Should Surf Dog be considered a coaster?

darkmarkman

I picked yes. I do consider it a coaster, although I do see how it can also be considered a flat as well.

The definition of Roller coaster: "A steep, sharply curving elevated railway with small open passenger cars that is operated at high speeds as a ride, especially in an amusement park."

The manufacturer of the ride considers it a coaster, so I am guessing it is also registered as such with the state. http://www.zamperla....l?category_id=4

Where in it does it "Coast?" To my knowledge (Someone correct me if I'm wrong), Surf Dog is powered throughout the whole ride, and never coasts freely on it's own. In my book, that doesn't let it be a 'coast'er.

Blazing Fury, for example, is, though, because it has several drops where the train is free to ride on it's own.

• Like 2

Where in it does it "Coast?" To my knowledge (Someone correct me if I'm wrong), Surf Dog is powered throughout the whole ride, and never coasts freely on it's own. In my book, that doesn't let it be a 'coast'er.

Blazing Fury, for example, is, though, because it has several drops where the train is free to ride on it's own.

I agree. Fully powered= not a coaster.

Surf Dog does not coast down from the hills? It is never without a power source? It is powered up the hills, then the motors reverse and power it down? I don't know, I'm asking... And regardless, I do promise that gravity is working its magic on the ride.

Plus, remember that in most every other language, the equivalent term for a "roll-er coast-er" can be translated to "Russian Mountain." The idea of a roll-er that also coasts is an exception and not a rule. So can the definition proposed here (of something that rolls and coasts) of such a ride really be inferred from our etymologically whimsical nick-name?

Montaña rusa... (Spanish)

Rutchebane... (Danish)

Montagne russe... (French)

Vuoristorata... (Finnish)

Muntanya russa... (Catalan)

Montanha russa... (Portuguese)

And yet the standards are based on our name for it? Ethnocentric? Food for thought!

• Like 1

I would have to say, by laws of physics, that as some point in time, this thing is coasting. For lack of a better argument, while the designs and power sources are different, It is not much different than intamin's impluse twisters. They are pushed up the first twist come back down, get pushed up the second twist, so on and so forth. The only time it is coasting is coming back down just to be powered through the next twist.

I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes from Uncle Tom's Cabin:

'"Father," said one of the rising generation to his paternal progenitor, "if I should call this cow's tail a leg, how many legs would she have?" "Why five, to be sure." "Why, no, father; would calling it a leg make it one?"

Kings Island can call its rides anything it wants, but they are what they are...whatever that is....

• Like 4

I vote no. I don't see how you could consider it a coaster. There's no way for me to explain why or why not, I guess it's just one of those things where it depends on how you look at it. I don't see how you could consider Surf Dog a coaster and not consider Viking Fury a coaster.

• Like 2

Trying to create a definition can get very tricky - depending upon what you say, arguments can be made for many rides that you would in no way ever think of as a coaster being called one.

For example - Beast1979 said it needs to coast freely on it's own down a hill (paraphrased). Based on this, I can argue that the Peanuts 500 kiddy car ride qualifies (those cars coast down the ramp at the end of that ride).

I don't include it on my count.

For me personally, it's easy. In my personal coaster count, I only count wooden coasters, hyper coasters and Volcano: The Blast Coaster (but only because it makes me!)

Well then you of all people must've been very fulfilled after riding Son of Beast - it's wooden, it's a hyper coaster, and it's a blast to be sure!

Quite frankly, the first time I rode Son of Beast, I found it marvelous.

But then, I have a very large vocabulary, I am told. (Check out the synonyms for marvelous at http://www.merriam-w...nary/marvelous: amazing, astonishing, astounding, awesome, awful, eye-opening, fabulous, miraculous, portentous, prodigious, staggering, stunning, stupendous, sublime, surprising, wonderful, wondrous ) Even then, I did my best to make certain my true feelings were conveyed, but difficult to interpret, given what I was doing back then...and my true feelings then about Son of Beast were certainly included in that list...and still are today.

The then president of ACE said, quite simply, words to the effect that it was a wooden coaster and he loved wooden coasters.

We know KI and the manufacturer considers it a coaster, and (if) the state of Ohio (obviously I don't have proof of this) classifies it as a coaster. Why shouldn't the enthusiasts community consider it a coaster as well? It seems to me that it is just some enthusiasts that are the only ones questioning it's classification. I am enjoying this topic and reading the reasons why others believe the way they do about it.

I do wonder though, has anyone on this thread changed their mind about this due to the opinions and cases presented in this thread and others like it?

I personally am still going to enjoy the ride experience whether it is classified as a coaster, flat, or horse back ride. See you there on April 30th. smile.gif

• Like 1

I voted no, for the same reasons as Beast1979. I believe that to be considered a roller coaster, it has to coast on it's own without being powered. Surf Dog doesn't do that, Blazing Fury does.

For the longest time I had trouble considering Disaster Transport as a coaster, because it didn't have the traditional coaster track. But after much discussion, a friend was finally able to persuade me with his arguments for calling it a coaster. I highly doubt that I will be so persuaded for Surf Dog.

How about the Haunted House at Camden? It has a lift hill followed by a hilly track powered by gravity.

On another note, Kennywood's Flying Coaster is not even a coaster, but contains the word coaster. Just like our Surf Dog.

Camden's Haunted House has long been the subject of much debate as to whether or not it should be considered a coaster. Personally, I believe it is. As for Surf Dog, no, I see it more as a flat ride.

I considered Surf Dog a roller coaster, until i considered the car holding the people. It may have the track, but the spining car and its design make me change my opinion on this so-called coaster. The car is giant, there is only one, and its needs to be repeatedly powered up to get enough momentum to get over the hill. Besides how far does it travel? Its hard to measure in feet due to the differating cycles during the ride. The fact that there is a cycling (Delirium, Viking Fury) should classify this as a flat.

Is this a roller coaster?

twister.jpg

Okay, how about this one?

halfpipe.jpg

And, what if you make it a little smaller?

rc-racer.jpg

And add a hump in the middle?

Survivor+The+Ride.jpg

Now a little smaller than that?

Where is the line drawn? When does it become "not a roller coaster?"

• Like 2

^if i was making decisions, the first three would be considered roller coasters because, at least at one point, the train coast freely up and down the track. however, in the last two pictured, the train is powered throughout the whole ride, the track for the second two doesn't show one space that doesn't have the "strip" that powers it through the course.

*the only time i could consider "surf dog" a roller coaster is when it loses power and has to coast to a complete stop.

*the only time i could consider "surf dog" a roller coaster is when it loses power and has to coast to a complete stop.

Not unlike The Crypt when the brakes fail to catch the gondola properly! Ah, I see! The standards are becoming clear!

Oh, what a tangled web we weave!

actually, completely unlike the crypt, it does not have a set of running rails it runs its entire course on, or upstop, running, and side rail (is that what they're called?) wheels.

i love the ride, but i have never counted it in my coaster count, it will always be a flat to me. :)

For me to call something a coaster it must meet the following requirements:

-Have a linear track. (No tower, is what I mean.)

-Must have no on-ride power source.

-Must for more than 50% of the ride be coasting.

So according to this definition I think the first two are coasters, the last two are flats, and the middle is unknown because I don't know how it works.