Best Coaster at KI

darkmarkman

If I had gotten to ride The Beast before it was neutered with trims, it might be my favorite at the park. But I am a sucker for large amounts of air time, so my pick goes to Diamondback. As for the kiddie coasters, none compare to the awesomeness that is The Beastie (Woodstock Express).

Which at one point in time, with the old skid brakes, was actually a set of block brakes. In other words, had a train not cleared lift two, those brakes could actually stop a train if need be. Which is why the train never used to slow on the first lift hill like it does now. When they installed the new magnetic brakes, the brake shed no longer was a block brake, so the train on the first lift hill had to wait to be released until the other train cleared the second lift hill.

Which at one point in time, with the old skid brakes, was actually a set of block brakes. In other words, had a train not cleared lift two, those brakes could actually stop a train if need be. Which is why the train never used to slow on the first lift hill like it does now. When they installed the new magnetic brakes, the brake shed no longer was a block brake, so the train on the first lift hill had to wait to be released until the other train cleared the second lift hill.

And the restraint consisted of a single buzz bar, and no raised seat backs or seat dividers, there was real air time on The Racer and an upcharge animal attraction that was actually worth paying for.......

I'll give you my Top 5...

#1-The Beast

Big, fast, wooden, has perhaps the best setting of any coaster ever and is very unique. Adore it. This ride one of the main reasons I look forward to my Kings Island visits. In fact, it's just not #1 at Kings Island...it's my #1 overall.:)

#2-Diamondback

I love this coaster, but do have some mixed feelings for it. Love the first drop and the airtime, the hammerhead is also respectable, but other than this ride just doesn't have much. But yet, those 2 things alone are still good enough to "whoop" most other coasters, and it's good enough for #2.

#3-Vortex

Winning A VERY close battle with FOF and only barley losing to DB, Vortex packs solid airtime on the first drop with incredible intensity and a layout that I feel is BRILLIANT. The pacing is darn near perfect on this thing! The only problem is the headbanging. I wish I could have rode it back in his younger years...PS: 5-1 rules! Without this seat, Vortex loses 3rd place to Flight of Fear.

#4-Flight of Fear

The launch, theming, and 4 inversions in near total darkness are what make me really enjoy this coaster, but yet it still only ranks 4th. Stiff competition, eh? Didn't help that my ride on May 8th 2010 was quite rough. I'd almost compare it to Son of Beast, but...I've never ridden Son of Beast (or Mean Streak, etc) and thus probably don't know what rough is yet...although Flight of Fear did make my back sore all day that day. Weird thing is, my other ride in 2009 was VERY smooth...

#5-Flight Deck

With so many contenders, it was hard to pick #5. Racer and Firehawk were also considered for this spot. But, Flight Deck wins, simply for its crazy swinging and "OH FUDGE!" moments. And it has short lines. Always a plus.

• 2 weeks later...