Dinosaurs Alive! is coming to Kings Island in 2011

Guest TombraiderTy

^I went to Cincinnati Zoo's dinosaur exhibit back in 2004. My siblings and I- ages 10, 12 and 14- all enjoyed it. Dinosaurs are interesting to many more people than just little kids- in fact, I'll still probably enjoy Dinosaurs Alive.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, driving into Kings Island is going to be a very unpleasant experience this year if I have to see that eyesore dinosaur all year. I hope that doesn't stay. I fail to see why something that silly looking was erected to start with! I don't recall ANY other attraction in KI'S history having something like that erected in the front yard right up by the road to advertise it's latest attraction. I mean, does anyone recall a 50 ft snake being placed out front for Diamondback or a 50 Ft Snoopy advertising Planet

Snoopy? If they didn't do that for their greatest attractions, why do it for a not very good attraction like this? Makes no sense to me!

It's gonna suck when you're parked at the automobile gate, staring at that T-Rex, waiting for them to let you park so you can get on Diamondback and Beast ERT ASAP.

...Oh, wait.

I understand that this is something else to do for the people who cannot ride while their family and friends are riding, but from a thrillseeker's point of view: What is going on here?

Son of Beast is SBNO and will be for God knows how long. When is something going to change? I'm not SOB's biggest fan, but it's been how long since we got an actual update?

Our ERT on Beast and Diamondback is gone, and that really hit a nerve with a lot of people. I thought The Beast ERT was an addition to the walkback in the memory of Ruth Voss..

This dinosaur walk came way out from left field. That's how I see it. I've never been interested in dinosaurs or animatronics, so I won't be going through it. It's that simple.

I really do not understand this marketing strategy. Has KI decided they don't want thrillseekers at the park? KI has far more than enough family rides and family attractions. I speak for all adrenaline junkies out there when I say I wanted to see something that would test my limits. I will ride flats and enjoy food and shows too, but leisurely activities are not the majority of what I want to do at an amusement park. I enjoy family-related activities as much as the next person, but those are everywhere you look in our society.. it's not many places you go these days that have attractions that leave you breathless.

For the people who want to argue that "it's not all about big rides and thrills" ..that's merely an opinion. To each their own. As a business, you have to consider your audiences and appropriately offer attractions to please every customer that walks through the gates.. KI is not doing that right now.

I will be there on opening day simply because friends will be there.. but otherwise, you will find me at CP.. they know what's up. Nothing better than a full hour of ERT on Maverick, Millennium Force, and Raptor every day of the season (and special ride nights for passholders!) to make the amount you paid for your platinum pass worth it.. they aren't cheap (I paid full price for mine, $165), and we have every right to complain when certain things aren't given to us as additional benefits after a wallet pinch of that magnitude.

True in many ways.

I do agree that it's like, problem after problem develops, and instead of solving it, they just build a replacement without bothering to remove the ailing attraction. Think of the additions we've had without any action (reconstruction or demolition) taken toward Son of Beast: Firehawk, Diamondback, Planet Snoopy, Boo Blasters, WindSeeker, and Dinosaurs Alive.

And in that same span of time, what has become of the world's largest top spin?

While I can't say that I know the emotions of other park goers, I can personally say that I would happily forego WindSeeker and / or Dinosaurs Alive (maybe even Firehawk) to at least make some headway on the outstanding problems. Perhaps it's not that simple. But couldn't we have had 10 less animatronic dinosaurs and put that small fraction of this year's income towards The Crypt? Just think of all that could be done to that ride with a fifth of Dinosaurs Alive's budget... Really.

And one truly can't help but wonder what the condition of Dinosaurs Alive, WindSeeker, Planet Snoopy, and Boo Blasters will be in 5, 10, 15 years... Will their much-needed budget be instead be channeled into a "distraction attraction" as it were?

And one truly can't help but wonder what the condition of Dinosaurs Alive, WindSeeker, Planet Snoopy, and Boo Blasters will be in 5, 10, 15 years... Will their much-needed budget be instead be channeled into a "distraction attraction" as it were?

