Ride Enhancements to The Crypt

kingsrattler

The Tomb Raider Triangle door is half closed.... Perhaps the return of a dedicated pre-show? I can't see why else they'd be changing around the antechamber, removing skeletons, and opening and closing the Triangle of Light door.

Also, they wouldn't literally tear up the queue for an April fools joke...

I couldn't find the Tweet on KingsIslandPR which is why I thought it was an April Fools joke by the original poster at first, but if that Kings Island Ride Operations Facebook page is legit (and judging by those photos inside the Crypt it appears to be) then I am very interested to see what becomes of this.

Gotta be careful when info is posted on April 1st! ;)

I couldn't find the Tweet on KingsIslandPR which is why I thought it was an April Fools joke by the original poster at first, but if that Kings Island Ride Operations Facebook page is legit (and judging by those photos inside the Crypt it appears to be) then I am very interested to see what becomes of this.

As of right now, its their 3rd most recent tweet, after tweets about dodgem and the railroad.

It has to be a legit page. There's no other way anyone could take some of those pictures (there's a rather impressive picture of Coney Mall on there too, turns out there's another shade structure thing by the planters!) during the offseason.

And I kinda like seeing the preshow room's door closed. Gives me hope. :P

Be still, my heart! Ahhhhh! If this is legitimate (and not just deconstruction pictures from the 2007-2008 offseason just now being posted for an April Fool's joke), it turns out that the promise of less downtown = more theming may be true. And as far as I've seen, excluding Haunt last year, the ride hasn't been closed quite as much as it was with the intense multi-flip cycle.

So help me, Kings Island... If this is an April Fool's Day joke, I will cry myself to sleep every night this season.* I've been waiting for this sort of thing for three seasons now.

*NOTE: I'm exaggerating. I'll laugh it off, then get a little disappointed, then realize that I should have seen this coming on April 1st and laugh it off again.

Be still, my heart! Ahhhhh! If this is legitimate (and not just deconstruction pictures from the 2007-2008 offseason just now being posted for an April Fool's joke), it turns out that the promise of less downtown = more theming may be true. And as far as I've seen, excluding Haunt last year, the ride hasn't been closed quite as much as it was with the intense multi-flip cycle.

So help me, Kings Island... If this is an April Fool's Day joke, I will cry myself to sleep every night this season.* I've been waiting for this sort of thing for three seasons now.

*NOTE: I'm exaggerating. I'll laugh it off, then get a little disappointed, then realize that I should have seen this coming on April 1st and laugh it off again.

The photos were posted March 16th and March 30th, so I don't think they are part of some April Fools joke, as they weren't posted today

The picture with the skeletons displaced and the Triangle of Light visible was posted on March 16th of this year... That's pretty early for an April Fool's joke! Especially since these photos were found independent of the park's Twitter posting!

Besides, saying the ride will be enhanced and then saying "April Fools!" would be a mighty poor way for the park to claim that the ride is sufficient as is... If the best joke they have is the notion that The Crypt might be improved, then they're admitting it sucks right now...

I stand corrected. I hadn't realized that they weren't posted today. That also makes sense, GYK, about them using Crypt improvements as a joke. I hadn't considered that angle--I moreso expected them to post something ridiculous later today, like, "New for 2011: The Crypt gets a techno remix! Hit the hottest club in Rivertown with a ride on Bat Demon Visits the Jersey Shore: The Ride!". The word "improvements" would only have been meant sarcastically.

As unrealistic as it is, how awesome would it be if they were restoring Tomb Raider? Ahh... I'm going to be doing a lot of daydreaming at work tonight.

I stand corrected. I hadn't realized that they weren't posted today. That also makes sense, GYK, about them using Crypt improvements as a joke. I hadn't considered that angle--I moreso expected them to post something ridiculous later today, like, "New for 2011: The Crypt gets a techno remix! Hit the hottest club in Rivertown with a ride on Bat Demon Visits the Jersey Shore: The Ride!". The word "improvements" would only have been meant sarcastically.

As unrealistic as it is, how awesome would it be if they were restoring Tomb Raider? Ahh... I'm going to be doing a lot of daydreaming at work tonight.

I'm hoping for a new pre-show. Heck, even a new lighting package would be welcome, and if they could fix the rising door I would be the happiest camper of all. The tweet does say "ride enhancements," and while I hate to be one of those people who hangs on every word, I feel like there might also be changes in the ride chamber and not just the queue. If that could include maybe even one extra flip, some new lighting, or Kings Dominion's Crypt music (which I've been rallying for for years) I think that the ride would be very enhanced.

Not gonna get my hopes up too high though... It's just really gratifying that they really do seem to care at least a little bit, especially after we all got that "build it big then let it go" feeling back in the pit of our stomachs with Dinosaurs Alive announced. We shall see!

A lot of stuff has been done this offseason, from WindSeeker, Dinosaurs Alive, Flight Deck's Paintjob, Crypt's improvements (whatever they may be), and the pavers in Coney Mall, it has been great. Not bad at all.

