Should Surf Dog be considered a coaster?

darkmarkman

• 8 months later...

I'm not sure on this, but I did talk to a man that once told me once it reaches the top of the "hill" its put into a "neutral" type of gear, until it reaches a proxy on the other side to drive it back up the next "hill". Since it is in a "neutral" gear it would be considered coasting... Correct?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

KI officially claims 14 coasters, counted as follows (in no particular order):

1. Diamondback
  2. The Beast
  3. Backlot Stunt Coaster
  4. Vortex
  5. Firehawk
  6. Flight of Fear
  7. The Racer (both sides counted together as a single coaster)
  8. Adventure Express
  9. Flight Deck
  10. Invertigo
  11. The Great Pumpkin Coaster
  12. Woodstock Express
  13. Flying Ace Aerial Chase
  14. Surf Dog

I know at least as of last year, the list of trivia questions that ride ops pulled out during weather delays and short breakdowns included a question and answer that explicitly stated that the park considers Surf Dog to be a coaster. I don't recall the exact question or answer, though.

• Like 1

I've always heard that the park considers it to be a coaster. I absolutely do not. Sorry. If I'd consider Surf Dog a coaster, then I refuse to not count Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge at Hersheypark as a coaster. It works totally like a coaster except the motors won't let it coast down the hills. It's like being on an endless trim brake.

...and yes...I'm guilty of believing the Camden and Conneaut Lake dark rides are coasters.

• Like 3

Guest Department47

How about Racer - is it one or two roller coasters? The park counts it as one, but what if you were to disassemble one side and ship it to another amusement park - then would it be two? Cedar Point is similar with Gemini, as is Six Flags Magic Mountain with both Colossus and Superman: Escape from Krypton.

• Like 4

I personally don't care if they call it a roller coaster on it, but here are the facts.

I- It runs on a track that goes one way and another

II- It has a car that has two areas for seating

III- It is ran by electrical movements, a technology ran for other attractions, like a coaster (Italian Stunt Job)

IV- It has an almost replica of the Demon's (A roller coaster) track, a out and back scenario.

Now it is all up to speculation on how it is or isn't a coaster, but in a literal scenario, with all information at hand, it is by definition, a coaster by it's characteristics of an attraction.

It's been like that since it was re-done, I believe....

Well, I feel like I have been thinking of the wrong thing now, where have I been?. :blink: BB1 who really doesn't go through the snoopy land.

As far as I remember, there has never been a Snoopy on top. That's one of the things I kind of missed about that ride. I loved the big Aang on top. It really added to the theming of ride. How cool would it be to have a big Snoopy? From a distance you could see him surfing along the track!

surf_dog_slide_1.jpg

• Like 3