Definitely a good point. We all know that when something small breaks, nothing is done, and when a lot of small things break, nothing is done. I really hope that whatever they decide to do here is something that they can keep committed to, otherwise we'll have nothing but a bunch of broken dinos in 10 years.

The more I think about this the more I think something should have been done with Son of Beast. I mean it's pretty obvious that it's not going to ever reopen at this point, and the thought of them bringing the loop back is even more ridiculous. Let's tear it down and get the area looking right again, instead of having a huge SBNO wooden coaster dominating the skyline of the park. Now we'll have another year of it just sitting there, and seeing how much was spent on Dinosaurs Alive, I doubt it will be taken down next year.

The park added WindSeeker for thrill seekers, and Dinosaurs Alive for families, all in the same year. You can hardly say thrill seekers are getting "gypped". Take a look at the Kings Island timeline and tell me what happened between 2003 and 2006. 2003, a family attraction (Scooby Doo) and a thrill ride (Delirirum) were added. 2004 waterpark was upgraded, also not for thrill seekers, 2005 Italian Job opened also for families. 2006 Nick Universe transition is made, also for families.

That's all Kings Island was adding, was family attractions after Tomb Raider ( except for Delirium), until Cedar Fair bought the park and added Firehawk in 2007.

If you are taking the approach of "Isn't there enough for pre-teens and families to do already?", then couldn't the same thing be said about thrill seekers? Couldn't someone easily say "Isn't there enough for thrillseekers already??

I just don't get why people are stuck in the mentality that Kings Island should only add stuff that caters to their personal wants. Kings Island needs to add a big variety of things. When Firehawk and Diamondback were the two major attractions added consecutively in 2007 then 2009 (because nothing was added in 2008 I don't think) people were complaining that the park had too many thrill rides and that they need to add more family rides. When will people ever be happy with a compromise? Thrill seekers get Diamondback in 2009 and WindSeeker in 2011. Families get Planet Snoopy in 2010 and Dinosaurs Alive! in 2011.

Oh and as for people not being interested in Dinosaurs Alive!, I am 18 and I am actually excited for it :lol: . I have loved dinosaurs since I saw Jurassic Park when I was like 6 years old. That's what Kings Island is for, gong to to become a kid again and just have fun. So I am actually going to enjoy Dinosaurs Alive

I really do not understand this marketing strategy. Has KI decided they don't want thrillseekers at the park? KI has far more than enough family rides and family attractions. I speak for all adrenaline junkies out there when I say I wanted to see something that would test my limits.

Well here's the thing. The same argument could be made both ways. One could say that KI has far more than enough thrills for adrenaline junkies. And as far as something that test's your limit - they are installing a 300 ft. ride where your feet dangle. WindSeeker may seem "tame" from the video, but I suspect it's going to be quite more thrilling than most think.

I will ride flats and enjoy food and shows too, but leisurely activities are not the majority of what I want to do at an amusement park. I enjoy family-related activities as much as the next person, but those are everywhere you look in our society.. it's not many places you go these days that have attractions that leave you breathless. For the people who want to argue that "it's not all about big rides and thrills" ..that's merely an opinion. To each their own.

I think you countered your own argument here, desiring more thrill rides is an opinion also and opinions are just that.

As a business, you have to consider your audiences and appropriately offer attractions to please every customer that walks through the gates.. KI is not doing that right now.

On the contrary, I think they're doing exactly that. We are all merely guests and do not have the information to the demographics of park-goers and how they spend their nickels. Two years ago, Kings Island made one of their biggest additions in history with a roller coaster that is tall, fast, reliable and cranks thousands of people through an hour. Not to mention, it seemed to be quite the success with the general public and enthusiasts alike. Last year they re-modeled and spruced up the kids area and this year they added a family attraction in addition to a thrill ride. Seems to me like they're considering their audience and appropriately offering attractions to try and please every customer that walks through the gates.

I will be there on opening day simply because friends will be there.. but otherwise, you will find me at CP.. they know what's up. Nothing better than a full hour of ERT on Maverick, Millennium Force, and Raptor every day of the season (and special ride nights for passholders!) to make the amount you paid for your platinum pass worth it.. they aren't cheap (I paid full price for mine, $165), and we have every right to complain when certain things aren't given to us as additional benefits after a wallet pinch of that magnitude.

