First Trip to Cedar Point 10/31/10

Delirium13

I know it's almost been 5 months, but I am just now taking the time to report on my first ever trip to Cedar Point this past Halloween. I wish I had pictures to go witht eh report, but I do not so you'll just have to use you imagination. ;) Oh and this will probably be a tad long and I apologize if I draw a lot of comparisons between Kings Island and Cedar Point, I couldn't help myself when I was there and I'll include some in this trip report.

So anyways, after a long drive and getting partially lost (I was not driving, so I don't take the blame for that!) we finally could see Cedar Point's awesome coaster skyline looming at the end of the causeway, I was beyond excited. I want to add a disclaimer to some of my ride opinions in this report: I had the misfortune of not feeling the greatest the day I visited and that mixed with the cold weather affected my nausea tolerance for some rides, and I feel there were a few rides I would've enjoyed much more otherwise.

Back to the report! As we entered the park we were greeted by the sounds of Raptor whooshing along its track, which got me even more excited for the day, and a whole lot of concrete, definitely not as grand of an entrance as Kings Island, but I was ready to ride some coasters! First up was of course Raptor, only had to wait about 15-20 minutes and sat in the back. It was a very fun ride, my only complaint is that last turn before the brakes is killer. I'd give it a 7/10, a good start to the day.

After Raptor we made our way over to Blue Streak. I was disappointed by Blue Streak for a reason that doesn't happen often for me on coasters, I didn't feel safe. I know it's a smaller ride and I'm sure everything was fine but when I was on it, the way we could actually feel the bottom wheels of our car hit the bottom of the track and how my restraint wobbled didn't seem right to me or the other people with us. It seemed like it could've been a fun ride but I didn't enjoy myself, 3/10.

Next, we made our way over to Maxair which was cold and not different enough from Delirium for me to notice, 6.5/10 After that we rode Wicked Twister which was good ride for what it was, 7/10, and Disaster Transport which was pretty 'meh', 5/10.

After Disaster Transport it was time to eat so we went to Johnny Rockets. The last time I had a good experience at Johhny Rockets was probably when I was 10, ever since it has always been disappointing and pricey and I don't know why I thought it would be any different in an amusement park. It has its charms, like when the servers dance to different songs that come on, but the service was bad, the food wasn't good, and of course it was pretty expensive (not terribly expensive, but still).

After that wonderful dining experience it was time to start riding again, we made our way to the back of the park, took a look at Shoot the Rapids which looked nice, and rode Iron Dragon, which umm.... yeah 3/10. It creaked and didn't ride as smoothly as Flight Deck and was just boring. After that we made our way to what became my favorite ride at the park, Maverick. I like everything about that ride: the layout, the speed, the look of it, that first drop, just everything with that ride was awesome to me. I would love for Kings Island to get something like this, maybe incorporating the terrain. I rode in the front seat the first time and later on futher back in the train, both rides were a 10/10. Amazing and only had to wait 30 minutes both times.

This is where I started to not feel great (the following ride opinions in this paragraph would probably have been different had I been feeling better). We rode Skyhawk, seemed like it could've been fun but I just wanted to get off because I didn't feel good, 5/10. Skyhawk was followed by Gemini, which I just found to be painful, especially the very end, 3/10. After that was Cedar Creek Mine Ride which was okay, 5/10 and Magnum XL-200. Magnum was pretty fun, only complaint is that my restraint got really tight towards the end and hurt my leg, 6.5/10.

Next up was Top Thrill Dragster. It had been a while since I was nervous before a ride, but Top Thrill Dragster made me feel that way. After a wait of 45 minutes (the longest wait of the day), I sat down in the front seat and waited for the countdown to send us off. After what seemed like forever we launched! It was absolutely amazing, a very fun but short ride. 9.5/10

It was beginning to get dark when we got on Mantis which was alright, but a little bit painful. You would think it would've been better than how I remember King Cobra, but it was not, 6/10.

After Mantis we got in line for Millennium Force. My first ride ever on Millennium Force and it was at night in the front row, it was awesome! A very fast and smooth ride, 10/10, barely gets beat out by Maverick as my favorite.

