Fairfield High and Phantom Theater

Phantom Theater

So my sister who went to my school, Fairfield High school, and she was asking me if I remember Phantom Theater at KI, and of course I said yeah, and she was tellin me about how our high school got one of the old chandeliers that was in phantom theater and our school used it for the production of Phantom of the Opera, I was wondering if anybody knew if this was true?

^^Do youj know how they got the rights for it? My school is doing it this spring (starts in about 2.5 weeks)

Sycamore and KI are very well contected in ways :). just looked at my 12th grade year book on of the pages it says Congrats to the class of 2006 Syacamore High school from all of us at Paramounts Kings Island with the parks logo. same with my 9th 10th and 11th grade ones to.

^^Do youj know how they got the rights for it? My school is doing it this spring (starts in about 2.5 weeks)

Sycamore and KI are very well contected in ways :).

As is Kings. ;)

Lets just say in the theatre business...

Sycamore and KI are very well contected in ways :). just looked at my 12th grade year book on of the pages it says Congrats to the class of 2006 Syacamore High school from all of us at Paramounts Kings Island with the parks logo. same with my 9th 10th and 11th grade ones to.

Huh, that's interesting! I don't think they've had any connection with KI in the yearbooks the past couple years. But I meant how did Fairfield get the rights to do a production of "Phantom of the Opera" three years before any other high school...

Huh, that's interesting! I don't think they've had any connection with KI in the yearbooks the past couple years. But I meant how did Fairfield get the rights to do a production of "Phantom of the Opera" three years before any other high school...

Our drama teacher mr.Muldoon actually wrote to R&H Theatricals asking for permission to do the play, and they said yes.

Yes yes, Ms. Gartner (Gardner?)...I didn't take choir at the junior high but I have heard a LOT about her! Most people love that lady :) haha

Edit: And I wonder why shy knows ppl from CP?

How do you think our 8th grade Choir Trip was paid to Cedar Point :). She has Hook ups. the woman is Amazing!!!!!

Oh rights for most shows are avail. It's just how much you are willing to spend. There are complications however, Acting Up this year wanted to do West Side Story; Saddly, because WSS was travalling in Broadway Across America (coming here in 2011-2012 season methinks) they could not secure the rights. However Acting Up is a bit different than a High School Production....

To anyone taking on Phantom....well good luck! haha Break-a-leg...BREAK BOTH OF THEM!

• 2 weeks later...

MarkR and I are going to see the Sycamore High production on April 16th. I will look and see if their chandelier is from Phantom Theatre. That ride had a similar story as the play. "Do you think you will be allowed to leave, once you have heard my music? I don't think so!"

• 2 weeks later...

I went to my high school's (sycamore) production of Phantom on April 16, which was also Cappies night. It was nothing less that AMAZING! I cannot believe high schoolers can sing like that, and the music coming from the pit sounds soooo professional!! I was extremely impressed! :)

• 2 weeks later...

The other remarkable part of securing the Phantom of the Opera rights is the storage area that is demanded. I was on the committee that tried to secure the right to Phantom years ago, and one of the questions that was asked was "How much storage space do you have available?" In order to keep the production in its majesty, you have to have room for a chandelier of a certain size and a pipe organ of a certain size. I can't remember the specifics since this was close to 5 years ago, but its huge.

• 2 weeks later...

The Fairfield chandelier was NOT the PT one. Sycamore borrowed the one that was used by Fairfield and it was student made. 2x4, plywood, and the wiring was hand done. I'm an AVES Theatre grad and I know more about that production than the cast did.

I thought I read an article that says they were one of the first four to perform it. Not exactly the first. I heard four schools were given the rights at the same time.

In 2008, Fairfield's drama club was one of four schools in the nation asked to perform Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera. Fairfield also holds the title of performing the very first amateur production of Webber's Starlight Express.
Taken from Wikipedia.

• 3 months later...