Ride Enhancements to The Crypt

kingsrattler

This year (and last year, too), were very well-rounded as far as investment. Last year we had Planet Snoopy (including pavers in Coney Mall and a lot of paint), Boo Blasters, Starlight Spectacular, Vortex's paint job, and (whether you think of them as positive or not, they were still a financial investment) major changes to the Backlot Stunt Coaster and The Crypt.

Excuse me for correcting you but wasn't Vortex given it's new paint job in the 09 season?

Everyone here knows I love The Crypt / Tomb Raider: The Ride. You've also probably heard my ideas for it. If you're uninterested or know that I'm generally unrealistic, feel free to skip this post. If you're vaguely interested, read the bolded portions. ;) So, here's what my realistic, plausible-as-far-as-I-know dreams for The Crypt would be:

Queue

• Choose different lighting for the interior of the queue. I get that the red floodlights are dramatic. But was there actually a problem with the lanterns? It's creepy, it's atmospheric, and it's dramatic. As we all know, having the path lit from underneath does very little to help guide your direction - it's almost dangerously dark. I've heard stories of Hollister clothing stores having to raise the lights a bit for safety reasons... But the Crypt is fine? That has to be a fire hazard...
  • Play different music. I appreciate the fact that Cedar Fair put in music to begin with. But it's literally a Halloween CD from Party City or something. One song has a creepy, vampire-esque, Victorian theme, and the next would be at home in a scarecrows-come-alive-in-the-cornfield horror movie. Neither fits the ride chamber's atmosphere, so you leave this pounding-drums, jungle-animals-hooting ride and think back to the Victorian vampire music in the queue and think "Huh...?" Tomb Raider's queue music was simple, eerie, unsettling gongs reverberating against a deep bass tone. Barely noticeable, but great at setting the atmosphere... Sort of like a film score.

Antechambers

• Re-activate the two doors that are meant to separate the pre-show and ride chamber. Granted, I get that it requires a ride operator to control each door. So maybe just work one of them. Whatever the case, it's a shame that the building is set up to allow for much faster, more functional loading by having groups separated into rows long before they reach the ride itself, and that isn't used... Using that system would also allow for a pre-show to be used.
  • Not only from a operations point of view, but from an experience point of view, there's nothing quite like not knowing what the ride is or what it does. That was unequivocally one of my favorite parts of Tomb Raider. Heck, even when taking your seat you can't really make out what it is. Even those who have seen Top Spins certainly wouldn't equate that to the enormous, tiered-seating gondola they're sitting on.
  • Have a pre-show. As I suggested during the "Kings Club" era, it really is as simple as having a demonic, raspy voice-over that plays loudly while The Bat comes to life. A simple story about how The Bat is a fallen angel cursed to guard an ancient crypt full of possessed spirits. Then, have the rolling door (the old Triangle of Light door) seal shut and you've got a story - you're trapped, and the only way out is to venture deeper into the Crypt, so The Bat demon opens the vault for you (queue rising wall effect). It's simple. It's effective. It requires one additional audio track (which can be easily, easily created by manipulating a voice in a program as simple as Garage Band) and some theatrical lighting (which, by the way, the room is already rigged with... So why is this even a debate?) I'm not asking for a film or projection or anything... Just a simple voice-over that plays while people are waiting there. You have to wait in that room before you ride. Why not take one group at a time and just play an audio track that might also give them a little story while they wait?

Ride

• As we know, the ride is what it is. I don't know that anything can be done from a mechanical point of view to change that. If it were possible to add one or even two more flips, I'd obviously vote for that.
  • If it's do-able based on the licensing, have the eyes of the goddess light up during the ride. She needn't be illuminated. Just put red lights in the eyes. Maybe return the "laser" eyes if possible.
  • Consider something like Tomb Raider's loading drums. I'm not saying it needs to be the same track. Maybe the drums / animals track that's currently used during the cycle can be used for the loading instead. Howling wind is... Well... Boring. But when there are pounding drums, your heart is already racing and the bass is shaking the room and it's just a good build-up.
  • Play Kings Dominion's Crypt music - something dramatic and epic. Even if it doesn't synch up to the ride, at least it's better than howling wind or animal noises.
  • Add a few "effects" that aren't even effects. Obviously the ride and the chamber are sensitive. I'm not asking for mist or open flames or fountains. How about the old lava pits (already rigged for water, lights, and water circulation) be filled with water and illuminated like a pool of blood? The ride doesn't even have to interact with it - just to flip backwards and drop towards it would be visually interesting. Simple things like that that would require very little work. No fountains. No mist. Just cycle the water through the filtering system to keep it from going stagnant. The lightning doesn't even have to be theatrical and stuff - just have it remain on through the whole cycle, and it would give you something to look at.

