If you owned CF, how would you operate it?

RaptorGuy

I like Gold Star better,

Wow, you said something I agree with :)

And I completely agree with Raptorguy about the DB/ Beast ERT! Maybe we all can get along.

I agree with raptorguy on db/beast ERT too, but I don't think threatening to boycott the park is a rational course of action. And Skyline is better.

I like Gold Star better,

And I completely agree with Raptorguy about the DB/ Beast ERT! Maybe we all can get along.

I agree with raptorguy on db/beast ERT too, but I don't think threatening to boycott the park is a rational course of action. And Skyline is better.

I only agree with Raptorguy about ERT. If he wants to boycott the park, I really don't think KI will be too devastated, and it's 1 less person in line in front of me! Your right, Skyline is much better. I just wish they'd stop charging so much more for those little doggies in the park than they do everywhere else.

I like Gold Star better,

I only agree with Raptorguy about ERT. If he wants to boycott the park, I really don't think KI will be too devastated, and it's 1 less person in line in front of me! Your right, Skyline is much better. I just wish they'd stop charging so much more for those little doggies in the park than they do everywhere else.

I didn't say I was going to boycott the park altogether. I will still come. I just wont come the 50 times I did last year. Only a fraction of that, probably. Maybe back to 06 when I came

only 6 times the whole season. I just won't be riding WindSeeker, and won't be partaking in ANY ERT this year, thanks to poor decisions. That's all I am saying. You'll still see me, some!

If I owned CF I would probably start by having ERT on Vortex and WindSeeker instead of Diamondback and Beast. I'd add an upcharge Dinosaur attraction somewhere in Coney Mall. I'd also probably hire a really good marketing guy that would get 40+ pages of discussion off of a couple pictures in the snow and a few teasers.

...The things I said I would do if I could control it, are things that existed in the history of Kings Island, but no more. They are things that worked and people enjoyed, and I don't understand why they would take things away that were great...

Your definition of "worked" must be different than everyone else because if Winterfest "worked" so well then it would have stuck around. Get over it, flash that season pass at some hunnies, and go get in line for WindSeeker because you and I both know you're going to ride it.

...The things I said I would do if I could control it, are things that existed in the history of Kings Island, but no more. They are things that worked and people enjoyed, and I don't understand why they would take things away that were great...

Your definition of "worked" must be different than everyone else because if Winterfest "worked" so well then it would have stuck around. Get over it, flash that season pass at some hunnies, and go get in line for WindSeeker because you and I both know you're going to ride it.

It worked for freezing my ass off and really buying nothing other than a mug on clearance in the spring.

If I owned CF I would probably start by having ERT on Vortex and WindSeeker instead of Diamondback and Beast. I'd add an upcharge Dinosaur attraction somewhere in Coney Mall. I'd also probably hire a really good marketing guy that would get 40+ pages of discussion off of a couple pictures in the snow and a few teasers.

Soooo... It's YOUR fault!!!! Your post was funny. While your at it, why not build a big pile of lincoln logs behind the go karts and then pretend it doesn't exist?

Your definition of "worked" must be different than everyone else because if Winterfest "worked" so well then it would have stuck around.

This is what is posted here at the KIC website:

Kings Island`s WinterFest debuted in 1982, one year before the Cincinnati Zoo started their winter festival, dubbed "Festival of Lights." Millions of guests enjoyed WinterFest over the years. Then Paramount Communications purchased the park and wished to keep the park open longer in the fall. The result of staying open through the end of October was that they would not have enough time to prepare for WinterFest. So they decided to discontinue it, much to the chagrin of the locals.

So, according to this site it was a success...just not as big as Fearfest/Halloween Haunt so one of them had to go.

...and go get in line for WindSeeker because you and I both know you're going to ride it.

Some people make some claims that may seem outlandish. I made one myself. I used to frequent a local "mom & pop" video store for years. I liked everyone at the store and their selection. A corporate chain came into town and "low balled" them out of business. I swore I would never rent from them. It has now been over 10 years and I have not rented 1 single video/DVD since the mom & pop store closed. I went from renting 3-5 videos a week to none. (I now just either wait for it to hit HBO or purchase the DVD.)

So I say do not be too sure that RaptorGuy does not mean what he says. :)

I never said it wasn't a success. I just said if it "worked" so well then it would have stuck around. Clearly, it didn't. On top of that, I'm not buying the "they didn't have enough time to get stuff set up" line because If KI wants something done bad enough, especially something thing brings them in money, they make it happen....BTW, he'll still be in line for WindSeeker.

I don't think that he'll be that devastated by not riding the ride, just as I am not devastated that I haven't been inside a Wal-Mart for 6 years (as I said I wouldn't do 6 years ago). When people get mad and protest something they usually mean what they say, even if it may seem that they don't.

