Windseeker Operations

skaterboy22101

Guest rcfreak339

How is that ridiculous? Maintenance crew have to go on top of Drop Tower to properly maintain cables and such, putting someone atop WindSeeker is plausible. How is it so much different from working on top of the Eiffel Tower? I'm sure bars would be added or some kind of glass to protect the operator. (or Kings Island trusts the operators to behave and operate the ride safely from that height.)

I really don't see why people think this is some crazy idea that was made up by a 6 year old. It's completely plausible. Although I bet it would be hard to find ops brave enough to do it.

Does maintenance stay up there whenever the ride is operating? Does a ride op stay at the very top (not the observation deck) of Eiffel Tower whenever it's open?

Again, what's the difference between standing on the Eiffel Tower and standing on WindSeeker? Seriously, there is NONE besides the fact that on WindSeeker you may have a control box in front of you.

I am I the only one that thought WindSeeker is operating via magnets? If so it is NOT like Drop Tower. Besides, if you knew what you were doing yes you could safely work at that height.

Guest PizzaBaby027

The only reason I see having someone up their is to watch guests, having controls up their is plausible but not for an employee who doesn't even care and doesn't read his (2 inch) thick guidebook!! Also it is a new rule that only those 18++ may work on the Eiffel Tower now. Trust me, I am great friends with most of them, only 18 up may work on it!! So having any employee up their is not likely, I am sorry but no one will be up their unless maintance, you don't see folks on top of drop zone!! No different friends, in my belief!

Guest rcfreak339

The only reason I see having someone up their is to watch guests, having controls up their is plausible but not for an employee who doesn't even care and doesn't read his (2 inch) thick guidebook!! Also it is a new rule that only those 18++ may work on the Eiffel Tower now. Trust me, I am great friends with most of them, only 18 up may work on it!! So having any employee up their is not likely, I am sorry but no one will be up their unless maintance, you don't see folks on top of drop zone!! No different friends, in my belief!

WindSeeker is NOT like Drop Tower.

I really think you guys are taking this way too seriously. There is definitely a huge difference in taking a commercial elevator to the top of Eiffel Tower compared to taking a maintenance elevator to the top of Drop Tower. Not to mention there are many safety practices that have to follow. If you think there is any real reason to have a real ride operator up at the top of the ride you aren't thinking clearly. Even if there was a control panel up there, which would be insane for Mondial to place in that spot, they would reroute the lines and put it on the ground where it is more safe for SEASONAL employees to use. There may be a maintenance box at the top, but even that seems unlikely.

Guest PizzaBaby027

Yes but lets not forget that the orgins of WS come from Drop zone!!

At one time, there were ride ops in towers along most flumes, mine rides, rapids rides, etc. Most, but not all, such towers are now no longer manned (or womanned, as the case may be).

Michigan's Adventure had a ride op sitting at the top of the lift hill and just before the drop on their log flume this past summer. It was certainly interesting to have them just sitting there in the open as you floated by. Funny how it probably seems odd to past generations not to have them there anymore; while for me it was quite strange to have someone that close!

Except if you actually read what I said, I said I didn't mean the observation deck. If you look at a aerial photo of the Eiffel Tower, you can see there's a small balcony above the place where the bars that enclose the observation deck connect to the upper structure.

You are both missing the true question here.

Who cares? Shut up, live and let live.

Guest PizzaBaby027

Ya I agree with beastfan26, it is a little sad how much time we all spend talking about where the ride operator will be at and blah and this little sid topic is silly!!! Really, this whole site and all these posts are just silly, I mean I enjoy them but really in the big scheme, its like WOW really I spend my evening debating that the operator isn't on top of WS. Really we are debating about this. Just WOW, and I am included in that pathetic WOW!!!

Ja Guru Deva Om...... calm down, geez the park opens in 4 weeks and six days. Perhaps they'll let everyone who got so mad about not getting a giga coaster volunteer to take a shift up at the top of this monster. No one has explained why on earth KI would even need anyone at the top, 'cause one way or another everyone's going to come back down. :rolleyes:

Simply put, it is an unnecessary risk. If there were a reason for a ride op to be up there, KI would also have someone on top of Drop Tower. It would be nice to have someone up there to check on riders during the cycle (cameras, dropping stuff, etc) but its not worth the risk of placing a teenager on top of a 301' tower. You can put as many safety systems as you want up there, but the risk would still outweigh the reward. For the people that stilll think that the Eiffel Tower is the same as WindSeeker, I'll say it again, The Eiffel Tower is an observation tower meant to take guests and ride ops up and down in an elevator. (from an operations stand point. B) ) WindSeeker is a thrill ride meant to take guests up in their own individual seat. If they want a ride op up with the riders, they should just assign them a seat on the ride. :lol:

Guest rcfreak339

Simply put, it is an unnecessary risk. If there were a reason for a ride op to be up there, KI would also have someone on top of Drop Tower. It would be nice to have someone up there to check on riders during the cycle (cameras, dropping stuff, etc) but its not worth the risk of placing a teenager on top of a 301' tower. You can put as many safety systems as you want up there, but the risk would still outweigh the reward. For the people that stilll think that the Eiffel Tower is the same as WindSeeker, I'll say it again, The Eiffel Tower is an observation tower meant to take guests and ride ops up and down in an elevator. (from an operations stand point. B) ) WindSeeker is a thrill ride meant to take guests up in their own individual seat. If they want a ride op up with the riders, they should just assign them a seat on the ride. :lol:

Unnecessary risk? Im not saying there will be one because I really have no clue, but how do you know if it's unnecessary?

