Dinosaurs Alive! is coming to Kings Island in 2011

Actually, I doubt these dang dinosaurs are gonna bring in anymore people than normal. And as far as that wind thing, it's one of those once you've ridden it once, you've ridden it a thousand times kind of thing.

Even if the dinosaur attraction does not bring in more people than normal (althought I too doubt that is true), it WILL bring in more money ;) Some of the people who will come to the park regardless will, undoubtedly, pay to do the walkthrough :) And I am one of those people :D

Will it bring in more people? Perhaps. Will it bring in more money? Probably.

Does it give the guests of KI another entertainment option?

Absolutely.

I have DirecTV. I have the expanded package, and pay extra for it. I also have HBO/ CineMax & NFL Sunday Ticket and pay extra for those as well.

I do not see a difference between the options DTV gives me for more money vs. the options KI gives me for more money.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading CedarPointer's definitions of an enthusiast and families I was THRILLED to EASILY fall into the family catagory. I don't know why...but I don't like being thrown into the enthusiast catagory. (Maybe because we have been told over and over how little their opinions mean.)

I was all happy until the Interpreter said most families weren't "hyper-critical"...my family is...so now i'm not sure what I am. :huh:

As I said, I was generalizing quite a bit there. I would consider most people on this site to be at least somewhat enthusiasts, but I think there's definitely multiple categories of enthusiasts- I have met some who were absolutely awesome and I had great chats with (it totally makes my day when people don't just bark out an order at me), and I've met some who nearly throw money at me. And I think families tend to be hyper-critical about different things than enthusiasts, at least from what I've seen and overheard.

Trust me, families can be that way, too. I once heard some poor employee being berated by a woman who apparently had gone into the employee break area to ask where something was, and it sounded like she was told in no uncertain terms that she was NOT allowed back there. I feel bad for what some people have to put up with. sad.gif

haha, don't forget that one from fourth of july weekend! :P

i still cannot believe she was going to report us to the local news.

I think I missed something here...So, she's going to CP because they understand their market better...and market better to it.

What was it again Cedar Point was adding this year?

And is Kings Island adding that too PLUS another attraction?

Would she have been happier if the crown jewel and the Mason park were adding the same attraction but there wasn't an ADDITION of a dinosaur attraction to the Mason park?

And isn't this the same person who is always telling us how her friends are ops at that place in Sandusky, and how important that is to her?

Put another way, if the dinosaur attraction had not been added at Kings Island, she'd have been happier?

Really?

My head hurts.

Cedar Point at least fixes their broken rides before spending money to add a new one.

Dragster has thrown how many metal shards sky high?

Millennium Force's lift cable snapped in two and they had it fixed within a matter of days.

Mean Streak caught on fire.

Two of Magnum's trains collided and it opened the next day.

All four coasters will be operational for the 2011 season.

then

SOB has two accidents in a three year time frame and it's closed for how many months/years?

What is wrong with that picture?

Yes, I'm aware that CP and KI are both adding WindSeeker, and that KI is getting a dino walk.

Yes, I would have been happier because CP takes every park I've ever been to and stomps it like a bug.

Yes, and I do not see how this is relevant to my post.

That's the same question twice.

Yes, really. ;)

Excedrin is amazing for headaches. I've also noticed that the generic works just as well as the name brand. Hope you feel better.

Separately:

I do not appreciate these posts from others labeling all thrillseekers and enthusiasts as penny pinching cooler carriers who refuse to spend money in the park. That's complete bull and it's generalizing. I didn't think that kind of narrow minded attitude was tolerated here.

If some of you are trying to get me to stop posting here, you're doing a terrific job. There ARE ways to post your opinion without being completely judgmental about it.

I'm a thrillseeker and I'm proud to be one. I probably have far more guts than some of you ever will. Get over it.

Actually, I doubt these dang dinosaurs are gonna bring in anymore people than normal. And as far as that wind thing, it's one of those once you've ridden it once, you've ridden it a thousand times kind of thing.

a. I bet you are wrong about your first part.

b. As to WindSeeker, you know this HOW exactly? Many people said the same thing about Flying Eagles. And most of the ones who said that hadn't ridden them, either.

There's no cables to snap on WindSeeker. The Flying Eagles was always a different experience, because you never knew where you were going to get a snap or how much

of a snap, but when you did, it was AMAZING! I'd ride that ride a million times a day over WindSeeker, as you well KNOW Terpy! :)

I think I missed something here...So, she's going to CP because they understand their market better...and market better to it.

What was it again Cedar Point was adding this year?

And is Kings Island adding that too PLUS another attraction?

Would she have been happier if the crown jewel and the Mason park were adding the same attraction but there wasn't an ADDITION of a dinosaur attraction to the Mason park?

And isn't this the same person who is always telling us how her friends are ops at that place in Sandusky, and how important that is to her?

Put another way, if the dinosaur attraction had not been added at Kings Island, she'd have been happier?

Really?

My head hurts.

Cedar Point at least fixes their broken rides before spending money to add a new one.