Anyway, away from attacking and trying to offend another person off of the forums, onto the topic.

- As other people have said, I would give more power to individual parks and allow them to make a lot of their own decisions on a set budget.

- I would stop dealing with Intamin, as they have come off as a pretty unreliable company.

- I would invest in more sit down restaurants, lower the food prices, and market them. This way the food revenue can stop leaving the parks for much better, cheaper selections 10 minutes down the road.

- I would invest in more resort properties (similar to the Hotel Breakers) that offer perks such as discounted tickets, ERT, or an indoor water park. This would encourage guest to stay onsite, bring in more revenue, and encourage people to stay longer.

- I would improve communication among the parks and their fans via the internet (which it seems like they have already began doing pretty well).

If I owned Cedar Fair I would start with some basics: remove the power from the head and move it into the individual parks because they know their situation better, lower food prices to only slightly more expensive than outside the park so even more people will actually buy food at the park, and drop the Peanuts licensing and either getting Scooby-Doo rights or using their own brand of theming because Peanuts, though probably cheaper than most options, are about as good as using your own themes. I would set up a more open channel between the company and the public and have everyone respond to questions posed by the public to build up a relationship between the two, for if the people think the parks don't care, the "If we build it, they will come" attitude, then they will be less likely to go.

At a park level, KI specifically, I would start by switching out the music they play. International Street would get calm music that people may know, but also may not. If I could find one, I'd even have music composed specifically for the parks to use. Coney Mall will receive classic park music that is reminiscent of Coney Island NY. Rivertown will get some of what I call mid-classic country music; that would be newer music by artists that people know that follow traditional more than pop occurs. music. The children's area will either get kid's music that more than just kids will enjoy or music you hear in the Scooby shows and movies, depending on which retheme occurs.

I would retheme Oktoberfest to Louisiana Square and give it some music from New Orleans. Outer Hanks would be renamed the Bayou Grande with seafood and Cajun cuisine. I would remove Adventure Express (nothing against it) and put in another mild wooden coaster and possibly name it Katrina. Viking Fury would be renamed to something of which I do not know or removed and replaced with a Spinning Barrels. The Festhaus would be removed and replaced with some flat rides. Slingshot would be removed.

Action Zone would get its repaint to bring back its vibrant colors. Thunder Alley would be removed and B.L.S.C. would be moved to the area. Flight Deck would be renamed Afterburn and painted navy blue with plain white supports (if chrome paint could be used, maybe that instead) and would receive fighter jet theming. Queue line TVs would be added with a briefing video to excite the guests before riding. I'd contact S&S and attempt to get them to extend it so it is longer, maybe faster, and provides a more worth-while experience. Son of Beast would get torn down for the time being and the area would be unused for a few years. If money comes back I'd contact Intamin and have them build a better Son of Beast like coaster, with the as many of the original criteria met as possible, including the loop. If the money isn't raised or interest in it is lost, then a B&M inverted coaster would be added. If possible a new flying area would be opened and Flight of Fear / Firehawk may be moved. Flat rides will be added where possible. The Timberwolf Amphitheater would be renamed and it would have a summer concert series with local artists and maybe more big name stars if they can be coaxed into coming.

Coney Mall will remain largely as is, though sans Dinosaurs Alive. Attitudes will have moved to Action Zone and be replaced by a more appropriate store. Subway will be removed and replaced with Sweet Tooth. The Racer will be repainted with its original color scheme and the other flats will receive a fresh coat of paint to brighten them up. WindSeeker would be dressed up to look like the original Parachute Drop on Coney Island. Where B.L.S.C. was the Antique Cars and Flying Eagles will return. The dead end that was the entrance to X-Base will be replaced with another shop. Action Theater will open up with both theaters, Urgent Scare props being removed. The left will house Smash Factory and the right will have a specially made movie called "Phantom Theater: Maestro's Revenge" or something of the sort that will bring back the original Phantom Theater cast but to the big screen and show what they do when they are disturbed.

In Rivertown the Crypt would be rethemed the Shaft and be based off of an old mining shaft. Diamondback's field will be planted with trees and would have more theming done to the station area. R.F.Y.L.C.B. will be rethemed back to the Kings Mills Log Flume, yet with better colors, and a Chaos ride will be added called Wheel of Fortune reminiscent of the original. Whitewater Canyon will be extended to feature a longer, more thrilling track and renamed Snake River Canyon. More theming will be added to the train to enhance the experience. Rivertown Junction Dining Hall will be renamed Columbia Palace Dining Hall and will become less of a buffet and more of a great eatery.

Planet Snoopy will be rethemed as said above and B.B.o.B.H. will be rethemed to a shooter version of Phantom Theater. In the other half will be S.D.a.t.H.M. both darkrides will run.

