Action Theater 2011

mikejenkins1

^^ While I shouldn't be feeding the troll, that comment cracks me up.

In a certain poster's opinion; DA is not worthwhile since it is not exciting and he will not grace us with his presence as often due to it, but SB (sfter 9 years) still is thrilling and if it is removed he will grace us even less? Add in the threat of less park visits due to the change in ERT rides, I can't imagine this poster will ever enter the park in 2011.

Seriously, how can anyone possibly please this guy?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvira was a miserable movie for AT...What happened to the good old days. James Bond, Meteor Attack, 7th portal

You obviously never rode Dracula's Haunted Castle in 2004. Nothing will ever hold a candle to the sheer atrocity that was Dracula's Haunted Castle (although Meteor Attack comes in at a close second).

Also, the first 3-D film in AT was 7th Portal in 2001, followed by SpongeBob 3D in 2003. Which needs to finally be put to rest.

Elvira was a miserable movie for AT...What happened to the good old days. James Bond, Meteor Attack, 7th portal

You obviously never rode Dracula's Haunted Castle in 2004. Nothing will ever hold a candle to the sheer atrocity that was Dracula's Haunted Castle (although Meteor Attack comes in at a close second).

Also, the first 3-D film in AT was 7th Portal in 2001, followed by SpongeBob 3D in 2003. Which needs to finally be put to rest.

I did ride Dracula, and yeah that was pretty bad, i forgot about it until you just said something.

Are you sure Days of Thunder was not 3D, i cant really remember.

what was the first 3-d movie at AT?

Days of Thunder...1994

Remember, the theater was actually made for Days of Thunder. The checkered ground outside the theater's entrance is a testament to that. I believe I've heard from people here that there were also cars from the film in the queue. The ride itself was called simply "Days of Thunder" until the film was replaced. Only then did it become known as the "Paramount Action-FX Theater," which indicated that they intended to change up the film. When it was Days of Thunder, it was presented as a permanent attraction.

I did ride Dracula, and yeah that was pretty bad, i forgot about it until you just said something.

Are you sure Days of Thunder was not 3D, i cant really remember.

Days of Thunder and 007: License To Thrill are the only two films that weren't in 3D that played in both sides during the regular season. It wasn't until 2001 with the opening of 7th Portal that Action Theater went with primarily 3D films (although there were a few films recently that were strictly 2D, such as Smash Factory and The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera).

^Korn is correct. The "infield" queue line at DOT was great. They had real cars used in the filming, trucks that they had used to film the action sequences that actually lit up and had mock cameras mounted on the back. I don't remember if they had any under the overhang where they had the spinning floors, but I assume they did. They later had the James Bond memorabilia on those floors that spun around to showcase it to guests. Even when it became James Bond, it was still excellent. Anyone remember that faux jumbotron they had where Q and M briefed you on the mission? I was a total James Bond nerd at the time and absolutely LOVED Action Theatre. It used to be a pretty immersive experience - at least from what I remember. Then again, I was pretty young.

It should be noted though that Days of Thunder, James Bon and all the films prior to 2003 were 2D, not 3D. So to answer the above posters question, AT didn't go 3D until Spongebob and 7th Portal debuted in 2003.

And then there was Smash Factory, which I dearly loved....and no, I am not kidding.

I actually throughly enjoyed that filmed too. It was cheesy, but it was a blast...no pun intended (for those who remember it).

Days of Thunder is my favorite movie to ever grace the Action Theater Screen! I loved that ride, it was my favorite ride at Kings Island for a very long time!

It was one of my favorites too, Cory! One of my best memories of KI was with Days of Thunder. I had ridden it many times, but had never seen the actual film. One week over summer break, my dad rented the movie and I finally saw it. He and I used to have an evening once a season where we'd go to the park, just me and him - no little sisters or extended family and I got to pick all the rides - and we'd actually get to do some pay attractions and share Dippin Dots as a treat. I remember riding Days of Thunder with him and then immediately going to ride the go-karts. I had never ridden them, my parents were always stringent with money and to get to do that was a big deal. I was so into Nascar and that movie at the time that riding the go-karts and seeing the Action FX movie of it was a great memory of not only KI, but my Dad.