Dragster has thrown how many metal shards sky high?

Millennium Force's lift cable snapped in two and they had it fixed within a matter of days.

Mean Streak caught on fire.

Two of Magnum's trains collided and it opened the next day.

All four coasters will be operational for the 2011 season.

then

SOB has two accidents in a three year time frame and it's closed for how many months/years?

What is wrong with that picture?

Yes, I'm aware that CP and KI are both adding WindSeeker, and that KI is getting a dino walk.

Yes, I would have been happier because CP takes every park I've ever been to and stomps it like a bug.

Yes, and I do not see how this is relevant to my post.

That's the same question twice.

Yes, really. ;)

Excedrin is amazing for headaches. I've also noticed that the generic works just as well as the name brand. Hope you feel better.

Separately:

I do not appreciate these posts from others labeling all thrillseekers and enthusiasts as penny pinching cooler carriers who refuse to spend money in the park. That's complete bull and it's generalizing. I didn't think that kind of narrow minded attitude was tolerated here.

If some of you are trying to get me to stop posting here, you're doing a terrific job. There ARE ways to post your opinion without being completely judgmental about it.

I'm a thrillseeker and I'm proud to be one. I probably have far more guts than some of you ever will. Get over it.

Last I checked, when a ride breaks down at KI, it is usually fixed that day or soon after. Of course things happen with a ride like Delirium when it might be longer because they have to order in parts from overseas. The Crypt works. No, it might not have some fantastic ride cycle, but it runs. It might break down often, but it DOES get fixed. With SOB, as has been stated, there is ongoing litigation involving that ride. Maybe KI is waiting for that to end. Maybe KI is thinking about possible ways to fix it. If they have decided they will do nothing to try to fix it and never want it to run again, would you rather them spend the money to demolish it (and that possibly prevent a ride like WindSeeker or a future coaster from being built) or leave is SBNO?

Why would you have been happier if they didn't add Dinosaurs Alive?

When people made posts labeling thrill seekers/enthusiasts, they DID say they were generalizing and it didn't apply to everyone in that group…

a. I bet you are wrong about your first part.

b. As to WindSeeker, you know this HOW exactly? Many people said the same thing about Flying Eagles. And most of the ones who said that hadn't ridden them, either.

There's no cables to snap on WindSeeker. The Flying Eagles was always a different experience, because you never knew where you were going to get a snap or how much

of a snap, but when you did, it was AMAZING! I'd ride that ride a million times a day over WindSeeker, as you well KNOW Terpy! :)

Take a trip to Carowinds :P

'gigacoaster2k' timestamp[/b]='1300568828' post='420793']

Separately:

My checklist post was just my attempt at humor. :)

The only "thrillseekers" who these statements should offend are the ones that it rings true with. If you are not one of those you should be able to laugh it off. (Just like the majority of "normal" ACE members must do.)

My checklist post was just my attempt at humor. :)

The only "thrillseekers" who these statements should offend are the ones that it rings true with. If you are not one of those you should be able to laugh it off. (Just like the majority of "normal" ACE members must do.)

I just hope everyone doesn't think that way. I still buy souvenirs at parks I've been going to for years. I have so many hoodies, ride photos, snowglobes, keychains, etc from so many parks.. I also love the food at KI and will gladly drop cash at LaRosa's or for one of those amazing Dippin Dots sundaes. I do bring a cooler, but I'm ALWAYS hungry and end up eating in the park even after I've devoured my entire lunch. :P

edit: you know, I've had a little more time to reflect on all this. My mind will most likely change on opening day when I see the park again.. I haven't seen it since October of last year. Seeing a park again after months away from it seems to have an effect on me. Last year, Kings Dominion was the first park I visited.. as the gates opened and we walked down I-Street, I was suddenly emotional. It looked so much like Kings Island, not to mention I was walking with several friends from KI.. I was wiping tears from my eyes at the sudden shock of wonderful memories with friends.

Maybe I'll cave and go through this dino walk. I'm still undecided on what I think of WindSeeker as I've never been on anything like it. Who knows.. I believe I will reserve further judgment until I see it for myself, and that's my final word on the subject until KI opening day.

I can see that most people are crying about a whole 5.00. So let me ask this. How many of the people who are crying would drop an easy 5.00 on a game, another upcharge thing like the go carts, the bungie cord stuff or spend a ton of money in the gift shop? I know most on here and Facebook would. The 5.00 maybe going to help with the upkeep or for the park to get something back on this Dino Alive walk. They could of just charged more to get into the park because of this. And i can see those who are crying walking though the dang thing anyway. The park tries to put something new in, and they get heck for it. Grow up people.

Trust me, families can be that way, too. I once heard some poor employee being berated by a woman who apparently had gone into the employee break area to ask where something was, and it sounded like she was told in no uncertain terms that she was NOT allowed back there. I feel bad for what some people have to put up with. sad.gif

I heard a parent with a kid cuss out a worker in Guest Services. I ask her if she had any sence at all to act like an adult because her kid was beside her. She tried to tell me something and i said that you may want to make sure you tell the guy behind you who maybe here to walk you out of the park. They had called the KI police on her. Lol.