Being that we're friends and I know you're a seasoned veteran of parks who has experienced many coasters, I can't say I'm surprised to see you'll be claiming to go to CP more often. Not that that's a bad thing at all. CP is a great park and I definitely see where their selection of rides caters more to your liking. It's been discussed many times though that the enthusiast community doesn't make up the primary guest. There was once a time when rival companies and parks across the country kept building and building and building the tallest, fastest and meanest - some GREAT (and some Not-So-Great) rides came out of that, but it did little for attendance numbers and most parks began shifting towards aiming at families. I think KI has found a nice balance of recently offering attractions that cater to a wide range of guests, which is in their best business interest.

And just for clarification, the Ruth Voss walk back wasn't always part of an ERT. Prior to Diamondback's instillation, it literally was a walk back where members of the American Coaster Enthusiasts were brought back to be the first riders of the day. Aside from rare occasions, the attendees only got to line up first and the ride still didn't open until 10 A.M.

I do agree that it's like, problem after problem develops, and instead of solving it, they just build a replacement without bothering to remove the ailing attraction. Think of the additions we've had without any action (reconstruction or demolition) taken toward Son of Beast: Firehawk, Diamondback, Planet Snoopy, Boo Blasters, WindSeeker, and Dinosaurs Alive.

I can understand how frustrated some must be with not hearing any word on Son of Beast. I also appreciate that you at least can put forth an opinion on it that is much more articulate than the folks commenting on facebook about it. However, the park did release a press statement saying that the general manager was not happy with its performance ( http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/oxford-news/son-of-beast-wont-open-this-season-607408.html ) and being discussed in another topic: there is still pending litigation involving the ride. The ride has definitely been more of a detriment to the park's reputation than a help since it opened. I'm sure no one in the company wants to see a ride go unused or see guests unhappy about it, but they're going to do what they feel is best for their money. Maybe right now they don't have any plausible options for it, maybe they're waiting, who knows.

And lets be honest, and even you pointed it out in another thread, that ride was rough and I mean ROUGH. What are we really missing?

And in that same span of time, what has become of the world's largest top spin?

While I can't say that I know the emotions of other park goers, I can personally say that I would happily forego WindSeeker and / or Dinosaurs Alive (maybe even Firehawk) to at least make some headway on the outstanding problems. Perhaps it's not that simple. But couldn't we have had 10 less animatronic dinosaurs and put that small fraction of this year's income towards The Crypt? Just think of all that could be done to that ride with a fifth of Dinosaurs Alive's budget... Really.

I think you answered your own question... it's not that simple. Again, like with Son of Beast, what is in your best business interest? A family friendly dinosaur attraction that you can boast is the world's largest and people of all ages can find interest and participate in (I'm willing to check it out and give it a fair shot) and with all this in addition to the 300' WindSeeker - or continue sinking money into a ride that puts very little people through an hour, still is pretty unreliable and excludes all guests under 54" and guests who don't like thrills?

I've read your posts here, I know your feelings on The Crypt. I rode it the first day it was open to the GP in 2002 and I loved it. Thought it was an incredibly neat concept. Let's be honest though, the theming and "fun" aspect of it lasted maybe a few months. The World's ONLY Giant TopSpin is the ONLY one for a reason. Even with their more "tame" ride cycle, the ride still has a lot of downtime. And who's riding it? Any evening at the park whether it be a Saturday or Wednesday, at least when I've visited the past two seasons, come 9:00 you can walk right into the ride area - there's hardly a wait if one at all.

That's assuming we have inside information into the park/company's budget. No one here does. Who knows if this dinosaur walkthrough has its own maintenance done by the company who constructs it or if the cost of installing it also comes with the cost of paying the outside company to maintain it. I doubt that the Creation Museum, Zoo, Museum Center and other places like this that installed this attraction have experienced handymen to work on animatronics.

Has it been disclosed who actually owns and is responsible for the up keep of the Dinos? I assumed that it was an outside company that would be running the attraction and pocketing most of the income while KI gets a practically free new attraction to promote and draw people to the park.