Supergreek33 and Boddah1994 may be the only ones who get this - but isn't it kind of ironic after that memory how I now constantly repeat the phrase: "The go-karts are a GREAT way to meet new people?"

Edit: I realize after re-reading that, I made it sound as if my dad was no longer living. He is and we still have a great relationship. My point being in editing this, is that no matter how much things at KI have changed - cherish the time you spend there with family and friends. It's an escape from reality and it should be a place you go to enjoy with yourself and those around you - even if you don't wanna walk through that dinosaur exhibit.

Action Theater Mini Flashback

daysheader.jpg

The original Days of Thunder (Action FX) had Nascar themeing elements including cars and such.

In 1999 came the retheme of the XS Raceway (Go Carts) to Days of Thunder (Go Carts)

Props from the Days of Thunder (Action FX) were moved to Action Zone.

The yellow Kodak NASCAR was placed in front of the entrance to the go carts. It remained there up until around the 2002 season.

crw2820med.jpg

(2001 Photo)

For the 2006 Fearfest season. A new attraction was added (The Worksite) haunted pathway/trail ran from Dodgem to Eiffel Tower. The Kodak Nascar was brought back and repainted to the scheme of a police car to fit the fearfest worksite theme.

canonpkioct212006045.jpg

(2006 Photo)

kisept23rd2007096.jpg

(2007 Photo)

The Nascar/police car was used at the entrance of the Worksite for both 06 and the 07 seasons

kingsislandsept20th2008.jpg

(2008 Photo)

2008 brought a new haunted house (Urgent Scare) and the Nascar/police car was located along the Action Theaters exit path. If you get the chance to see the car you can still make out the text "Kodak" on the trunk. Believe me I've been around this car more then most :rolleyes:

hh3f.jpg

(2009 Photo)

Paramount Prop Plaque located on the passenger side dashboard. The car is just a prop. There is NO engine in the car and never was.

kingsislandoct31st20091.jpg

...In 1999 came the retheme of the XS Raceway (Go Carts) to Days of Thunder (Go Carts)

The yellow Kodak NASCAR was placed in front of the entrance to the go carts. It remained there up until around the 2002 season.

crw2820med.jpg

Notice how long the line is for people wanting to pay for the go-karts!

...In 1999 came the retheme of the XS Raceway (Go Carts) to Days of Thunder (Go Carts)

crw2820med.jpg

Notice how long the line is for people wanting to pay for the go-karts!

That looks to a very crowded day the King Cobra line was over flowing.

The yellow Kodak NASCAR was placed in front of the entrance to the go carts.

[...]

The Kodak Nascar was brought back and repainted to the scheme of a police car to fit the fearfest worksite theme.

[...]

The Nascar/police car was used at the entrance of the Worksite for both 06 and the 07 seasons

[...]

and the Nascar/police car was located along the Action Theaters exit path.

Off-topic, but as a NASCAR fan, this is two of my biggest pet peeves. First, "Nascar" is incorrect; it is always fully capitalized as "NASCAR" because it is an acronym for National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. Second, it is incorrect to refer to the race car used in NASCAR racing as a "NASCAR"; the correct term is "stock car", "NASCAR race car", or something along those lines. Unlike "IndyCar", "NASCAR" refers only to the sanctioning body and never to the car itself.

I never knew George Clinton did a cover of Walk The Dinosaur. I don't even remember hearing that song in the "Mario Brothers" movie, but then again, I only saw it once when it was brand new and still in the movie theater. I remember thinking that it sucked.

As much as I enjoy SpongeBob (both TV and the Ride) I think it's about time we get a new movie. It's coming on 10 years soon; I don't think anyone watches a movie for that long. Plus they have removed the Nick theming. I'm sure they don't want to keep it. I mean that would involve actually thinking about what (most) everyone still watches!

A separate company owns the Spongebob movie you see in the Action Theater, so even though they got rid of the rest of their Nick themeing, they were not forced to get rid of the Spongebob movie. If the movie is still attracting customers and guests still enjoy it, there is no reason for them to purchase a new movie.

We have to remember that we as enthusiasts make up an incredibly small percent of the guests that Kings Island sees every day. While our opinion still matters to them, they are trying to please the general public, not the enthusiasts. If the public is happy, the park is going to continue to do what they are doing.