Dinosaurs Alive! is coming to Kings Island in 2011

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so just wondering? is it definitely going in coney mall? like near psycho path? If it is, they're doing too much to one area of the park instead of fixing up other issues (Son of Beast). I'm looking forward to the brick pavement though...very classy.

so just wondering? is it definitely going in coney mall? like near psycho path? If it is, they're doing too much to one area of the park instead of fixing up other issues (Son of Beast). I'm looking forward to the brick pavement though...very classy.

To be fair, Coney Mall is a big area. At one end, you have The Racer entrance and the old-timey flats, and at the other end, you have The Vortex, WindSeeker, BLSC, and (until further notice) Action Theater. Meanwhile, the space between X Base and Vortex is a dead zone with an abandoned food building, a pitiful arcade, the abandoned Flight Commander queue and Eurobobbles. Putting the entrance to Dinosaurs Alive in this area allows the park to address the whole of Coney Mall in one season.

Edit: I use too many commas.

Very GROOVY indeed! So, will this be like the Wild Thornberry's Rainforest Insect Adventure from 2000? Sounds awesome..wonder which dinosaur species will be at the park..sounds like a Jurassic Park Jr to me. Looking forward to it. B)

Here is a video from another "Dinosaurs Alive." It shows some examples.

Thanks for that! Very cool.

I think I'd be happy to pay the $5.00 if I knew that that money would remain local and stay at our own park - that is, if it will be used to pay off the Dinosaur addition, help fix up The Crypt, etc. If it's going to pay some exorbitant salary for a board member, I would rather not.

And yes, as was said, I doubt this will remain up-charge for long. At least, not $5.00. That's $20 extra for a family of four, which may not be a good afternoon segway after that $40 lunch. I think people would happily browse it if it were free, but to shell out another $20 is asking a lot, especially if it's not even free for passholders...

Unique choice. We'll see how that turns out.

Overall, I'm excited, but honestly can't see myself visiting more than once if it's up-charge.

...Am I the only one who wasnt interested in Animatronics as a kid?...

No...but when I was a kid there were no Animatronics anywhere I frequented....and no, before someone asks, the real dinosaurs were not in fact still around...I promise!

Terp, who is very pleased with this addition to Kings Island, and thinks it will do well

I think $5 is a pretty fair price. Remember, that the last few season of the wild animal habitat they were charging $1 or two per person. It certainly is better than what they could have charged for it. They could have made it $15 or so per person. While, it would have been nice to have been included, with say a Platinum pass which is the premium pass option, and comes at a pretty significant uptick in price versus a KI only pass, I think it is wise to not have this be part of the general admission to KI. Why? Think about it from an operations standpoint.

Kings Island has a LOT of pass holders. If they were to make it free, the attraction would undoubtedly have huge lines. By charging some money, they help regulate the crowds going through the attraction, while also offsetting some of the cost involved with the attraction. In time, hopefully the revenue from this new attraction will allow Cedar Fair to invest in more rides like WindSeeker and Diamondback. (And yes, I am anxiously looking forward to riding WindSeeker! And I will likely pay the $5 a couple of times this season to see the dinosaurs. It depends on what the rest of the group I`m hanging out with wants to do though.

In case anyone missed this: http://www.upillar.c...t-stub-souvenir

This is a recycled idea. It has been run into the ground for over two decades. If people want to pay for something like this there are plenty of roadside "gyp joints" out there. I will not! pay for this nor will I sit here and be a Kool Aid drinking fanboy who pretends that this lame, recycled idea is good simply because it's "new at Kings Island."

Come on now brother. Wasn't Diamondback a recycled idea? How many B&M Hypercoasters are out there? Maybe you can go "rogue" and boycott this with Raptorguy as he refrains from riding WindSeeker and Vortex.

I have to say, driving into Kings Island is going to be a very unpleasant experience this year if I have to see that eyesore dinosaur all year. I hope that doesn't stay. I fail to see why something that silly looking was erected to start with! I don't recall ANY other attraction in KI'S history having something like that erected in the front yard right up by the road to advertise it's latest attraction. I mean, does anyone recall a 50 ft snake being placed out front for Diamondback or a 50 Ft Snoopy advertising Planet

Snoopy? If they didn't do that for their greatest attractions, why do it for a not very good attraction like this? Makes no sense to me!