I think that management has made a point this offseason that they do care about the small stuff that usually only enthusiast care about.

A lot of stuff has been done this offseason, from WindSeeker, Dinosaurs Alive, Flight Deck's Paintjob, Crypt's improvements (whatever they may be), and the pavers in Cony Mall, it has been great. Not bad at all.

I think that management has made a point this offseason that they do care about the small stuff that usually only enthusiast care about.

I think it's fantastic. And personally, I vote for more years like this.

When you think about it, it's a very Paramount-esque year for the park. A reasonably sized attraction that is being duplicated at a few other parks, and a lot of capital improvement. Perhaps Cedar Fair has caught wind that "if you build it, they will come" is not the only way, nor is it always the best.

This year (and last year, too), were very well-rounded as far as investment. Last year we had Planet Snoopy (including pavers in Coney Mall and a lot of paint), Boo Blasters, Starlight Spectacular, Vortex's paint job, and (whether you think of them as positive or not, they were still a financial investment) major changes to the Backlot Stunt Coaster and The Crypt.

This year, WindSeeker (with pavers in Coney Mall), Dinosaurs Alive, potentially a new film in Action Theater, some sort of investment in The Crypt, and Flight Deck's paint job.

These are the years when change really happens. A huge ride like Diamondback is great and boosts attendance. But these "coasting between large rides" years are bursting with potential, and I think it's being adequately tapped. That's all I could ever ask for. Of course, I'm still waiting for a beautiful, classically-lit Tower Gardens, a re-invigorated Backlot Stunt Coaster, and better food quality / selection / options / pricing, but this is truly a good year so far. Another year like this and we may again have a beautiful, well-rounded, well cared-for park the likes of which we haven't seen since the 1980's...

I agree 100%. I don't care if we don't get a lot of thrill rides. Heck, I'd still love the park just the same if Diamondback wasn't built, but I'm going to love seeing the Crypt and Flight Deck look presentable. Little stuff.

Something I forgot to mention is that The Beast has received some more re-tracking. I'm looking forward to see how it performs!

Kings Island is definitely on a roll this off-season. So much work being done this off-season, it seems we keep getting more surprises as opening day gets closer. It started very early on with Flight Deck being repainted, then shortly after that we found out all of Coney Mall would be receiving the new brick pavers, in March we found out we were getting a new attraction in addition to WindSeeker, and now we find out that the Crypt is getting some much needed work. This has been a very exciting off-season indeed, in which the park has been making some very smart decisions on what to add, improve, and work on. It's really nice to see existing rides, especially ones that at times seem forgotten, get some love from the park, especially a themed attraction such as the Crypt which Cedar Fair doesn't typically do. I am extremely excited for opening day to see what these "enhancements" end up being!

On a side note, I hope those spiders are among some of the things that are removed, they always seemed kind of tacky to me...

When I saw the title topic I thought for sure this was going to be another "what would you do to The Crypt?" type thread...man am I glad I was wrong!

I'm prolly in the minority here but I actually don't hate the current ride cycle. If they would add a little theming and fix the door that would be great!

I'm prolly in the minority here but I actually don't hate the current ride cycle. If they would add a little theming and fix the door that would be great!

Agreed. The current cycle is incredibly tame, but the massive size of our ride and the unique setting still make it a thrill. No matter how "boring" the cycle may be, it's always fun to ride a ride without tracks. My stomach still drops in anticipation of the second, backwards flip. What the ride doubtlessly suffers from from a public relations point of view is lacking the thrill of its predecessor and the theme of that ride's predecessor. In it's 2010 form, it was basically a worst-of-both-worlds scenario.

Understanding that the thrill probably cannot be altered much, I think having a drum-beat loading score like Tomb Raider, installing a reinvigorated lighting package, and using Kings Dominion's adventurous music, would completely revitalize the ride experience. Adding even one more flip and a pre-show would make for a really top-notch experience - especially by A) Cedar Fair standards, and B ) the limitations imposed by the ride system.

Of course, I'd also be thrilled if they took some ideas from last summer's discussions we held on the Kings Island Facebook, hoping for the return of the icicles in the form of "stalactites" and the lava pit being a cycled, mist-free pool of "blood" with the skeletons floating in it. ;) As long as there's some good music, I'm all for it.

(crosses fingers hoping this is real)

If this is real, and some great aesthetic /thematic/ride improvements are being made, I will take back any negative "neglect" comment that I had said about CF. Seeing that the Crypt may finally be getting some much needed attention; possibly major improvements to the current "themeing" makes me just as happy as it would if I heard that we were getting a new thrill ride. Actually, this positive outlook on the Crypt, as well as the other improvements in the park make me even MORE excited about this season than if we were getting a new coaster.

Hopefully, at KI, the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." as well as the "If we build it, they will come" will be replaced by "Take care of what you have before adding more." and "You don't know what you got till' it's gone."

*It appears as though a lot of the old wall paper (which was starting to peel off the walls and look really bad) is being replaced, as there is a big chunk of what looks like it covering the styrofoam blocks that were thrown around the queue.