I think I missed something here...So, she's going to CP because they understand their market better...and market better to it.

What was it again Cedar Point was adding this year?

And is Kings Island adding that too PLUS another attraction?

Would she have been happier if the crown jewel and the Mason park were adding the same attraction but there wasn't an ADDITION of a dinosaur attraction to the Mason park?

And isn't this the same person who is always telling us how her friends are ops at that place in Sandusky, and how important that is to her?

Put another way, if the dinosaur attraction had not been added at Kings Island, she'd have been happier?

Really?

My head hurts.

Separately:

Has it been disclosed who actually owns and is responsible for the up keep of the Dinos? I assumed that it was an outside company that would be running the attraction and pocketing most of the income while KI gets a practically free new attraction to promote and draw people to the park.

...and also assuming the risk of loss whilst Cedar Fair/Kings Island is guaranteed at least a set sum with some upside potential?

Terp, who has seen that done (concessionaire anyone?)

I like the idea but, couldn't you just see all the dinos from a ride?

I can hear the fireworks of Great American Ballpark from my porch where I can sit and watch a Reds game on tv. The beer is also cheaper and there's air conditioning, yet I still went to 30 home games last season and 3 away games. It was worth every penny.

Laser Tag was highly successful for many years.

The helicopter tours, by all accounts, were not that successful, and are thus no longer there. I doubt Paramount Parks lost anything on that, but the operator....

The EuroBungee is now the bubbles thing...and it seemed to have done some business last year....

You know I thought this over, and being in a family with a variety of ages, if a family were to go to that end of the park, everyone would have something to do. The younger children and those who dont want to ride the WindSeeker, would have to wait for an hour or so, or seperate the group. Having this attraction nearby, would relieve some of the unnessary traffic of viewers (not riders) and give them something to do while they wait for their thrill junkies to finish their ride on WindSeeker. Think about what is there to do on that side of the park for children less than 5 years old, little to nothing. Its a good choice, and it prevents families from having to split up into two different parts of the park.

You know I thought this over, and being in a family with a variety of ages, if a family were to go to that end of the park, everyone would have something to do. The younger children and those who dont want to ride the WindSeeker, would have to wait for an hour or so, or seperate the group. Having this attraction nearby, would relieve some of the unnessary traffic of viewers (not riders) and give them something to do while they wait for their thrill junkies to finish their ride on WindSeeker. Think about what is there to do on that side of the park for children less than 5 years old, little to nothing. Its a good choice, and it prevents families from having to split up into two different parts of the park.

You bring up a good point. And to think that at that end of the park last season there wasn't much going on. A closed food stand, some games that were sporadically open, Vortex and Spongebob. Now you have a new 300' thrill ride, a good coaster, this new dinosaur walkthrough and the whole area has been cosmetically touched up.

I think I'm gonna chime in here with my opinion on the subject:

First off, I like the addition. A lot. While I myself may only truly enjoy it 2 or 3 times (Not just because of the fee but because of the type of attraction) I have a feeling there will be a lot of happy families this year. It looks very well done and very cool, and I think it's gonna be pretty successful with it's target market.

Secondly, I do like that Kings Island is adding something like this, and not another roller coaster or thrill ride. While I personally would have been happier with the latter, the former makes much more sense. Let's face it, if Kings Island didn't have the thrill seeker / teenage market locked in before, they did in 2009 with Diamondback. We've got Diamondback, Flight of Fear, Vortex, Racer, Beast, Invertigo, Firehawk, Delirium, Xtreme Skyflyer, Drop Tower, etc. I think Kings Island is pretty safe in not catering to the teen market for a while. Not to mention this year we're adding WindSeeker, which I'm really excited about, and I personally believe is not given near the credit it is due in the enthusiast circles. I think Kings Island is right in going for the family market these past two years with Planet Snoopy and Dinosaurs Alive! If anything, know that in 2012 Diamondback will be 3 years old and we will be prime for a new thrill ride or coaster.