I don't know if that was pointed at me, but...

(and yes, I am aware that I am generalizing. I'm sure that some enthusiasts are quite profitable, but from what I've observed, the majority might not be)

Just pointing that out...

(and if it wasn't, my apologies)

I heard a parent with a kid cuss out a worker in Guest Services. I ask her if she had any sence at all to act like an adult because her kid was beside her. She tried to tell me something and i said that you may want to make sure you tell the guy behind you who maybe here to walk you out of the park. They had called the KI police on her. Lol.

well, what made the woman i was referring to so funny was the fact that i didn't (nor have i ever) work at the park, yet she was determined to have me fired.

Yes, people can do some pretty crazy things. Oh the stories I can tell. I was once called a "Nazi" for enforcing the park rules. And I once responded to a complaint, as a manager, with a guest claiming that a worker was discriminating with their enforcement of the height requirement based on the color of the skin. Those are just a few of the examples that I've experienced at Coney over the years. And yes, I have been cussed out before. It is really ashame that these parents will act this way in front of their kids...

Well I'll say it again. All of us can complain and give our opinions on here all we want but it's really not going to change anything that the park is doing.. What percentage are we of the people who visit KI every year? Less then 1% I'm guessing. So unless you can convince the other 99% of park guests to boycott this. I suggest you shut up and deal with it... B) Sk8er out....

The way parents act in front of their kids is unbelievable. Even how they will almost make their child cry because of small things. I once had some parents who, while they bought themselves drinks and fries with their food, wouldn't pay the extra money (I can't remember the amount, but I think it was less than $.50) for their young daughter to get cheese on her hot dog. It totally broke my heart, it was easy to tell that she really wanted it. :(

Because most amusement parks used to be spectacularly lit at night. It was part of the attraction of staying until it got dark. I still enjoy riding rides like Scrambler and Monster at night, even Zephyr and the Carousel, because of all the lights that they have. That was also one thing I liked about the 10pm closes that we had at Coney on Saturdays the last few seasons. Unfortunately, not enough people stuck around at Coney on those Saturday nights, so we are back to 9pm closes Friday through Sunday. With one exception, and that is July 3rd for the Balloon Glow, when the rides will stay open until 11pm, right through the 10pm fireworks!

I'm not pro or con with regards to the addition. But I do wonder, "Am I alone in asking, 'Why Dinosaurs?'" It just seems odd and feels like it doesn't fit at all with the park. Is this just me?

As several have noted, there is the proposed amusement park in Northern Kentucky to be considered. This may well be part of a pro-active preemptive response by Cedar Fair/Kings Island.

See, for instance:

http://www.KICentral...96

Not a big deal, some say?

Il 26 maggio 2011, quando aprirà il più grande parco dei dinosauri animatronici del mondo, i visitatori di Kings Island avranno l'occasione di fare un passo indietro nel tempo nel periodo compreso tra i 245 ed i 65 milioni di anni fa. Più di 60 dinosauri a grandezza naturale saranno esposti in Dinosaurs Alive! presso Kings Island, di cui 56 modelli saranno animatronici, il tutto in nella spettacolare cornice naturale della foresta giurassica.

Il parco multi-sensoriale ed interattivo dei dinosauri porta insieme ispirazione, scienza e tecnologia a Kings Island, luogo in cui gli ospiti potranno anche ascoltare i suoni e vedere i movimenti delle oltre 60 creazioni full-size, di cui la maggior parte animatroniche, capaci di replicare quasi tutte le caratteristiche dei dinosauri. Ciascuno dei dinosauri animatronici è scolpito a mano e rivestito con materiali in similpelle....

The news has traveled to Italy!

VERY nice pictures, too (from the release)

http://www.parksmani...d=5313&lang=ita

I liked the days when KI was a leader.

As a SoB fan, I couldnt agree with you more ;)

How'd that work out? Or Hypersonic XLC at KD? Seems some of those leading things cost some people their jobs...we could ask Jane Cooper...who's probably a lot happier where she is now anyway...Would she do it again? I know Dolly would.

Same here.

I personally will spend the money a few times to ride, based on when I can get the money to do so. I may not be a dino-fan, but feel that the dinos are a great thing to see. I admit that it is a strange thing to add, especially to Coney Mall, but how much stranger is it than Crypt or BLSC? (I won't mention DB.) And unless anyone here was hoping for something to go out there like an X-Base expansion in a few years what's the problem? Having Reptar out front may get Annoying, but he's it. And the cost is still lower than most things in the park. It's actually just $1.50 more than the vending machines. If you complain about the size of your family think of how many won't want to go anyways, then about how many of them either go once/twice a year or only want to go through it once or twice. $40 - $60 a year isn't that much. That's equivilant to paying 11-16 cents a day. I don't see the big deal.

BTW, am I the only one that remembers a Dinosaurs Alive attraction at the Museum Center a couple years ago?