After Millennium Force we had about an two hours or so left and had ridden everything we wanted to. Halloweekends was beginning and we went through a very well done scare zone, can't remember which one, and through CornStalkers which I think was down in their raft ride's trenches. It had a few good scares. We rode Maverick a second time and then I wanted to check out their Toy Factory haunted house, but instead we rode Top Thrill Dragster again (not that I'm complaining about that!). After that final ride on Top Thrill Dragster it was time to go, a great way to end the night.

Overall, I had a great time and was lucky that my first trip to Cedar Point consisted of mostly walk-ons and I was able to ride most of the coasters. I wish I had been feeling better, but that happens. I really enjoyed my time at Cedar Point, but having said that, I wouldn't Kings Island to become like it (except maybe bringing in coasters like Maverick and Millenium Force). I really love how the rides at Kings Island's rides for the most part sit back off of the midway instead of being completely crammed in there. Maybe I'm just biased because KI is my home park, but I think it has a better atmosphere and is overall a more beautiful park. That being said both parks have their positives and negatives and cannot really be compared. I hope my trip report was at least somewhat enjoyable to read and I apologize if anyone is offended by how I rate a few rides :) . It was a great first trip and I can't wait to get up there again!

I'm glad you had fun at CP your first time!! I wish you would've gotten a chance to ride Demon Drop, that was so much fun. And Chaos...which a lot of people don't like, but i personally loved it! Next time you go if you're feeling better you should check out more of their flats. Matterhorn is a blast, the Giant Wheel offers some great views of the park, and you have to try the "shoot up" side of Power Tower! Their train ride is a lot of fun too, they have really cool theming and have some extras set up back there during HH! I wish you would have tried the Happy Jack's toy factory haunt...I went a couple of years ago and got the crap scared outta me ;) Their version of Massacre Manor is also really cool..I can't remember what the actual name of it is! Thanks for writing that TR, it made me excited for my CP trip this summer!!

I'm glad you had a good time at Cedar Point and wish you had felt better.

Next time, you just gotta ride the kitty. You gotta!

Sorry for the double post...but I just have to say I can't wait for this summer because I'm DEFINITELY going to ride Wildcat this time! I've only been to CP three times and for some reason I've never ridden it. My brother tells me it's fantastic!

Thanks for the comments! I really wish I would've been feeling better, but still had a great time. I really do need to get back up there soon because I really would like to give the rides I didn't enjoy a second chance and check out more of their flats.

Terp, I tried to persuade the group to ride Wildcat because I have read what you and others have said about it, but as with Happy Jack's Toy Factory I was outvoted. :(

There is so much at that place, we were lucky to fit all we could in the amount of time we were there.

After Raptor we made our way over to Blue Streak. I was disappointed by Blue Streak for a reason that doesn't happen often for me on coasters, I didn't feel safe. I know it's a smaller ride and I'm sure everything was fine but when I was on it, the way we could actually feel the bottom wheels of our car hit the bottom of the track and how my restraint wobbled didn't seem right to me or the other people with us. It seemed like it could've been a fun ride but I didn't enjoy myself, 3/10.

For us that remember, those restraints are to tight! Oh how I miss buzz bars. Up stops equal air time, in BS case ejector air. Also did you not ride Cedar Downs?

No I didn't get a chance to ride Cedar Downs or most of the flats for that matter, that's why I'd like to go up again for a couple days maybe and get to experience more.

As for Blue Streak, I'm not normally one to freak out and feel unsafe on coasters, for some reason it didn't feel right to me. And not that the restraint wasn't tight enough, I too would love to ride Blue Streak and all my other favorite woodies with buzz bars, but rather that it felt loose. I'm not an expert on the inner workings of coaster cars, so I'm sure it was fine.

I'm glad you had a good time at Cedar Point and wish you had felt better.

Next time, you just gotta ride the kitty. You gotta!

Sorry for the double post...but I just have to say I can't wait for this summer because I'm DEFINITELY going to ride Wildcat this time! I've only been to CP three times and for some reason I've never ridden it. My brother tells me it's fantastic!

rode it with gator last year, it was fun for a small coaster.