And honestly, one of the best things I think the park can do for The Crypt is to ask the employees there to be a little more serious. Particularly, I've had ride operators over the PA sing "If you wanna ride The Crypt, clap your hands" while the restraints are checked. Others do the nearly-unintelligible safety spiel in a baby voice. I'm totally for having fun on the job, and it doesn't have to be monotonous. But there's a time and a place, and it only makes the ride more of a laughing stock. Perhaps a great solution to that is to have The Bat demon from the pre-show have a pre-recorded spiel while loading. That keeps the story consistency, and eliminates employees from killing the mood... No offense to anyone here.

I agree with you regarding the spiel issue. To be honest, amplified voices spieling all day really gets tiresome after the 2nd or 3rd ride. This is definitely for another topic, but at least for the coaster type rides where you are 'committed' to being in the queue for a while, is it really necessary to do the same spiel for every single train? I'd settle for once every three cycles...

I may be alone in thinking this, but last summer, I would stand in line at either CP or KI and think to myself... "how many times do they have to say "push down pull up and exit to your ride, enjoy the rest of your day at Kings Island/Cedar Point" - On top of the fact the last part of the statement is said in such a disingenuous tone I sometimes am tempted to reply "do you really mean it?"

I thought I had read somewhere that Disney CM's aren't allowed to say "enjoy the rest of your day at xxxxx". I'll have to investigate that... But in any event, it would make sense to me on a ride such as Beast which is pretty straight forward when it comes to restraints... at the absolute minimum... when you see a guest with difficulty that a crew member cannot get to expeditiously, then make the spiel. I think, in fairness, guests are so used to hearing the spiels, they are totally disregarded as background noise.

On top of the fact in a way, I see the constant spieling as somewhat rude. You may be trying to have a conversation with the members of your party, but you have to fight to be heard because you are speaking over the spieler, plus the other guests in the queue house who are also fighting to speak over that person with the mic, and you...

TRTR - Spiels in the ride chamber really should not even be needed. Everything you need to know should be addressed by an operator on the gondola at latest, but really should be addressed in pre-show. The acoustics of that room don't really make it easy to understand what is being said. Perhaps a sign would be more beneficial ...

just my 2 cents

Could someone please educate me on something, I don't understand why when CF took over KI, the Crypt got "de-thrilled". I understand they lost the Tomb Raider licensing, but why did they decide to take the exciting parts out of the ride cycle. I never rode it before they change so I've only heard about more flips and better movement. Did Paramount own the ride cycles as well?

Could someone please educate me on something, I don't understand why when CF took over KI, the Crypt got "de-thrilled". I understand they lost the Tomb Raider licensing, but why did they decide to take the exciting parts out of the ride cycle. I never rode it before they change so I've only heard about more flips and better movement. Did Paramount own the ride cycles as well?

I'm no expert.

Cedar Fair was obviously required to remove the themeing, and music, and stuff like that. What was left, then, is a ride taking place mostly in darkness with no special effects. At that point, there was no need for the ride cycle that featured "hangtime" over lava, or lifted you to the goddess or rocketed you towards the stalactites... Because those features were not there any longer. So the four-flip, "tame" cycle used for Tomb Raider was essentially useless.

To compensate for the loss of themeing, it would appear that Cedar Fair had a new program implemented - one that was far, far more thrilling, flipping the gondola nine times (most of which were those free-flipping, fast-paced, blender-style flips, and not the lock and hold flips that the ride features now). The nine-flip cycle was equivalent to the one that has been used at Kings Dominion's

since it opened in 2005 as Tomb Raider: FireFall. There was even a sign outside the ride that boasted "This ride now has MORE THRILL!"