On International Street the International Restaurant will be tricked out again and reopen to the public. Entertainers will roam the park areas with appropriate costumes. There will be a small band playing near-continuously in Coney Mall and Rivertown. The ride-ops will have themed costumes for the ride they work at and the other park employees will have semi-themed outfits for the area they service. (e.g. Janitors in Action Zone would have checker board stripes on their clothes and be dressed in primary colors.) The fireworks would last for a more decent 10 minutes. ERT will consist of WindSeeker, Diamondback, Vortex, Beast, F.o.F., and Firehawk and will be open to Gold, Platinum, and ACE members. Also on certain nights they will run a Late Ride Time on Beast, Diamondback, Vortex, and WindSeeker from 10:00 - 11:00. Gold/Platinum Pass holders will have discounts in the shops of 10-15% and certain privileges on rides, such as preferred seating on Diamondback, double rides on Beast, and a quick-line on B.L.S.C.

Halloween Haunt will be less massive, but more immersive. Special shows will be played in all theaters including Action Theater, where SpongeBob will be replaced with Elvira and Phantom Theater will be replaced with a more extreme version of itself. The fog will be toned down very much. Winterfest will return, though it will take place starting New Year's Eve running until January 31.

Great Wolf Lodge will leave and be replaced by a Kings Island owned hotel. If you stay there you get similar privileges to Gold Pass holders.

The company will focus more on balancing theme with thrill and less on either extreme. To fund this some of parks will close and be sold, such as C.G.A., the two excess Knott's waterparks, Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom, and Canada's Wonderland. The top four priority parks will become Kings Island, Knott's Berry Farm, Carowinds, and Cedar Point. Cedar Point will move down due to its less favorable location and the fact that it itself is less in balance already than Kings Island. That is what I would do if I owned Cedar Fair.

EDIT: Did I just type that much? Wow.
EDIT2: Fixed up.

EDIT III: I NEVER SAID THAT!!!! And also, looking back, I was an idiot. Please, forgive my idiocy.

A very well thought out post! :)

I liked a lot of your ideas...you did lose me with the removal of Adventure Express & Viking Fury though...I love those rides.

...and put in another mild wooden coaster and possibly name it Katrina.

Ouch! That's almost as bad as Paramount considering a ride based on The Titanic. :o

the Crypt would be rethemed the Shaft

I thought Cedar Fair already gave us this?!

• 2 years later...

*bump*

Hard to believe that only a little over two years out, some of the ideas in this topic have actually come to fruition.

And some other ones seem even more ridiculous. (A ride named Katrina? Really?)

And also, that is the biggest wall of text I've ever seen.

• Like 1

As the thread has been necro-bumped, *ahem*, I'd like to take the time to say:

I NEVER SAID ANY OF THAT!!!!

What I mean is, I was a much more naïve individual at the time of posting my large wall of text, and would like to apologize to anyone who may have been offended by the Katrina comment. I am not a terrible person, I simply didn't realize what I was saying. Please, do not think less of me.

[/drama]

• Like 2

Um, how in the world would you not realize that naming the ride Katrina would be massively offensive, especially in a New Orleans themed area? I don't even see why you would call it Katrina except to offend people. I'm sure you're joking, it's just not funny.

Anyway, I like this thread, so here are my ideas.

Tear Down and replace:

Congo Falls
Firehawk (because it's nothing like flying ought to be)
The Crypt warehouse-thingy (do something with it, it's ugly)
Flight Deck
Invertigo
Dinosaurs! Alive

- Plant more trees around Diamondback and Beast and everywhere in general
- Build a genuinely scary dark ride that operates year round where Action Theater is - back in the back area so it doesn't interfere with other theming
- Have the Boo Blasters illuminate where you're hitting, check the guns to make sure they work
- Cut food prices in half
- More midnight closings
- Son of Beast would never be rebuilt
- Red Racer would run backwards and they would always run both Racers
- Individual ride Fast Lane passes instead of or in addition to all rides/whole day
- Better mascots than Peanuts - Hanna Barbera was so much better
- Add a wild mouse coaster
- More theme stuff on the rides
- Light up the trees around Vortex's batwings, green and purple
- Lower the price of beer and have a better selection
- More TVs in line/more mist fans for hot days
- Early ride times on Flight of Fear
- Change the name of what they used to call The Beastie back to Beastie
- Lower rates for extended stays at nearby hotels
- Get rid of Subway
- Remove Mexican food from the park as it causes excessive gas among the farting line guests (I love Mexican food, but I don't love it when rude people eat it)
- Chaos ride
- Tofu added to menu in Asian cuisine
- Robotic skeletons in the train scenery
- Cotton candy on cones, not in bags
- Get rid of Chick-Fil-A

I'd probably bankrupt the park, though.

EDIT:

Add Giant Ferris Wheel

Bring back the Skyride

• Like 3