Also, I don't think Kings Island overhyped this. If you were spending tons of money to add a huge new 12 acre attraction to your park, which is expected to draw tons of families in, wouldn't you want people to know about it? You can't really criticize them for what they did, they got attention their way for a new addition. The fact that it wasn't what you particularly expected or wanted it to be doesn't make it any more or less correct that they did so.

As for the upcharge...well...I do think $5 is a little high, but I can understand the existence of the up charge in the first place. You gotta make a profit somehow. And unlike the ridiculously high food and drink prices, I do think people will actually pay for it. I mean come on, $5 won't even buy you a basket of chicken fingers at Festhaus.

Overall, very happy with the addition and happy with Kings Island overall. Can't wait for April 30! :)

As a season pass holder and buyer of 4 passes, I was very frustrated at the 5 dollar charge, we will probably do it one time, and that will do it, When your multiplying by 4, the costs add up, I was also disappointed that the announcement wasn't a new mega coaster rivaling The dragster. wasn't even the Son of Beast. So it was a let down, As an adult , I really am not to pumped up for This attraction. and my 13 and 16 year old could care less, they wanted a dragster. I love Kings Island, but Cedar Point is better, Just the facts as i see it. Don't the pre teen Kids have enough at Kings Island already , with the award winning kids area, and the swimming area. Come on, bring on the Coasters.

I agree not even the Pre-teen kids are going to like this, think more along the lines of 2ish-9ish year olds

my 2 year old cried at snoopy, so no way we would even go on the walk with him, It would not be a pleasant experience, The more you break this down, and consider the pos/neg, I don't see the up side. Last year on 3 occasions within a month, Invertigo ,delerium , Son of Beast as always, and the viking ship, were down, and on one day add Flight of Fear to that. My point is, WindSeeker looks great and it will add to the park, but they need more thrill rides, Coasters , Coasters. Coasters, to replace S.o.B., If you look at Cedar Point Objectively compared to to Kings Island, Kings Island has Nothing That Competes with the millenium ,dragster, and maverick, Really on The Beast is Unique, and certainly A big plus Kings Island, Diamondback was a great start, but they need something big and ground breaking. If Cedar Point was the same distance away, I would go there 9 times out of ten.

You do realize the same company owns both Kings Island and Cedar Point...and with both being in Ohio, there is a strong theory that they need to complement each other, not be the same as each other....

As long as you go to Cedar Point or to Kings Island, Mr. Kinzel & Associates earn nickels either way....

Yes, but by that theory, it is a little odd that both Kings Island AND Cedar Point are getting WindSeeker, in the same season. Both are the same ride. Doesn`t exactly scream that they are trying to complement each other. Instead, it screams sameness.

Yes, but I think that mo dual, the manufacturer won't give out that big of a discount for buying four attractions at once. There could have been a discount though. Getting four rods to manufacture at once is a lot more work than just building one..

I would like to make an observation about all the speculation of DA coming to KI. I went back to the beginning of the 97+ page thread about this and noticed something interesting:

"Shaggy" started the thread, and in post #3 wrote "Just a guess, but it may be something as simple as one of those animatronic dinosaur walk-throughs."

From now on, I'm just going to believe what "Shaggy" posts, save myself 90 pages and hours of speculation!

You sir either have serious insider connections (maybe even the Don in disguise), or are an amazing psychic.

Well played, much respect to you!!!

On topic:

My wife and I can only go on weekends, so we're hoping this attraction will thin out some of the coaster lines. I hope everyone that's excited about this is not disappointed and have a good time.

We're pretty much indifferent.

Maybe for the 40th anniversary they'll switch out Spongebob movie for the Dino one.

I want to look at what some are saying as to who the audience of Kings Island is. The regular customers who go every week and sometimes daily ARE the THRILLSEEKERS! Businesses that are the most successful are those who cater to repeat business and keep their regular customers coming back as often as possible. By adding an upcharge attraction that does NOT appeal to the majority of their regular coaster riders and taking away our ERT that we DID pay for is NOT doing that! I will be coming less this year as a result, they're already driving away their repeat customers. With a bad economy and CF already up to their eyeballs in debt, I'm not sure why they've chosen to anger the people who they count on most!