Our Crypt operated with that 9-flip program for the entirety of the 2008 season, and until May (as I recall) in 2009. Then, it was closed, the rising wall in the preshow room that had separated the ride from the queue was removed, and the ride began flipping twice.

Obviously, it's never been expressly said why our ride went from nine to two flips. However, people often say of our "World's Only" Giant Top Spin, "There's a reason they only built one." It has been plagued with downtime since opening in 2002, sometimes for months at a time. And as you can imagine, it feels hopeless to replace light-bulbs and fans and misters and fog machines when the ride itself is barely operable. How HUSS recommended the nine-flip cycle, I'm not sure. But popular opinion is that it was simply too much for the ride to handle, and that it's on its "last leg" as far as functionality. Tomb Raider's four-flip cycle (combined with the exposure to mist and water jets, which the ride was not made for unlike it's Virginian cousin) appeared to have put a lot of stress on the machine, and running the highly intense (as anyone here who rode it can attest to) nine-flip cycle would seem to have put it over the edge. And again, anyone who rode it will agree - our ride is very, very powerful. The downward swoops had so much force behind them, and the weight of the gondola was so great. It didn't feel acrobatic or aerodynamic like it's siblings. It felt heavy and almost frighteningly forceful. I used to say that if I an elephant were standing at the bottom of the chamber when the ride began it's downward swing (with the motors audible growing in pitch and volume), the elephant would be absolutely obliterated without a dent to the ride.

My interpretation is that they found that this two-flip cycle is about as intense as they can make it while still having some guarantee that the ride can operate normally instead of always being broken.

So in a somewhat ironic twist, a new (9) program was installed to replace the "un-thrilling" cycle (4) of Tomb Raider. The end result was that the ride needed to operate an even tamer cycle (2); the attempt to make the ride more thrilling resulted it having half as many flips as it did before.

You're right. I had already gone back and edited, but was too late.

If memory serves, it operated as Tomb Raider in 2007, and was changed to The Crypt (and thus, gained the 9 flip cycle) in 2008, spilling over a bit into 2009. Does that sound right?

As I have heard on here before, paramount decided to go with a different braking system on Tomb Raider The Ride, than what was recommended by HUSS. I wonder if the braking system that was supposed to have been installed on the ride, could be put in now. Maybe this would allow for more reliability and a more intense ride cycle, without it falling apart? I hope so!

From what I recall, the options were a friction-based braking system, or a pneumatic, air-powered breaking system. Again, that's worth looking up because I don't precisely recall. And I'm not sure which of those the ride actually has (and thus I don't know which HUSS recommended instead). But I think those were the two.

However, part of me thinks that if it were really that simple, wouldn't they have had new brakes installed before the 2008 season?

I don't doubt that the brakes were part of the issue with Tomb Raider - it had a hard time grabbing the gondola as it entered the hang-time, and thus the computer would e-stop the ride when it sensed that the gondola was off from its intended position. But I think the problems have evolved far past that, and that the entirety of the ride mechanism is just very stressed and over-sensitive based partly on the brakes, partly on the environment, partly on its wear-and-tear from 2008, partly from its exposure to the elements during Tomb Raider, etc. It's just been beaten around, and all while being the first of its kind in the world, so no one's quite sure how to fix the problems. They're writing the book as they go.

In many ways, the Giant Top Spin we have was a prototype (that, oddly, was never duplicated). It opened with 77 seats. When it was converted, to The Crypt, it was reduced to 56 seats by the removal of the front row. And now, if you look at HUSS' official site, Giant Top Spins are advertised as having 56 seats. In a very big way, that can read as HUSS "admitting defeat," and saying that 77 seats were just too much. Now, any Giant Top Spins sold from here on out (HA!) will start with two-thirds the capacity that ours started with. Notable indeed!

I wonder if the outcome would be different now that Ohio requires amusement park rides (or is it just roller coasters?) to obey all manufacturer recommendations? Did HUSS formally recommend one brake over another, enough so that any ride in Ohio would be required to use their decision given todays laws? Might the ride still be operating at full strength? Interesting thought...

If Ohio law requires ALL amusement park rides to follow manufacturer recommendations, wouldn't the recommended brakes have been installed to comply with the law?

