Action Theater 2011

mikejenkins1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides, a nine year contract would've been unprecedented, given other films in the theater lasting from one month to two or three seasons tops... They couldn't have (and shouldn't have) anticipated the popularity of Spongebob Squarepants lasting this long. It would've been contrary to much that happened at the park prior.

Just so you guys know, the film was created and is owned by SimEx-Iwerks, the same folks behind films such as Smash Factory, Fun House Express, and the Dino Island series:

http://www.simex-iwerks.com/Default.asp?id=4&l=1&mcat_rec=26&mcat_gid=3&mcat_pid=13&mcat_cid=0

They also have films based off of other properties like Speed Race, Dora the Explorer, Happy Feet, Polar Express, and more. Not to mention I believe they are the same company that actually installed the motion base system at the park.

Besides, a nine year contract would've been unprecedented, given other films in the theater lasting from one month to two or three seasons tops... They couldn't have (and shouldn't have) anticipated the popularity of Spongebob Squarepants lasting this long. It would've been contrary to much that happened at the park prior.

I highly doubt that the park just pick some random number out of the air and decided to go with that long of a contract. Im sure there were renewals in there.

An example of a "real" 4-D attraction- the old ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter attraction at Magic Kingdom.

If comparing to this, I would not consider Spongebob to be a 4-D ride, but a 3-D attraction whose seats just happen to move.

EDIT: I just realized that the video doesn't do this much justice, but for whoever did not get the chance to ride this great attraction, you could feel the breathing and drops of saliva of the monster as he "moved" around the room. It was a really thrilling experience. Edited by ahank

Kings Dominion is still showing Spongebob in 3D. That would indicate to me that Kings Island will also continue it this year, as well. They've always kept those

simulator rides pretty uniform since they've had them. So, let's all just count on watching Spongebob for the 2011 season!

Aahh! Alien Encounter (or as I like to call it: Poop Your Pants: The Ride). I remember all the signage out front, saying that it was far too intense for small children, yet parents would still bring the kiddies in (and then be angry that it was too scary, claiming they weren't warned). I was in high school when I went to Disney, and it was just about too intense for me, let alone the poor elementary-aged children I saw in the line.

Kings Dominion is still showing Spongebob in 3D. That would indicate to me that Kings Island will also continue it this year, as well. They've always kept those

simulator rides pretty uniform since they've had them. So, let's all just count on watching Spongebob for the 2011 season!

Carowinds was playing Spongebob in 3D as well.

Guest TombraiderTy

^I wonder how that'll affect Urgent Scare, saying the haunted house utilized the full exit for both additional scares and a photo-spot.

People wondering how crowded the back of Coney will be come Haunt if Urgent Scare returns in its old spot (all four of you) need look no further than X-Base with Death Row, Trail of Terror, Flight of Fear, AND Firehawk. Even if somehow the old entrance remains and the layout remains almost the same (having US's queue in the grassy field right behind the Windy Seeker and next to AT's old entrance), you have to figure in the immense crowds that flock to the haunted attraction and the drastically reduced amount of queuing space now that a brand new flat ride has been erected right smack dab in front of said attraction. One with an enormous footprint.

EDIT: This now begs the question of the future of two of the most popular Haunt attractions for the 2011 season - Trail of Terror and Urgent Scare. Dinosaurs Alive! sits in and crosses through the forest where the Trail resides, and I just talked about The Windy Seeker earlier in this post.