WindSeeker operates differently then Drop Tower, Drop Tower uses cables while WindSeeker does not. A totally different system. It is really nothing like Drop Tower except in looks.

If a teenager is trained properly then I don't know why it's really a concern (Maybe limit the age to 18? for liability issues?), and why does it matter that the Eiffel Tower is an observation deck?, IF WindSeeker did in fact have a control both at the top then it would work almost the same. An elevator would take you up, you would get out, and walk to your area.

At least, thats the only logical way for it to work.

This topic has gotten heated and I'm pretty surprised no one here as somehow involved rumors about Son of Beast in it or complained about the dinosaurs/ERT.

There is not going to be a ride op on top of the tower or anywhere inside the tower while it is operating. To think so is just plain silly. I have 20 reasons in my head as to why it will never happen. If there is an elevator inside, it will be for maintenance use only. If there is a position at the top of the tower, how is that person going to be rotated out for breaks and shift changes? Is the ride going to be shut down for 20 minutes every hour while they ride the elevator up and down? For you Eiffel Tower people, the Eiffel Tower was built as an observation tower and only that. Its only purpose is to have people ride up and down its elevators to enjoy the sights. Thats why it is safe for ride ops to be on the Eiffel Tower and not WindSeeker. This is all common sense people. I don't know why it's still being discussed.

Valid points, but I think THE BEST reasoning as to why someone's not going to be up there hasn't been mentioned yet:

Look at the photos of WindSeeker. You can in fact see that there is a door at the bottom of the tower to allow access into its interior. Drop Tower has a similar door. However, how are employees going to access that door when the chair ring is down and blocking it? If the ride is in motion, there's no way they're going to rotate someone into the ride area as it's operating and have them go inside then ascend 300 feet all to do.... what exactly?

Drop Tower and other tall rides feature no operators at the top. Eifel Tower does, because it does feature an observation deck and employees are stationed in an attempt to keep people from violating Ohio State law via dropping or spitting.

Also it is a new rule that only those 18++ may work on the Eiffel Tower now.

No. It's not.

Unnecessary risk? Im not saying there will be one because I really have no clue, but how do you know if it's unnecessary?

WindSeeker operates differently then Drop Tower, Drop Tower uses cables while WindSeeker does not. A totally different system. It is really nothing like Drop Tower except in looks.

If a teenager is trained properly then I don't know why it's really a concern (Maybe limit the age to 18? for liability issues?), and why does it matter that the Eiffel Tower is an observation deck?, IF WindSeeker did in fact have a control both at the top then it would work almost the same. An elevator would take you up, you would get out, and walk to your area.

When is the ride op going to ride the elevator to the top? They sure aren't going to do it during the rides operation. Will they shut down the ride for 15 minutes every hour for rotations? And, how do you know the ride isn't using cables? Has the park announced how the ride vehicle is going to be lifted? I haven't heard anything about that. Its an unnecessary risk because there is nothing a position on top of the tower will do that a well placed camera or two wont take care of. It doesn't matter how much you train someone to do a specific job, 301' is more dangerous than terra firma. I'm not claiming I know anything about the operation of WindSeeker. I do know that the idea is simply horrible and I would be shocked if there actually is someone up there on opening day. And then I would pick up a shift at WindSeeker asap because that would be freakin sweet. :D

RWildman424 all of your points are valid. Mr. America your point about the door is also valid!

From working at the park previously, I know that the park would not allow for someone to be on top of the tower while the ride is in operation. We were always told that our safety is important as well. Not to mention, if there is a topper on the tower (the UFO) where exactly would said operator go? The control box is much like that of Drop Tower as you see on the webcam. I think from here on we should talk about ideas we would like to see when WindSeeker is operating on how they will move people to their seats, where they will exit, etc.

Or he just made it up

http://kiWindSeeker....org/updates.htm

Fun Fact: The all new WindSeeker ride will require a Ride Attendent 301' feet in the air inside the tower.

Wasn't that website created by someone on here?

Not an official website for WindSeeker or of Cedar Fair.

I know, but he apparently got that info from somewhere.

Rwildman is right although he missed a key point. Let's say for sh*ts and giggles there will an operator positioned at the top of WindSeeker. When it comes down to it, what are they able to do other than stare at the ride as it goes around and around? It's not like a lift hill where they can stop the ride and yell at someone for having a camera out or for a guest doing something unsafe.