Windseeker Operations

skaterboy22101

Fun Fact: King's Island has decided to leave the assembly crane intact and for an upcharge of 5 to 20 dollars, take visitors up above the WindSeeker ride and allow them to get a birds eye view of their newest thrill ride!

Fun Fact: Kings Island has decided to charge a $5 upcharge for putting an apostrophe in its name. ;)

OK- lets talk about something important.

is this construction thereby removing the restroom and repurposing it for a gift shop?

I'm sorry, I could have swore you said lets talk about something important.

hey, you stand in line for our new 300' tall swing set having to go BAD and have to walk 5 minutes to the next restroom and tell me that's not important.

Maybe because no one of importance cares...

The paying customer. Management. The Board. Insurers.

As a test, point it out to your non-enthusiast friends and see if they show something resembling enthusiasm or interest. Comment that, if it were you, you would get out a ladder, climb it, and use a black Sharpie marker to blot out the apostrophe. See if they still agree with you... Check Facebook if you don't believe that most of the general public (at least of Facebook's age demographic) spell it King's Island anyway... Ironically, one of the few times nowadays that people use seemingly correct punctuation is actually incorrect!

GYK, who has always thought that it should be an island belonging to a king, and not an island of many kings, anyway...

Guest PizzaBaby027

This topic has gotten heated and I'm pretty surprised no one here as somehow involved rumors about Son of Beast in it or complained about the dinosaurs/ERT.

There is not going to be a ride op on top of the tower or anywhere inside the tower while it is operating. To think so is just plain silly. I have 20 reasons in my head as to why it will never happen. If there is an elevator inside, it will be for maintenance use only. If there is a position at the top of the tower, how is that person going to be rotated out for breaks and shift changes? Is the ride going to be shut down for 20 minutes every hour while they ride the elevator up and down? For you Eiffel Tower people, the Eiffel Tower was built as an observation tower and only that. Its only purpose is to have people ride up and down its elevators to enjoy the sights. Thats why it is safe for ride ops to be on the Eiffel Tower and not WindSeeker. This is all common sense people. I don't know why it's still being discussed.

Valid points, but I think THE BEST reasoning as to why someone's not going to be up there hasn't been mentioned yet:

Look at the photos of WindSeeker. You can in fact see that there is a door at the bottom of the tower to allow access into its interior. Drop Tower has a similar door. However, how are employees going to access that door when the chair ring is down and blocking it? If the ride is in motion, there's no way they're going to rotate someone into the ride area as it's operating and have them go inside then ascend 300 feet all to do.... what exactly?

Drop Tower and other tall rides feature no operators at the top. Eifel Tower does, because it does feature an observation deck and employees are stationed in an attempt to keep people from violating Ohio State law via dropping or spitting.

Also it is a new rule that only those 18++ may work on the Eiffel Tower now.

No. It's not.

YES it was, the start of last year. It was, go ahead and test me!!! I know what the rule was!

Thanks to Deririum13 and GYK for the grammatical cover, much appreciated. While we're off on extreme tangents (given the initial silliness of this thread) ponder this:

"Kings Island" is implied ownership of either 1 "King" or many "Kings", there should be a singular possessive apostraphe (King's) or plural possessive (Kings') in the name.

So the photo Delirium13 was kind to attach is grammatically correct.

Thanks to Deririum13 and GYK for the grammatical cover, much appreciated. While we're off on extreme tangents (given the initial silliness of this thread) ponder this:

"Kings Island" is implied ownership of either 1 "King" or many "Kings", there should be a singular possessive apostraphe (King's) or plural possessive (Kings') in the name.

Grammatically correct? How so? Is it written into Kings Island's story that it is owned by one king?

Kings Island (with no apostrophe) could be grammatically correct if it is an island of kings.

Of course, it's almost certainly just because of Kings Mills, Ohio, which does not contain an apostrophe even if one is "implied" since apostrophes are quite rare in city names.

Very true. I am completely uneducated about Kings, King's, Kings', Island story. I always welcome the chance to learn something new.

Like is the spinning bar stool they're going to put at the top of the WindSeeker, WindSeeker's, WindSeekers' tower going to be known as the employee stool, employee's stool, or employees' stool? :wacko:

Maybe he thought he read that somewhere, whether it was Ki's FB or official website or on here...but it actually isn't true...

How do you know it isn't true though?

I was just stating how something false could've been brought up, which was then taken as fact....I didn't say either of my situations was what happened for sure...

Of course, it's almost certainly just because of Kings Mills, Ohio, which does not contain an apostrophe even if one is "implied" since apostrophes are quite rare in city names.