You're assuming that HUSS did in fact make that recommendation or that the story is correct.

There's a lot of people taking liberty with information in this topic and frankly, a lot of it is incorrect.

That information on the braking system was posted here a while back, not even in this topic. I believe it was posted by Interpreter. He is a member known for being truthful, so I wouldn't think that he would make it up.

I guess we will see in...(let me check my countdown) 27 days 21 hours and 13 minutes, what the "new" Crypt will be like :lol:

If Ohio law requires ALL amusement park rides to follow manufacturer recommendations, wouldn't the recommended brakes have been installed to comply with the law?

You're assuming that HUSS did in fact make that recommendation or that the story is correct.

There's a lot of people taking liberty with information in this topic and frankly, a lot of it is incorrect.

Yes sir, I was going with the "what-ifs" and Huss making a particular recommendation...

I have a hard time believing Huss made said recommendation. Since, The Racer's manufacturer's recommended setting each car forward, and as a consequence they were, why didn't the Crypt receive new brakes? Come to think of it, how do we know they did not? Could it be possible that these new brakes were just as ineffective or even worse than their predecessors?

Does anyone else miss the old TRTR? \

actually, NO! my first ride was on it when it was new & one of the water jets got me in the eye. because of that, i never gave it a shot until it became the crypt & was tamed WAY down. afterwards i was ok with the original product (minus the water in the eye).

Is the new Crypt, just a walk through into a boarded up dead end with no escape? If it is, it owuld still be more exciting than last year! :lol:

Seriously though, whatever they are doing looks pretty cool!

I wonder if the wooden door raises up for guests to walk though, then on the far left side it is blocked by stones, because there is no need for guests to walk though that part anymore since that row doesn't exist

It looks like they are installing a new "manual" door. Great job KI! Even if the topspin itself is not being changed, it is still nice to see some TLC being given to the ride, plus the possibility of having an actual theme once again.:) Just the thought of having a nicely themed ride would make me enjoy this attraction %150 more.

@ahank's comment/picture:

:blink:

DUDE. That looks AWESOME. Obviously the two wooden doors are for the two rows of the ride itself. I wonder if they're simply swinging doors or maybe a smaller version the original TR:TR door that rolls up.

EDIT: Just noticed that it only appears to be one layer to that "wall", so it may just be swinging doors. Still, freakin' SWEET.

This is the door from the preshow room to the ride chamber right? Not the Antechamber to the preshow room?

Yes, it is the door from the preshow room to the ride chamber. Where the original door was removed and you could see the ride operatingdry.gif . There is also hope for the circular door from the antechamber to the preshow room, as another twitter picture showed the circular door partially closed. Maybe we will have both doors back.

This is the door from the preshow room to the ride chamber right? Not the Antechamber to the preshow room?

Yes, it is the door from the preshow room to the ride chamber. Where the original door was removed and you could see the ride operatingdry.gif . There is also hope for the circular door from the antechamber to the preshow room, as another twitter picture showed the circular door partially closed. Maybe we will have both doors back.

Of course I'm extraordinarily more excited now, just knowing that the ride is being separated from the queue line. How fantastic it is to think that, once again, there will be a sense of mystery surrounding the ride, even for those who have ridden it. Perhaps by now most visitors have caught on to what the ride is, but it may still be thrilling to not be 100% sure what it does.

That being said, hopefully this means that it will do a little more, even if that only means some new lighting, and some pounding tribal music to really set the tone. Either way, I couldn't be happier already!

EDIT:

And another new photo:

270407180.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1301950466&Signature=cGYhkVY6O0FJvTP05G%2BHhlOmweg%3D

Accompanied by the message:

Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes inside the Crypt?

Of course I'm not thrilled about the very obvious fake snakes remaining, but this continues to bode well for the queue being spruced up a bit at the very least. The fact that this ride is being giving any attention at all is enough to float my boat!

It will even create excitement this year, for those of us who have ridden it in the past since nobody knows what changes there have been to the ride cycle, it will be a mystery to all of us, since the ride will no longer be visible. I can't wait to see The Crypt on opening day! If they do a good job with the theme and improve the ride cycle I will be SO happy!