Yes, but that is hard to judge. It could be a long term investment for Cedar Fair... At the very least, I think this attraction will be around for a couple season, if for no other reason than the fact that the park is having to do some civil work and electrical work in the woods behind The Racer in order to make a 4,000 foot long path over 12 acres. (Keep in mind that an acre is comprised of 43,560 square feet...) All that work requires a significant investment. If it was a temporary attraction for only a season, I think they would have located it in an area that is more easily accessible.

In case anyone missed this: http://www.upillar.c...t-stub-souvenir

This is a recycled idea. It has been run into the ground for over two decades. If people want to pay for something like this there are plenty of roadside "gyp joints" out there. I will not! pay for this nor will I sit here and be a Kool Aid drinking fanboy who pretends that this lame, recycled idea is good simply because it's "new at Kings Island."

Come on now brother. Wasn't Diamondback a recycled idea? How many B&M Hypercoasters are out there? Maybe you can go "rogue" and boycott this with Raptorguy as he refrains from riding WindSeeker and Vortex.

To answer your question: 10, according to RCDB.

I said I won't spend my money on Dinosaurs Alive. Since it's an upcharge, it should be pretty obvious that I will not be going through it. I really have no interest in it and have not cared for these dinosaur things for many years. Regarding the recycled nature of Dinosaurs Alive, Kings Island has a history of unique, state of the art rides and attractions (there are some exceptions, of course). I feel that an identical idea that has been used countless times under the same name flies in the face of this tradition. I think Kings Island is better than that.

I'm never going to Kings Island again! I just cut my Gold Pass into a kajillion pieces! This is the suxor! ZOMG! HyperGigaMegaStratoCoasters forever, Dinos never!

Just kidding. They'll get $10 from me. Me, daughter. One visit. She's not big on dinos, and I'm indifferent. But this attraction is not about me. Bring in more families, good for the park. (As I've said before cynically, bring in more single moms, good for me.) I hope this is a real positive for the park, and I think it can be.

And while were at it, what about the junior wooden coasters at Carowinds, KI, and Kings Dominion?

But KI did those first. King Cobra was later duplicated as well. I liked the days when KI was a leader. I think it's really the name that bothers me. It seems, to me anyway, that using the same name as the older travelling exhibit seems a bit beneath, for lack of a better word, a world class park. And I'm not angry or griping, I'm actually a bit saddened by this.

I have to say, driving into Kings Island is going to be a very unpleasant experience this year if I have to see that eyesore dinosaur all year. I hope that doesn't stay. I fail to see why something that silly looking was erected to start with! I don't recall ANY other attraction in KI'S history having something like that erected in the front yard right up by the road to advertise it's latest attraction. I mean, does anyone recall a 50 ft snake being placed out front for Diamondback or a 50 Ft Snoopy advertising Planet

Snoopy? If they didn't do that for their greatest attractions, why do it for a not very good attraction like this? Makes no sense to me!

You may or may not have seen the pictures the park released last year... Snoopy himself was out waving at drivers as they drove by the park not long after the costumed characters arrived. In the snow I might add he was out there, that poor doggie!

(I know it was only for a day maybe two but hey its advertising)

If it was a temporary attraction for only a season, I think they would have located it in an area that is more easily accessible.

Or just had DA! go in Trail of Terror's spot as that is already paved and has electrical work installed (except I don't think the ToT path is 4,000 feet long).

As a season pass holder and buyer of 4 passes, I was very frustrated at the 5 dollar charge, we will probably do it one time, and that will do it, When your multiplying by 4, the costs add up, I was also disappointed that the announcement wasn't a new mega coaster rivaling The dragster. wasn't even the Son of Beast. So it was a let down, As an adult , I really am not to pumped up for This attraction. and my 13 and 16 year old could care less, they wanted a dragster. I love Kings Island, but Cedar Point is better, Just the facts as i see it. Don't the pre teen Kids have enough at Kings Island already , with the award winning kids area, and the swimming area. Come on, bring on the Coasters.

As a season pass holder and buyer of 4 passes, I was very frustrated at the 5 dollar charge, we will probably do it one time, and that will do it, When your multiplying by 4, the costs add up, I was also disappointed that the announcement wasn't a new mega coaster rivaling The dragster. wasn't even the Son of Beast. So it was a let down, As an adult , I really am not to pumped up for This attraction. and my 13 and 16 year old could care less, they wanted a dragster. I love Kings Island, but Cedar Point is better, Just the facts as i see it. Don't the pre teen Kids have enough at Kings Island already , with the award winning kids area, and the swimming area. Come on, bring on the Coasters.

I agree not even the Pre-teen kids are going to like this, think more along the lines of 2ish-9ish year olds