something KI lacks) but of course you have to pay. So overall I'm not totally disappointed at Dinosaurs Alive cause I know kids will love it, but I'm mad about the price.

This exhibit won't come cheap, and I was really hoping for something great next year, but with WindSeeker and Dino Alive, I don't see another large investment on the park soon. Am I the only one who wasnt interested in Animatronics as a kid? Never really was a fan, but I know many are today.

Vortex: not really. If it's not a coaster, certain types of people are going to be ticked as if they got stolen from. Sigh- the new "who just had to"
Yeah, you could hand out free money at the gate and someone would still be upset. I'm not upset about this. I hope it's a big hit and I'm glad to see them doing something different. If it was included with my season pass, I'd probably stroll through there frequently just because. But I don't really have any burning desire to see animatronic dinos. And my daughter is afraid of them. So with any kind of upcharge this is an easy "skip" for me.

I think that the $5.00 charge is fair and will be a great addition to KI. I am sure my son and daughter will love going through it and I am glad that KI decided to invest in a family attraction! Another way KI is thinking outside the box to bring in more families to the park!

Quite pleased. A little surprised that a Platinum Pass does not get one in, but the 5.00 charge is not ridiculous. That's cheaper than a beer.

Like others, I do hope that the park is able to maintain a rather sophisticated level of theming and atmosphere in high working order on a consistent basis.

If anyone complains about paying 5 dollars to see this, then they could just as easily see them from 301' feet in the air for less!

(I posted this on their FB wall and they deleted it.)

LOL. I clicked like on that, good to know who it was. Sucks It has been deleted though :(

I understand the upcharge. It's a LONG trail.

I probably won't go through it that often, but I'd definitely do it once for curiosity. This sounds like a good attraction for families.

Has it been confirmed that it will go under The Racer and back in the woods in that area (as shown in the "planning" topic)? I hope that it's not in a location where it is visible from all over the park.

For Kings Island park enthusiast this is huge and very welcomed news. I am very excited about seeing an updated Coney Mall look and a new thrill ride WindSeeker towering over the area, I am also very pleased to see Kings Island trying new activities like last year's train tour and now this year a major Dinosaur exhibit. These types of new activities are what keep my family and me coming back and looking forward to doing something new. I welcome Dinosaur Alive and wish it a very successful endeavor while at Kings Island.

I think what excites me the most and not to take away from the fantastic job Kings Island has been doing in adding so much beauty and thrills to the park this off-season is the fact that they are opening up a whole new area for guest to explore. I know this type of activity and the location Dinosaur Alive is taking up can lead to even more parallel activities or a permanent expansion in the area. This is truly some of the best news I have heard in a long time. Way to go Kings Island I tip my hat to you, keep up the great work!!!!

I must be the minority, I like the dinosaurs, kind of always have since I was a kid. I will try to be there beginning of June as I want to see the dinos but don't want to deal with the Memorial Day crowds.

To those who were disappointed it isn't a roller coaster or a thrill ride... there's more to a park than having the highest or longest or fastest coasters/rides. I'm actually happy this isn't a coaster. :P

I am down for this one! We have a kid in our ranks who might be afraid of the dino's as well, so the $5 upcharge is kind of a nice way to reconsider things on his part. We can tell the older two that it isn't worth the money to send him through if he doesn't feel like it, and maybe they'll spare him the teasing! Has anyone ever been to Dino World in Cave City? My sister blew much more than $5 getting in there and really didn't have a lot of nice things to say about it. I'm hoping this is nicer.

I think this may be the kind of thing where you go through once and you've had your fill for the season, so not including it in a season pass makes sense to me.

So has anyone drawn on a Google maps shot yet to guess at how big this will be? I'm predicting that a neat aspect of this will be looking down into it from atop The Racers, Vortex or Beast. Hopefully some of the taller dino's will be visible.

In case anyone missed this: http://www.upillar.com/listings/70125-dinosaurs-alive-at-the-toledo-zoo-dinamation-1988-ticket-stub-souvenir

This is a recycled idea. It has been run into the ground for over two decades. If people want to pay for something like this there are plenty of roadside "gyp joints" out there. I will not! pay for this nor will I sit here and be a Kool Aid drinking fanboy who pretends that this lame, recycled idea is good simply because it's "new at Kings Island."

I believe the quote is this is an investment for the long term. So maybe Dinosaurs Alive is a short term thing (Star Trek thing KI did before). But could it be that the 5 dollar upcharge and the paving and creation of a new areas (in the pictures it looks like they will be paving a nice big walk way) coudl lead to future park expansion?

For me, I won't pay to see it. I would check it out if it was for free. Not my cup of tea. As for those who like this, have fun. From the temperature of the general public on Facebook, it was not well received due to the upcharge. That was a majority of the complaints. Yes, I will look at it from WS as others have suggested. lol. I feel sorry for those larger families on tight budgets; this will be expensive on top of the already high food prices.