You would think that would be the case. But I recently had to replot a rendering that listed Mayslick as such. Why did we have to reprint it? Because apparently it is spelled "May`s Lick" complete with an apostrophe.

Then there's that town in Pennsylvania where the steel mills were, that most outsiders forget has an h at the end of its burg....(Many, many years ago the post office removed most of the h's from such names, but the people in that big city near Kennywood threw such a fit they got their h back! The ride at Kennywood is correctly spelled for its era: Pittsburg Plunge)

Guest rcfreak339

RWildman424 all of your points are valid. Mr. America your point about the door is also valid!

From working at the park previously, I know that the park would not allow for someone to be on top of the tower while the ride is in operation. We were always told that our safety is important as well. Not to mention, if there is a topper on the tower (the UFO) where exactly would said operator go? The control box is much like that of Drop Tower as you see on the webcam. I think from here on we should talk about ideas we would like to see when WindSeeker is operating on how they will move people to their seats, where they will exit, etc.

So what exactly more dangerous?

Taking a elevator to the top of a 301 foot tall tower or climbing up 230 feet in the air on Diamondback? (which employees CAN do if an evacuation is needed)

If Kings Island were to ever make a op work in the top of the tower you can rest assured they would make it safe as possible. Cedar Fair has done a great job in making sure employees follow ALL safety rules and guidlines, they train them very well.

Guest PizzaBaby027

The Eiffel Tower is designed to have ppl at the top. Diamondback allows employees to walk to the top of the lift if a harness is on. WindSeeker most likely is not made for ppl in it while in operation, also you don't see employees walking the stairs of DB while the trains are going up too!!!

I agree DiamondbackCMH, safety is most important. They would not allow anyone on top of something while it is in operation. They won't allow employees below the coaster stations while the ride is in operation. I have worked with the park, I know alot of the precautions and rules!!!

I have worked with the park, I know alot of the precautions and rules!!!

Blue Icecream.... ?

Don't even get me started on the Blue Ice Cream. I don't even want to say anything bad about KI though, since I work for them now.. :unsure:

Lets just say when Paramount had the park, they acquired a certain kind of desert treat in the wrong way.

Ah, guys, of course KINGSISLANDMASTER would know this stuff. Everyone in Food and Beverage attends rides training, right?

And he didn't even work there a whole season, he "quit". (then had a very suspicious grudge against the park, which seems to have been erased from here, which doesn't line up with the quitting story)

RWildman424 all of your points are valid. Mr. America your point about the door is also valid!

From working at the park previously, I know that the park would not allow for someone to be on top of the tower while the ride is in operation. We were always told that our safety is important as well. Not to mention, if there is a topper on the tower (the UFO) where exactly would said operator go? The control box is much like that of Drop Tower as you see on the webcam. I think from here on we should talk about ideas we would like to see when WindSeeker is operating on how they will move people to their seats, where they will exit, etc.

So what exactly more dangerous?

Taking a elevator to the top of a 301 foot tall tower or climbing up 230 feet in the air on Diamondback? (which employees CAN do if an evacuation is needed)

If Kings Island were to ever make a op work in the top of the tower you can rest assured they would make it safe as possible. Cedar Fair has done a great job in making sure employees follow ALL safety rules and guidlines, they train them very well.

Like you said, the only reason a Ride op is on Diamondback's lift is for evacuations or technical problems where the train stops on the lift. And even then, the ride is shut down before the ride op steps on the lift. I am one of the lucky few who have been on DB's lift. Yes, there is a harness, but it will never be as safe as standing on the ground. Same for riding an elevator up a 301' tower. It's a very last resort.

Your words also prove my point. Bold in the quote, safe as possible 301' in the air will never be as safe as on the ground watching a monitor.

Edited for grammar.

Anyone ever think that there is potential of there being no elevator?

As far as walking up a 230 foot lift hill I believe that they are supposed to have some sort of harness on.

Well, since Terpy may not be around right now...

Yes, someone thought of that potential ;) Actually, I myself have thought of that. A couple of the pictures appear to have a small motor type thing that could aid in running a small elevator and some of the pieces look to have been designed for a small elevator (like it appeared there was square framing inside the tower pieces). However, there weren't good pictures of these things and so it was only little bits of the insides or whatever....I hope this makes sense.

It would make sense they would HAVE to wear harnesses...

Blue Icecream.... ?

I about died laughing at this Paul!

I was thinking Dippin' Dots though?

If only PizzaBaby027 knew as much about grammar and sentence structure as he/she claims to know about park rules.